Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving across country

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 1:01 pm
I hope to move from the east coast to the Midwest at the end of the month. I was wondering if anyone knows how it works with movers. Its about a 12 hour drive away. How long does it typically take for them to get from here to there? Do they pick up a couple peoples things and then go or just mine (or is that dependent on how much stuff I have)? If I want to send it a week or two before we get there do they charge extra to hold the stuff for a week or is it normal that it takes that long? About how much money are we looking at? Would it be cheaper to rent a truck and drive it ourselves (maybe just hire movers to help with the schlepping at each location?)

Any other tips or advice or things I should know or keep in mind?

Tia!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 9:50 pm
Whether you share or not depends on your movers, I think. We had enough to pack a truck solid, but either way, we hired movers expecting them to only drive our stuff. We only had an 8 hour drive though, which they can do in a day. I think there would be an extra charge for holding, why do you want to send it so early?

It may be cheaper to use a Uhaul, but are you bringing a car? Cars? Towing them? But do you have kids that need room? Or one car and each spouse drives (one for the truck, one for the car)? Or are you thinking of towing the truck? Make sure you can drive it safely...

I spent about 4000 on my cross-country move IIRC. But they were insured (vs random people to help load/unload the truck), and for us it was very worth it. I was also coming in with 10 years/6 kids worth of stuff...

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 1:28 am
We won't be bringing a car. We are 2 adults and a toddler. And no where close to 10years of stuff. Right now most of our stuff is in storage so was wondering if its cheaper to keep it in storage or cheaper to send ahead.

I also priced a move out on a couple websites. Got one quote of over 3000 and another of 1500. Should I be weary of it being so much cheaper?

I also see uhaul has something called ubox where you fill a container (or 2 or 3) and they transport it for you. Looks like it would take 9-10 days for that. Its cheaper then movers so I'm thinking about it. Anyone have experience with that or any cross country move?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 1:45 am
We've used upack.com twice and have been very happy. You arrange the packing and unpacking and they drive it. You pay for the space you use.

http://www.upack.com/about/compare-movers.asp

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 2:20 am
I used a moving company to move from the east coast to the west coast. I was comfortable having professionals who were insured doing the moving. A moving company will take more time simply because their drivers are limited by the number of hours they may drive in a day or on a shift. We drove our two cars cross country, I had the kids, my husband had the pets. Sometimes we switched. Since we knew the moving van would take longer we were able to stop and see the sights along the way. Our movers were fantastic and not a single item was broken.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 7:56 am
I used city moving for a move from the east cost to the west coast. They were fantastic!!! I highly highly recommend them. We are also a couple with a toddler. The cost was just under $3000 (obviously the cost will vary a lot depending on how much stuff you take). Since the drive is long they told us that it would take anywhere between 7 and 21 days for out stuff to arive. Bh our stuff shows up after 9 days! They send a private truck to our house for pickup and then transfer to a big shared truck for the drive. The company includes 30 days of free storage from the time of pickup.
Please let me know if you have any other questions...
I really reccomend city moving. If you call them ask for Colin Crandel. .

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 9:52 pm
We moved from the midwest to the east coast. Our stuff was in storage for a while until we found an apartment to rent. When we finally were ready to move it took three weeks from when we asked for our stuff delivered until it came. They were waiting to fill the truck with other people's stuff. In the end they reimbursed us for the delay which means we got back almost the entire cost of the move.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating