Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
At how many weeks weaning

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 8:54 am
How many weeks did u start weaning?

amother
Hunter

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 8:56 am
What's your question? Most people generally don't wean at weeks, more like months or years.

mushkamothers

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 8:57 am
Weeks? Is there a reason you want to wean? Do you need to?

gootlfriends

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 8:59 am
It depends on your goal. Some people nurse the first year. Others switch to formula at 6 months or when they return to work at 6 weeks. Once the child starts sleeping more at night it is easier to wean because your body is getting signals to make less milk already. I introduce bottles between 3 and 6 weeks and add if necessary. The less you nurse the less you make. It takes 2 weeks to lose your milk in a healthy way. You cannot stop cold turkey. You start by nursing every other feeding if you want to go faster. I imagine kellymom.com describes weaning quite well.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 9:19 am
Weaning I mean to start solids

amother
Ultramarine

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 9:24 am
Either 4 months or 6 months or somewhere between there.

metacognizant

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 9:25 am
Starting solids and weaning are not really the same thing. Lots of babies/toddlers happily exist on a combination of solids and nursing (or formula) for a long time. I start my babies on solids when they start to grab food off my plate and put it in their mouths. My baby is 5-1/2 months old and I’ve literally started this week. But for her, solids mean that when I eat something I end up giving her a small amount to play with and sometimes she manages to eat it. If what I’m eating is hard/dry/crunchy and too hard for a baby to deal with I pre-chew it for her and slip a tiny little pre-chewed bolus into her mouth, otherwise I just let her have whatever she can grab. There is a saying “food under 1 is just for fun.” Meaning, babies under 1 benefit from playing with food- learning how to safely get it into their mouths and swallow. But under 1 the main source of nutrition should be breast milk or formula. You can google “baby led solids” for more information on this approach.

amother
Skyblue

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 9:26 am
amother OP wrote:

I start at 6 months unless the baby wants earlier but I don’t wean

amother
Tealblue

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 9:33 am
5 months old because she wouldn't take a bottle and was occaionally at the sitter.

I am still nursing her at 26 months old.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 9:36 am
My doctor says has to have all 4
4months minimum
At least 17lbs
Can sit
Shows interest in food when you’re eating it

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 9:38 am
metacognizant wrote:
Starting solids and weaning are not really the same thing. Lots of babies/toddlers happily exist on a combination of solids and nursing (or formula) for a long time. I start my babies on solids when they start to grab food off my plate and put it in their mouths. My baby is 5-1/2 months old and I’ve literally started this week. But for her, solids mean that when I eat something I end up giving her a small amount to play with and sometimes she manages to eat it. If what I’m eating is hard/dry/crunchy and too hard for a baby to deal with I pre-chew it for her and slip a tiny little pre-chewed bolus into her mouth, otherwise I just let her have whatever she can grab. There is a saying “food under 1 is just for fun.” Meaning, babies under 1 benefit from playing with food- learning how to safely get it into their mouths and swallow. But under 1 the main source of nutrition should be breast milk or formula. You can google “baby led solids” for more information on this approach.

I believe in England the term is used differently hence why the name baby led weaning was originally used

amother
Outerspace

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 9:39 am
Interested that you call it weaning. Weaning generally means to stop nursing.

And even for introducing solids, people usually refer to the age in months, as in 6 months, not in weeks.

I usually start solids around 7 months.

amother
Hunter

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 9:44 am
amother OP wrote:

I start at around 9 months, but you can start at 6.

amother
Gardenia

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 11:02 am
Its not weaning.
You still nurse.
Around 5-7 months I'll start with a little solids...

I'll still nurse anywhere from baby13 mo to kid who was
3.5 yrs old. (Yeah that one was too long, even for me.)

On average I nurse my kids abt 18 months. Personally I that's ideal. It's so loving as soothing to them.

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 11:21 am
amother Aubergine wrote:
I believe in England the term is used differently hence why the name baby led weaning was originally used

Yes, that is my understanding as well.

People saying OP is wrong, this is probably a language barrier. I've also heard of a 'weaning table' which is a short table with short chairs for introducing solids. It is not a table for 'nursing less.' Wink

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 11:22 am
OP, I start around six months as per recommendations.

mushkamothers

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 1:34 pm
4 months is outdated recommendation. Not before 6 months for optimal gut health. I'm also a big fan of baby led approach so basically giving them real food. Protein, fat, cooked veggies.

amother
Bluebell

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 1:42 pm
https://kidseatincolor.com/sta.....tips/

This is a great website.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics