Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
DD angry I spoke up
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 12:56 pm
creditcards wrote:
I'm not saying not to take care of the problem. But for sure speak up for your kid when needed. Not sure if Ops daughter needed it. But if she couldn't do it after being coached then she needs it.

What if she didn't want to speak up, even after being coached? I have had plenty of situations where my kids did not want me to call or get involved, but they were unwilling to bring it up with the teacher either.

By age 14, that is their right. (Unless we are talking about a situation where they are at risk). There are a lot of factors that kids take into account when deciding whether to speak up - is it worth it, is it socially acceptable, will speaking up do more harm than benefit.

We shouldn't be forcefully getting involved at this stage. We can give our advice, and then give our teen space to decide.

creditcards

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 1:14 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
What if she didn't want to speak up, even after being coached? I have had plenty of situations where my kids did not want me to call or get involved, but they were unwilling to bring it up with the teacher either.

By age 14, that is their right. (Unless we are talking about a situation where they are at risk). There are a lot of factors that kids take into account when deciding whether to speak up - is it worth it, is it socially acceptable, will speaking up do more harm than benefit.

We shouldn't be forcefully getting involved at this stage. We can give our advice, and then give our teen space to decide.

I think OPs daughter was upset after the fact when the teacher came up with a completely different story. Not sure she would have been against it if OP would have asked her before.
If a teacher bullies a student the mother should stick up for her.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 1:29 pm
octopus wrote:
Don't worry your call did do something even though the administration backed their teacher. This teacher will be more careful hopefully. I've always found that when schools get defensive and in the moment it seems like the phone call did nothing, in actuality , the "event" never repeated itself again.
Anyway, I think its fine you called. As long its a one time thing and you are not constantly calling the school.

I agree.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 4:22 pm
OP, Im wondering if, at the end of the day, your dd is actually secretly happy that you spoke up for her and had her back.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics