Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Degrees
Previous  1  2

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 10:01 pm
No my degree was not worth it. My masters alone for Speech-Language Pathology was 96k. I make half of that. Its only worth it if I get into the DOE and get benefits and a pension etc. I regret my career choice most days.
I am on medicaid. No health insurance benefits from my company.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 10:03 pm
There are plenty of people without degrees that are earning just enough to disqualify thrn from food stamps ans Medicaid. I’m not sure that the degree has anything to do with this. If anything having that degree can open up certain very high paying jobs which means a lot of taxes but also a very fat paycheck (but you can get a high paying job without a degree too).

I have an accounting degree. Yes I’m paying a lot of taxes but insurance is mostly free from my company. Salary is in the 6 digits so I would say it was worth it for me considering that my college costed like 30-40k

amother
NeonGreen

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 10:09 pm
amother Coral wrote:
Complaining about the large amount of money your income requires you to pay to taxes is just like complaining about how much maaser you have to give because your income is so high.

While no one likes paying taxes, my life is infinitely better making more money and paying more taxes because I have more net income. Very Happy

There are lots of advantages to having a degree. In general the jobs one can get are more interesting and often there is flexibility as a good degree is not a narrow vocational certificate but can open the door to jobs that aren't directly linked to specific job training.

It is one of the disadvantages of the kind of degrees many frum people get in that they are just job training versus providing the kind of education that makes one adaptable. Lots of people have well paying jobs that aren't directly related to their Major or certificate.

In terms of a cost benefit analysis, obviously there are ways to get a good degree that make more economic sense. A very good education can be had at public colleges for example.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics