Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Wits End

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 3:44 am
My husbands boss didn’t pay him in two months!! I’m at my wits end and have no one to discuss it with because I don’t want to put any more pressure on my husband. He’s looking for a new job but it’s really really tough.
We have no money for basics basics and don’t officially qualify for any programs even though we didn’t have a penny coming in for the past eight weeks.
My sons pants just tore so he’s wearing a size smaller and it makes me cry.
I grew up with a credit card in my pocket, nothing lacking, and no clue what struggling meant.
This is so hard. Trying to decide between butter and mayo because we can’t afford both

How are people doing this? Crying as Im typing.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 3:55 am
Hugs! Can you get food from tomchei shabbos for meanwhile

teachkids

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 3:55 am
What does that mean the boss didn't pay? If he's not Jewish there are government offices to report to. If he is Jewish it's against halcha and needs to be brought up with a rav.

Success10

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 3:57 am
teachkids wrote:
What does that mean the boss didn't pay? If he's not Jewish there are government offices to report to. If he is Jewish it's against halcha and needs to be brought up with a rav.

It sounds like they would pay if they could, and reporting would not change anything.

amother
Sand

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 5:58 am
amother OP wrote:
My husbands boss didn’t pay him in two months!! I’m at my wits end and have no one to discuss it with because I don’t want to put any more pressure on my husband. He’s looking for a new job but it’s really really tough.
We have no money for basics basics and don’t officially qualify for any programs even though we didn’t have a penny coming in for the past eight weeks.
My sons pants just tore so he’s wearing a size smaller and it makes me cry.
I grew up with a credit card in my pocket, nothing lacking, and no clue what struggling meant.
This is so hard. Trying to decide between butter and mayo because we can’t afford both

How are people doing this? Crying as Im typing.

Do you work at all? If so and your salary is low enough you can probably get onto programs at least temporarily, because they go off of the last month. Then you can report the increase when he gets paid again. At least maybe it can tide you over for food for a bit.

amother
Sand

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 6:01 am
Also, can he qualify for unemployment? I don't know the ins and outs, just wondering

meyerlemon44

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 6:03 am
What size pants does your son need?
If I don’t have I might be able to send some $ for you to buy new.

care4u

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 8:07 am
I can order your son pants if you'd like.

You can dm me.

Biggest hugs.

What kind of job is he looking for & in what area?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 8:28 am
His boss doesn’t have the money but he’s a frum Jew and it is against Halacha. My husband doesn’t want to go to a rav until he finds something else.
He does Amazon account management, everything from listings to ppc to inventory.
We are in Monsey.

Thanks all for just being here. Knowing there’s someone at the other side listening is comforting.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 8:29 am
amother Sand wrote:
Do you work at all? If so and your salary is low enough you can probably get onto programs at least temporarily, because they go off of the last month. Then you can report the increase when he gets paid again. At least maybe it can tide you over for food for a bit.

No. I just had a baby and gave up my job because we were finally living comfortably when he stopped paying cold turkey.

Israeli

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 8:31 am
If you post an Amazon registry with some items you need I am happy to send you and you can remain anonymous. Or you can pm me and I will take care of it

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 8:37 am
OP, I'm in a similar position. I've been writing for many years for one of the big Jewish publications. They are amazing to work for but in the last few months they stopped paying their writers due to hard times. At this point, they owe me thousands of dollars that I desperately need - I'm the breadwinner in the family. They keep apologizing but there's no timeline for payment. I keep telling myself that Hashem knows but the stress of not being able to afford life while being owed so much money is not easy. Hashem should send you everything you need quickly!!!

amother
Rainbow

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 8:47 am
amother OP wrote:
His boss doesn’t have the money but he’s a frum Jew and it is against Halacha. My husband doesn’t want to go to a rav until he finds something else.
He does Amazon account management, everything from listings to ppc to inventory.
We are in Monsey.

Thanks all for just being here. Knowing there’s someone at the other side listening is comforting.

My father went through this a few years ago. He had been working for the same company for over 30 years, and his elderly, non-religious boss had given up on following up with the clients that owed the company tens of thousands of dollars but "couldn't pay"... Every week the boss promised my father (and the other employees) that next week they will get a paycheck, but the next week came and went with no paycheck in sight... The final straw was when I got a bill for a doctor's appointment which I would never have scheduled if I had known that our medical insurance had been cut off (I was still covered by his plan) - and my father had never been notified! After a few months of working for free, my father (who is not young himself) picked up and quit! What happened next, was that he found a new job in a different city, and my parents packed up and sold their house, and moved to a city that none of us had ever imagined they would even consider living in... and guess what: they are thriving there, much more than they ever had in the city I grew up in! Not only that but shortly after they moved into their new house, they discovered a long-lost relative living on that block!

OP, I give you a bracha that your situation should be the catalyst to much bigger and better than you could have ever imagined! Hashem has a plan...

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 9:10 am
Your husband should stop working and work full time at finding a job

meyerlemon44

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 9:13 am
I think the boss will keep working his employees for free until something changes.
An Amazon wishlist is a great idea.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 9:14 am
meyerlemon44 wrote:
I think the boss will keep working his employees for free until something changes.
An Amazon wishlist is a great idea.

Unfortunately that's what I've seen. It takes a long time to admit defeat and by then the people who are owed money are in deep trouble.

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 9:22 am
Call Monsey Tomchei Shabbos. Besides for helping with food items, they also help with finding employment.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics