Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Mil sleeps in
  Previous  1  2  3  16  17  18

amother
PlumPink

Post Mon, Aug 21 2023, 6:01 pm
amother Bisque wrote:
If you cant imagine consider yourself lucky.

guilt trips, begging, etc etc

Don't make personal assumptions.

And no that is not forcing.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Aug 22 2023, 9:59 am
Now that several of our kids are parents and I'm a MIL, this thread fascinates me. I'm very grateful to be in this situation of a frum grandmother hosting our couples and a growing number of grandchildren.

My approach is that I'm loving and giving and super-enthusiastic about all our grandkids and each DIL and SIL. I only offer what works for me. You can come to me with a newborn, and I can watch that newborn from midnight till 3 am (weeknights) because that's when I can be awake. Don't expect me to do anything till at least mid-morning because that goes against my biology and yet I woke up at like 6 am for decades to get my own kids out to school.

You can use my credit card to order food delivered but don't expect me to cook full meals during the week. Now I do that for Shabbos.

You can have me top up your rav kav (transportation card) on my computer, or app you a taxi, at my cost. I need enough time to do it without pressure.

You don't have to bring a cake but I would like you to remember to clean the highchair tray and seat that your kid is using. I will give you a comfortable room. You will empty the garbage of diapers before you go home. You will clean up the toys - kind of cleaned up is also fine.

I will take the train to visit you and spend time with you and your kids. When it works for us all, and I'm not committing to a specific time interval.

I will go on an international vacation with you and help you with your kids. I get my own room and my own bathroom in the rental.

I can show up joyfully for you because I show up lovingly for me.

amother
Diamond

Post Tue, Aug 22 2023, 10:47 am
I haven't read past the first page but this has got to be one of the most selfish, self centered OPs I've ever read. I'm sorry, but I never write such strongly worded posts, but this was just wow.
OP, you view your mil as selfish. It's actually the other way around. I hope you can see that and you can work on looking inward rather than outward.
Eta. I too grew up with a mother like yours. She does everything an anything to help her kids. But I still would never expect it of my mil. I recognize that my mother is unique.. Rather than this being a failure on your mils part, your attitude is shockingly egocentric. The failing is in you.
I am even wondering if this is a joke.

amother
Tuberose

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 10:17 am
Isramom8 wrote:
Now that several of our kids are parents and I'm a MIL, this thread fascinates me. I'm very grateful to be in this situation of a frum grandmother hosting our couples and a growing number of grandchildren.

My approach is that I'm loving and giving and super-enthusiastic about all our grandkids and each DIL and SIL. I only offer what works for me. You can come to me with a newborn, and I can watch that newborn from midnight till 3 am (weeknights) because that's when I can be awake. Don't expect me to do anything till at least mid-morning because that goes against my biology and yet I woke up at like 6 am for decades to get my own kids out to school.

You can use my credit card to order food delivered but don't expect me to cook full meals during the week. Now I do that for Shabbos.

You can have me top up your rav kav (transportation card) on my computer, or app you a taxi, at my cost. I need enough time to do it without pressure.

You don't have to bring a cake but I would like you to remember to clean the highchair tray and seat that your kid is using. I will give you a comfortable room. You will empty the garbage of diapers before you go home. You will clean up the toys - kind of cleaned up is also fine.

I will take the train to visit you and spend time with you and your kids. When it works for us all, and I'm not committing to a specific time interval.

I will go on an international vacation with you and help you with your kids. I get my own room and my own bathroom in the rental.

Yes !! Exactly ! Well stated !

WhatFor

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 10:32 am
amother Tuberose wrote:
Yes !! Exactly ! Well stated !

This thread was dead for one happy week.

amother
Tuberose

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 10:36 am
WhatFor wrote:
This thread was dead for one happy week.

Please do what makes you happy. If it makes you happy to skip this thread please feel free to do so. 😃

smss

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 10:49 am
Isramom8 wrote:

I love this line.
Page 18 of 18   Previous  1  2  3  16  17  18 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette