Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Are you careful about recycling garbage?
Previous  1  2

Are you careful about recycling?
Yes and I own a house  
 33%  [ 62 ]
Yes and I rent  
 14%  [ 27 ]
No, and I own a house  
 27%  [ 52 ]
No and I rent  
 13%  [ 26 ]
Doesn't apply to me as much, live in a building  
 8%  [ 15 ]
I recycle everything PLUS food compose  
 2%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 186

amother
Catmint

Post Sat, Nov 18 2023, 11:14 pm
amother Purple wrote:
Why would owning or renting make a difference here?

Renters don't pay the sanitation tickets...

amother
Catmint

Post Sat, Nov 18 2023, 11:15 pm
It very much depends on where you live/ how strict the recycling laws are

Growing up we recycled as we'd get ticketed otherwise. Where I live now no one really cares so I do it only as convenient.

fleetwood

Post Sat, Nov 18 2023, 11:35 pm
tweety1 wrote:
They never ever did. Not on my old block not on my new one.

You got lucky. They do it all the time in New York...

GLUE

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 1:26 am
amother Jasmine wrote:
I recycled every single thing carefully for years until I read that NYC doesn't actually recycle our recycling garbage, now I don't care.

Years ago when I lived in Staten Island I looked into this, here's what it was under Bloomberg(no idea now)

the city got $$ for paper and cardboard
the city paid about $0.03 to get rid of glass
the city paid about $0.25 to get rid of garbage
I don't remember about recycled plastic

Under Bloomberg every year the city would find out witch 3 neighborhoods in each Boro had the worst recycle rates and have a ticket blitz in those neighborhoods.
I have no idea what they do now accept that the city does have a place were you can pick up free compost for your garden

I live in Lakewood now: I recycle the cardboard because it costs the town less if it's recycled and I feel that I can't complain about taxes if I don't do some very easy(for me)thing to help lower it.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 1:27 am
Where do you live. My family in Pittsburgh uses blue bags. I think recycling is optional there.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 3:21 am
I live in a building. I used to separate out cans and bottles and take it to the recycling place as we got money back for each one (ok, it wasn't "back". We have a state tax on every bottle and can we buy and get it back IF we take to a recycling place). Then they closed all the local places. So I eat the cost and toss. I am not spending more money to drive to a place to recycle than I am getting back. It used to be outside my local non kosher grocery store which was super convenient.
I do recycle boxes as we have a separate bin for those. If we all did it in the regular garbage it clogs up the chute and we have no space in the regular garbage.

nicole81

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 3:33 am
Compost. And yes I do it all. I grow vegetables so the compost is cheaper than plant food and more natural.

One of my homes is in a city where they charge $60 for a garbage can and give recycling cans for free. I fill up 2 garbage cans and 3 full 85 gallon recycling cans a week. I could fill more if my kids would be better at remembering. I heard the city just sends everything to the same dump but I'd rather not spend on a new garbage can when I can just "recycle" for free.

amother
Jasmine

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 5:04 am
GLUE wrote:
Years ago when I lived in Staten Island I looked into this, here's what it was under Bloomberg(no idea now)

the city got $$ for paper and cardboard
the city paid about $0.03 to get rid of glass
the city paid about $0.25 to get rid of garbage
I don't remember about recycled plastic

Under Bloomberg every year the city would find out witch 3 neighborhoods in each Boro had the worst recycle rates and have a ticket blitz in those neighborhoods.
I have no idea what they do now accept that the city does have a place were you can pick up free compost for your garden

I live in Lakewood now: I recycle the cardboard because it costs the town less if it's recycled and I feel that I can't complain about taxes if I don't do some very easy(for me)thing to help lower it.

Much ends up in landfills. So I am only careful to recycle what I know for a fact is an actual item that supposedly get recycled. Bottles and cans, much of the rest of plastic doesn't get recycled. Leaves in the fall. I do newspaper, magazines etc and boxes. I will not care about every little thing unless the city is doing what they make us think they do with the garbage. My neighborhood had that compost collection for a while and the garbage men complained that we shouldn't do it because it was extra work and the city was dumping it into regular trash anyway.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 5:23 am
amother Honeysuckle wrote:
Literally don't care about it at all. Sue me. It's a scam anyway.

How is recycling a scam? Is this the newest conspiracy theory?

Gerbera

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 9:55 am
We only get our garbage picked up once every two weeks so we have to separate our green bin stuff and recycling otherwise the garage will STINK especially in the summer. We are limited to the amount of garbage we can put out as well before we need to pay for the garbage by item. We usually put out 5 full recycling bins per week and we are not allowed to use blue bags here.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 11:41 am
rainbow dash wrote:
Here in Belgium, it's law. We have blue bags for plastic, white bags for regular garbage, and cartons go together. And yes we have to pay for the bags. If you don't the garbage men don't take it, they put a sticker on your bag and you have to take it home then get rid of it the next week. They are very strict here.
So how do people do it at work?

amother
Lightgreen

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 12:55 pm
I recycle when it’s convenient (pasta box, water bottle) but I don’t bother with things that will have to be washed out first

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 12:56 pm
fleetwood wrote:
Sanitation rips open bags to check. You'll get a ticket

This is all very location specific. There os no mandatory recycling whete Inlive. No fines, no one checks.

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 1:02 pm
No recycling. We officially have a blue covered bin (recycling) and a green covered bin (regular garbage) but it's one truck who does the pickup and they dump it all in the same truck. (Not the kind that has 2 receptacles. It's one large truck. The company doesn't divide it.) So we don't.

In most places it's a scam anyway. They charge you for regular and recycling pickup they pick it up separately and then eventually it ends up in the same landfill anyway.
Not everywhere. But most places.

esuss

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 1:18 pm
I recycle. The town gives separate cans for plastic/ glass and another for cardboard etc. only because it saves garbage bags that I have to pay for. 😀

amother
Yolk

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 2:18 pm
I used to be more careful, but not so much since viewing a video by Will Witt with PragerU that addresses it's unfortunately often not actually being recycled at all.

fleetwood

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 2:39 pm
amother Crimson wrote:
This is all very location specific. There os no mandatory recycling whete Inlive. No fines, no one checks.

Obviously

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 2:43 pm
fleetwood wrote:
Obviously
Not obviously. If no location is specified how is it obvious that you're talking about a certain location?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry