Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Boss tells you to lie

Basya

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 10:02 am
What to do?

greenfire

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 10:03 am
DON'T

or tell him to pay you double ... Twisted Evil

Basya

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 10:31 am
Yeah- but it's to get us out of something that was not my fault but he is blaming on me. Rolling Eyes

TammyTammy

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 10:32 am
While all lying is generally discouraged, it really depends on your position and the type of lie.

A receptionist who is told to tell a caller that the boss is not in (when he, in fact, is, but just doesn't want to take the call) is not a terribly big deal.

Other lies, however, can be downright unethical or can land you in jail.

IOW, we need more information to give you good advice.

Tammy

Basya

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 10:37 am
Okay- more information - We got notices in the mail over 3 months ago and I was told by a different boss (there are 3 of them) to file them away- they are fine. So I did, now, in short, we got a $66,000 tax bill and the lawyer said we had 40 days to appeal the notices that we got previously- and if we didn't, we have to pay the bill. My boss wants me to tell the lawyer that we moved in July (true) and we had problems with the mail and we got it late and technically we are still in the 40 day period (not true). The boss is blaming me that I didnt show him the notices as well as the other boss (even though its not his department, and I know he would not have even known what they are)

greenfire

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 10:38 am
see but you could get away with that with a truth ... "unavailable" vs "not in" ... yup the details might be relevant in helping with this stitch ...

TammyTammy

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 10:41 am
Basya wrote:
Okay- more information - We got notices in the mail over 3 months ago and I was told by a different boss (there are 3 of them) to file them away- they are fine. So I did, now, in short, we got a $66,000 tax bill and the lawyer said we had 40 days to appeal the notices that we got previously- and if we didn't, we have to pay the bill. My boss wants me to tell the lawyer that we moved in July (true) and we had problems with the mail and we got it late and technically we are still in the 40 day period (not true). The boss is blaming me that I didnt show him the notices as well as the other boss (even though its not his department, and I know he would not have even known what they are)

He wants you to make a false statement to an IRS lawyer?? shock shock

*That's* the type of lie that can land you in jail.

Tammy

Basya

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 10:42 am
Not to an IRS lawyer- to our personal lawyer who said he may be able to help us - he knows the tax assessor.

TammyTammy

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 11:00 am
Basya wrote:
Not to an IRS lawyer- to our personal lawyer who said he may be able to help us - he knows the tax assessor.

IANAL, so I can't vouch for the legality of lying to your own lawyer when he is likely to use the information you provide -- but it's safe to say that this isn't just a simple lie. If you know a lawyer, you might want to quickly ask his/her opinion.

Tammy

Basya

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 11:06 am
Not sure what IANAL stands for - but I hear you. Do you think I am at fault for the situation- like I feel bad - but not bad enough to lie. When my boss told me to lie yesterday- I asked him like - could u? And he said wait till Wednesday and see what he comes up with- so haven't heard back from him- but if he asks me to call-I will tell him I don't feel comfortable. I HATE THESE SITUATIONS!!!!

greenfire

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 11:12 am
I'm gonna guess I Am Not A Lawyer ... lol ...

tell him to talk to lawyer ... beginning and end ... do NOT get caught in the middle ...

or simply ask for more time due to the move ... not a lie at all ...

TammyTammy

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 11:24 am
Basya wrote:
Not sure what IANAL stands for - but I hear you. Do you think I am at fault for the situation- like I feel bad - but not bad enough to lie. When my boss told me to lie yesterday- I asked him like - could u? And he said wait till Wednesday and see what he comes up with- so haven't heard back from him- but if he asks me to call-I will tell him I don't feel comfortable. I HATE THESE SITUATIONS!!!!

Greenfire is correct. IANAL = I Am Not A Lawyer. If you know one who is willing to give you some quick free legal advise, take it.

As to whether or not it's your fault -- I can't really say. I don't know the setup of your office, what departments your boss and the other bosses have, what their relationships are to each other (partners? supervisors?) and what your personal responsibilities and reporting obligations are to your bosses.

Tammy

Sue DaNym

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 1:11 pm
lying is wrong period. despite what others above right it doesnt make a diff whethr its the boss isnt in type or lying to a lawyer. how quickly did we forget midvar sheker tirchack?

faigie

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 1:28 pm
id get out of that office. seriously, id leave. I wouldnt lie for the boss............when it all hits the fan, who is going to pay for YOUR legal council?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics