Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Can't get the sweat smell out of laundry.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 2:51 pm
I have a very active dh and kids. When I do the laundry I put in detergent along with Arm and Hammer scent pieces. Everyone's (2 teen boys and dh) clothing (active wear) comes out smelling clean except my teen dd. Hers still smells of sweat. IS there anything else I can do to get it smelling fresh. She bathes daily, uses deoderant. I don't think she smells on the day to day bases..

amother
Pansy

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 3:03 pm
Don't overstuff the load and add baking soda to each load. Works well for me..

gomom123!

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 3:16 pm
Use borax powder in each load

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 3:28 pm
Are there particular pieces that still smell like sweat, or everything?

Some materials just absorb sweat. As it builds up, you don't smell it, until one day even after the wash it's just gross.
You can get rid of it and keep it away.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....44549

oneofakind

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 3:38 pm
I soak those garments in detergent ( no water) and then rewash. I'd be careful with light colors because it could leave a stain.

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 4:36 pm
Make sure machine is working properly.

QUEENY

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 5:15 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Are there particular pieces that still smell like sweat, or everything?

Some materials just absorb sweat. As it builds up, you don't smell it, until one day even after the wash it's just gross.
You can get rid of it and keep it away.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....44549

All her exercise clothes, even if they are new..it's only her clothes in the same wash as everyone else.Lets say all the kids have the same shirt for the same amount of time..hers smells..everyone's else smell fresh.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 5:47 pm
quote wrote:
All her exercise clothes, even if they are new..it's only her clothes in the same wash as everyone else.Lets say all the kids have the same shirt for the same amount of time..hers smells..everyone's else smell fresh.

It's embedded in the fabrics. Unfortunately you'll have to separate her tops, and then further separate them into groups of similar fabric thickness/texture. Soak them for a day and then refresh and soak again, until you can't smell it. Only then, wash in the machine is small batches with like fabrics.

And once the smells are gone, keep on top of separating her items (before they smell), and then again separating by density (thick items together, light items together, or else the machine will work on the heavier items and the lighter items will be left dirty), and washing as directed. And full cycles, no quick washes.

It's hard!

One more tip. Investigate if she's constipated. The connection is unreal but a poster pointed it out to me and it was accurate. When constipated, the sweat smells even with antiperspirant and deodorant.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 7:30 pm
there are special sports washes if it is exercise clothes, might be a simple solution. also, hang dry exercise clothes (no clothes dryer) and make sure they get a little space to breathe while dirty instead of being shoved in a hamper or left in a gym bag until washing day

mushkamothers

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 7:32 pm
Add vinegar to each load
Not vinegar and baking soda together. One or the other

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sat, Aug 19 2023, 2:44 pm
Soak in vinegar
Also try to wash in warmer temperatures if possible. 100% cotton can and should be washed in 60 degrees C.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry