Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
How many applications do sems receive?
Previous  1  2  3

GLUE

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 7:04 am
amother Lightblue wrote:
I believe those big numbers. Also a lot of it is overlap, so it might be the same 3000 girls applying to Zimras and nishmas etc...
I think the amount of girls graduating in Lakewood between all the schools must be more than 1000. I wonder if someone can figure it out.

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....41594

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 7:51 am
I circled back with parents at BY and Bnos in Baltimore: Bais Yaakov has 119 graduates this year; Bnos has 31. = 150

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 9:13 am
amother OP wrote:
I circled back with parents at BY and Bnos in Baltimore: Bais Yaakov has 119 graduates this year; Bnos has 31. = 150

Fascinating, where is the conflicting information coming from?

amother
Outerspace

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 9:55 am
Think about how long seminary interviews are. I would estimate approximately 15 minutes. So if a menaheles is doing interviews from 9 in the morning until 9 at night - lets say she in interviewing for 9 hours a day (counting lunch break etc) If there are 4000 applicants that comes out to 36 girls a day. (9X60=540/15=36)
If this is true a principal would have to be interviewing for aprox 115 days straight not including shabbos and fridays are shorter...

Obviously not possible.

amother
Bluebell

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 10:43 am
amother OP wrote:

I have a 12th grader in BY and 119 is correct. Don't know the exact number for Bnos, but average grade size for the high school is 30-40, so that makes sense.

amother
Bluebell

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 10:45 am
amother Cerulean wrote:
Fascinating, where is the conflicting information coming from?

I think people are making assumptions based on the current grade size for preschool/elementary at BY, which is larger due to the growth in Baltimore over the past 10 years. You can't use the same calculations for the existing12th grade.

mha3484

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 10:53 am
amother Bluebell wrote:
I think people are making assumptions based on the current grade size for preschool/elementary at BY, which is larger due to the growth in Baltimore over the past 10 years. You can't use the same calculations for the existing12th grade.

This is the same in Chicago. Last year there were 60 girls in 12th grade of BYHS but the elementary school averages 100 girls a grade. The community really started growing when those girls were in mid elementary.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 12:28 pm
amother Outerspace wrote:
Think about how long seminary interviews are. I would estimate approximately 15 minutes. So if a menaheles is doing interviews from 9 in the morning until 9 at night - lets say she in interviewing for 9 hours a day (counting lunch break etc) If there are 4000 applicants that comes out to 36 girls a day. (9X60=540/15=36)
If this is true a principal would have to be interviewing for aprox 115 days straight not including shabbos and fridays are shorter...

Obviously not possible.

Does evedy girl who applies get an interview? Or only those who make the shortlist?

amother
Outerspace

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 12:43 pm
amother Coffee wrote:
Does evedy girl who applies get an interview? Or only those who make the shortlist?

In all the mainstream yeshivish seminaries that I am familiar with, all the applicants get an interview.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 12:48 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
The nishmas you’re referring to is a yeshivish seminary or a modern orthodox one where they make yoetzet?

There is a fairly new seminary called Nishmas, which is one of the virtually indistinguishable seminaries ending in 'as'.

There is also a very well established Israeli dati leumi midrasha called נשמת. They have a number of programmes, one of which is a one year American seminary programme, called שנה בארץ. There are a few different Israeli programmes, including a very high level one, training women to function as Yoetzot Halacha. Seminary girls are not 'made into' yoetzot.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info