Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why would u consider home births
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 9:02 pm
amother wrote:

How far you live from the hospital certainly makes a difference - in many cases, it makes the home birth a safer option. (Having a trained and prepared person present for a planned home birth is safer than risking an unattended roadside birth.)

Unexpected things can happen - yes, as with all matters in life. We choose our risks. Your drive to the hospital contains risks too.

We live ten minutes from the nearest hospital. My next-door neighbor chose a home birth. Her pregnancy was perfect. She was the perfect candidate for home birth. Her midwife had ten years experience as a labor and delivery nurse in the hospital. The baby came out fine...

But the midwife waited an hour and a half for the placenta before transferring my friend to the hospital. Hatzalah took her to the hospital. She had lost so much blood that they told her husband that she might not live. Boruch Hashem she is alive today.

If it works then you're a hero. If you die then your kids are orphans. If your baby dies then are you a murderer?

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 9:10 pm
amother wrote:
I can understand why someone might want to give birth at home. My thing is how do u take care of your newborn at home? After birth im so tired and in so much pain I dont even have energy to hold my baby. I love the fact that the baby is in the nursery n I can have it as little or as much as I want

My husband is in charge of diapering and cookingf. I do the feeding.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 9:16 pm
amother wrote:
We live ten minutes from the nearest hospital. My next-door neighbor chose a home birth. Her pregnancy was perfect. She was the perfect candidate for home birth. Her midwife had ten years experience as a labor and delivery nurse in the hospital. The baby came out fine...

But the midwife waited an hour and a half for the placenta before transferring my friend to the hospital. Hatzalah took her to the hospital. She had lost so much blood that they told her husband that she might not live. Boruch Hashem she is alive today.

If it works then you're a hero. If you die then your kids are orphans. If your baby dies then are you a murderer?

Like I said, if you choose a midwife who believes that a transfer is a personal failure, it's not a good thing. That midwife does not sound like she was well trained. An hour and a half of hemorrhaging before transfer?

- If your baby dies in the hospital from iatrogenic injuries, are you a murderer?
- If you had an epidural and you are paralyzed, are you a hero?
- If you die from C-section complications, your kids are still orphans.

Home birth is not for everyone.
Transfer is a GOOD thing.
A trained midwife is imperative.
And then let Hashem make the decisions. EVERYTHING comes with risks. Just for some reason, we get blamed for home births that go bad, and get a free pass for hospital bad outcomes.

Jeanette

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 9:22 pm
eema of 3 wrote:
I was in no way trying to "replace" anything. I was just pointing out that THAT anecdote of a hospital birth was is not necessarily the norm.
For me personally, I have had too many traumatic experiences during labor and delivery to even think about having a home birth. But that's ME. I can understand why someone would want to do it. I just don't like that hospitals are made out to be these horrible, evil, dangerous places. Home birth works for you? That's great. Hospital birth works for me. So don't go knocking my choice just because you made a different choice.

Who is knocking hospital births? Did someone start a thread asking why in the world anyone would choose a hospital birth? Maybe you should reread the OP.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 9:27 pm
I had a home birth for my second child. I arrived at the hospital for my first at 9 centimeters dilated. My oldest brother was born at home-unplanned. I felt safer having a planned home birth.

I also did my research. My midwife knew that if there was any reason at all to transfer me or have me give birth at a hospital from the start, she was to direct me accordingly. She had admitting rights at a hospital and was fine transferring. You really have to feel confident in your midwife.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 9:35 pm
Jeanette wrote:
Who is knocking hospital births? Did someone start a thread asking why in the world anyone would choose a hospital birth? Maybe you should reread the OP.

Maybe YOU should reread. I was responding to all the ANECDOTES about how bad hospital birth is. And I very clearly said, more than once, that if home birth works for you that's great.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 9:49 pm
eema of 3 wrote:
Maybe YOU should reread. I was responding to all the ANECDOTES about how bad hospital birth is. And I very clearly said, more than once, that if home birth works for you that's great.

I apologize that you felt attacked.

I was not trying to say that hospital birth is bad (it is not necessarily, as I posted earlier I did have a very positive hospital birth). I was trying to point out that the playing field is more level than some think - hospital birth is not always so much better than home birth. In some cases, it quite obviously is, and if someone feels safer in a hospital then that is 100% the right choice for her.

My main point is that hospital vs. home is not safety vs. irresponsibility. It is a different set of risks, undertaken by someone who values what home birth offers or wishes to avoid some of the downsides of hospital birth.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 10:02 pm
momofqts wrote:
There are sometimes pink flags before red ones, but nit always. Homebirth is ok 95%of the time. But is it really worth being at home if u end being part of that 5%?. Just a few things to think about, after birth hemorrhage, babys heart rate dropping during pushing, cord around the babys neck multiple times. These are scenarios that cannot be predicted but can have dire consequences chv! Im not out to convince anyone, let each person do as they see fit but its really hard for me to understand. And no, I do not appreciate being woken up to take my blood pressure, lack of comfortable bed, shower etc... but I also cant imagine taking all the risks at home.

Let's speak about hemorrhage, since you mentioned it. Great idea.
I had a couple cases of excessive blood loss, one which was pretty close to PPH, but didn't reach that far because I had a midwife with me at the first sign something was not right. My midwives had pitocin and methergine. Bleeding subsided, B"H. They rechecked my iron levels by doing a home visit on Yom Tov a few days later to make sure they were going up sufficiently (that would not have happened with a hospital based practice). Contrast that with my sister who hemorrhaged and only was dealt with in the hospital because B"H it was Shabbos and her husband couldn't go home yet so he happened to be by her bed when he realized she gushed blood and had passed out. He went and flagged down a nurse. There was no medical care there with her, and if it hadn't been Shabbos, no one would have been by her side. So, tell me, is it that clear that hospitals are definitely the best place to deal with excessive blood loss? If I hadn't responded to the medications CH"V, they would have called in for a transfer with units of blood on standby for transfusion. 10 minutes away. How long would it have taken for someone in the hospital to make the same assessment after finally realizing not everything was hunky-dory and able to get units up to me? Who knows? It's not black and white.

Cord wrapped around the neck is actually a normal variation of birth. I've had 2 births with nuchal cord x2 and x3. One was completely fine, no issues. The other had several things going on, and it ended up similar to my first one born in a hospital. In both cases, there was a fear of meconium aspiration. In both cases, the attendants dealt with it properly. In the hospital one, they called in a neonatologist who whisked him away but threatened me with a C-section (and I would have had one had I not switched practices at 38 weeks; we questioned the former OB's on-call partner) before my midwife stepped in and let me push him out. He was fine, though he did have his cord cut early and was anemic. My other one? The midwives provided him with O2 since they have training in neonatal resuscitation (I had 2 with me). He was fine, and the pediatrician saw him within a few hours and said the same thing. He is a perfectly healthy boy B"H who suffered no long term effects from his traumatic birth. Did I take an unnecessary risk by birthing him at home? Seems like medical care was not compromised at all.

And I've had a few who would have been born on the road, unassisted, and definitely unplanned had I not had a planned homebirth. Both middle of the night precipitous labors, where I would need childcare to come to me before heading out for a 15 minute drive. My last birth was 1.5 hours from wake up time to birth. With 6 other kids at home, it's not an option to just leave the house the second you realize it's labor (took me 20 minutes to realize I was really in active labor, and it wasn't just that my waters were leaking with no contractions).

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 10:10 pm
amother wrote:
I apologize that you felt attacked.

I was not trying to say that hospital birth is bad (it is not necessarily, as I posted earlier I did have a very positive hospital birth). I was trying to point out that the playing field is more level than some think - hospital birth is not always so much better than home birth. In some cases, it quite obviously is, and if someone feels safer in a hospital then that is 100% the right choice for her.

My main point is that hospital vs. home is not safety vs. irresponsibility. It is a different set of risks, undertaken by someone who values what home birth offers or wishes to avoid some of the downsides of hospital birth.

With THAT I agree 100%.
MY point is that's it's a very personal choice, and no one she be made to feel guilty about the choice she makes. I've researched home birth, and I've researched birthing centers, and I've researched hospitals. At the end of the day, for ME, that's the right choice. What I really dislike is the people who try to say how hospital births are BAD. Or that homeborths are BAD. Yes, people have negative experiences, but that happens everywhere, and in every aspect of life. You love the school you send your kids to? That's great, but I sent my kids there and I think it's a rotten place!!! You think that guy is gods gift to man kind? That's terrific, but I happen to know first hand that he's a scumbag. You loved that Doctor? That's amazing for you, but his bedside manner really turned me off.....see what I mean?

Jeanette

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 10:29 pm
eema of 3 wrote:
With THAT I agree 100%.
MY point is that's it's a very personal choice, and no one she be made to feel guilty about the choice she makes. I've researched home birth, and I've researched birthing centers, and I've researched hospitals. At the end of the day, for ME, that's the right choice. What I really dislike is the people who try to say how hospital births are BAD. Or that homeborths are BAD. Yes, people have negative experiences, but that happens everywhere, and in every aspect of life. You love the school you send your kids to? That's great, but I sent my kids there and I think it's a rotten place!!! You think that guy is gods gift to man kind? That's terrific, but I happen to know first hand that he's a scumbag. You loved that Doctor? That's amazing for you, but his bedside manner really turned me off.....see what I mean?

That's all well and good, but I still think you are missing the point of this thread. Someone asked why anyone would choose a home birth. So people answered why home birth was the right choice for them. And that includes many people who had negative hospital experiences. I'm not sure why you decided the thread was about you or your decision to have hospital births.

gp2.0

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 11:35 pm
amother wrote:

You say "if it works" as if home birthers are trying something crazy that no medical professional would support. When in reality, outside your daled amos, thousands of medical professionals support home birth.

Pooh

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 11:38 pm
I think I would love the idea if I didn't NEED c sections. But I suspect my husband may be too chicken to let me do it

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 6:32 am
Jeanette wrote:
That's all well and good, but I still think you are missing the point of this thread. Someone asked why anyone would choose a home birth. So people answered why home birth was the right choice for them. And that includes many people who had negative hospital experiences. I'm not sure why you decided the thread was about you or your decision to have hospital births.

I'm not sure where you get that I think it's about me. Again, I have no problem with people making their own choices. I was just responding to something that I read. If you want to continue this conversation, where you seem to be attaching ME, you can message me.

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 9:29 am
Maybe wrote:
http://jennifermargulis.net/blog/2014/09/why-doctors-nurses-and-other-medical-professionals-are-choosing-to-birth-at-home/

http://idahomidwives.org/bmj-s.....birth

http://www.bmj.com/content/330.....ehom=

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12......html

I only read the NYT article. This recommendation is exclusively for England, and only for under half of all pregnancies (48% of pregnancies are considered low risk enough). The recommendation is also a bit self-serving since its much cheaper for the socialized medicine organization recommending it. Either way you can't just read an article like that and assume that it means home birth is safer across the board in different countries with different medical infrastructures.

I'm glad all you ladies had safe, healthy and happy births at home though!

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 10:21 am
amother wrote:
Baby being in a posterior position (face forward like you say) does not require a c section. I had mine born face up vaginally. It was very painful and lots of back labor, but it is definitely possible.

I had 2 posterior births at home. Not all reason for c section.

ruchelbuckle

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 10:33 am
Disclaimer: I have never had a home birth and not planning on it....but

1) Things can go wrong in a hospital. Hospitals are not perfect. Plenty of interventions they give you there have risks. Very low risks, but risks. Have you ever heard of someone given the wrong medication in a hospital? It happens.
2) as someone else pointed out, in a hospital--- they take care of you on THEIR schedule. If it's convienent for someone to check your blood pressure at 3:30 in the am, that's when they will do it.
3) Have you ever walked out of the hospital when you're ready to leave? I haven't. with 2 of my kids, I had to sit there all day while THEY do all the paperwork, check the baby (even though I am going to the pediatrician tommorrow, etc...) One time they wanted to do an x-ray on my 2 day old baby's testicle because they had some concern. We were waiting around for some ridiculous test (my pediatrician said it wasn't necessary) because THEY'RE concerned about a lawsuit. I eventually told them: "I don't consent and I'm leaving. If it bothers you, then call the police." Rolling Eyes

I could go on and on.....but yeah, I totally understand why many women with low-risk pregnancies choose to deliver at home.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 1:53 pm
There's an in between too. Not everyone has horrific hospital experiences. If you use a midwife in a hospital, or a doctor who respects your choices and preferences, youre not forced into anything and you are treated respectfully. Many women have b'h very calm pleasant births in hospitals, without unnecessary interventions.

We don't have to paint hospital births as evil terrible choices, when there are so so many variables.

Jeanette

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 1:58 pm
amother wrote:
There's an in between too. Not everyone has horrific hospital experiences. If you use a midwife in a hospital, or a doctor who respects your choices and preferences, youre not forced into anything and you are treated respectfully. Many women have b'h very calm pleasant births in hospitals, without unnecessary interventions.

We don't have to paint hospital births as evil terrible choices, when there are so so many variables.

No, not everyone has terrible hospital experiences. But for those who do, homebirth is an option. And homebirths are not for everyone just as hospital births are not for everyone. Seems that there are people who can't get past the mindset that we ALL need to make the same choices.

gold21

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 2:07 pm
I wouldn't homebirth because

1. There's no epidural Tongue Out

2. I don't see labor and delivery as an "experience", I see it as a means to an end

3. I'm a very cautious type of person and feel safer in a hospital

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 2:36 pm
I would not choose a home birth because I feel much safer in a hospital. With my first I had an emergency c section (sudden fetal distress with No warning) being that the hospital is 12-15 minutes from my home I would have lost my baby since I would never had made it to to OR on time.
It's true that sometimes things are done on their schedule and maybe they push more medication, but I'd rather that and come home with a live healthy baby.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics