Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Does your cleaning lady use a mop?
Previous  1  2  3

Does your cleaning lady use a mop for floors?
Yes  
 88%  [ 207 ]
No  
 7%  [ 18 ]
Other  
 3%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 234

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 2:22 pm
Highstrung wrote:
Years ago I had a Polish cleaning woman who chose to wash with a shmatta even though I had a mop. She was very old and it hurt my knees just seeing her in that position. But she insisted that was the best way to clean a floor .
I’ve never had a cleaning woman since who would wash without a mop.
I personally wash my floors every so often on my knees . I don’t find it demeaning . It just hurts my knees , so I would never ask another person to do it that way
It's not demeaning to choose to do it for yourself; it's demeaning to be told to do it for someone else. It's a power trip for the one giving the orders.

amother
Rainbow

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 2:42 pm
amother DarkYellow wrote:
iRobot Braava Jet m6 (6012) Ultimate Robot Mop- Wi-Fi Connected, Precision Jet Spray, Smart Mapping, Works with Alexa, Ideal for Multiple Rooms, Recharges and Resumes, Black https://a.co/d/6lsoYlN

Pretty sure I got it on sale… awhile back.. very happy with it!

Thank you!

amother
Offwhite

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 2:47 pm
Eselle13 wrote:
Mine actually doesn't like to use my mop. She likes to wrap a shmatte over a broom

Yes, exactly! I give her an old broom for that use and do not let her use my regular broom, as the shmatta on the broom ruins the bristles on the broom and scratches my wood floors.

Cheiny

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 3:00 pm
BatZion wrote:

What some people consider demeaning might not be so for someone else. Couldn’t you also say that asking someone to scrub your toilets is demeaning as well? Or touching your dirty laundry when throwing it into the washing machine? Cleaning is cleaning.

Cheiny

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 3:01 pm
amother DarkViolet wrote:
me too, best investment, saved money on cleaning help.

I’m thinking about getting one. But I can’t imagine they can get into corners and clean as well, can they?

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 3:02 pm
I switched from the robo mop to an electric mop because of the corner issue. I liked the robo a lot in theory but found that it was getting annoying that I still had to get the mop out for the corners of the room.

Cheiny

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 3:05 pm
zaq wrote:
It's not demeaning to choose to do it for yourself; it's demeaning to be told to do it for someone else. It's a power trip for the one giving the orders.

I don’t believe for a minute that anyone asking their cleaning lady to clean a certain way is doing so for a power trip; whether it’s appropriate or not is another issue… but a power trip? Quite unlikely.

amother
Opal

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 3:49 pm
My mother's cleaning ladies washed and dried all floors on all 4s.... years ago it was a no brainer.

My cleaning lady uses a mop except for the bathroom and the kitchen / cabinet area. Not dining area. The previous owners put in white textured tile it never looks/is perfectly clean unless its scrubbed.
I make sure I'm "busy" somewhere else then shes at it. I feel sorry for her but she doesn't seem to mind. She actually brought knee pads when she first came. It seems like she was expecting it.
I pay her the going wage. I round up the total and I don't take off if she arrives late randomly. (Rarely happens) I prepare her a lunch fit for a queen and offer her coffee and snack. I also gift her every year and give her a bonus before pesach as a thank you....
She's been with me for quiet a few years. Seems like we're good.

Personally the fact that she cleans the toilet where my family does their dirty buisness seems a lot more degrading than washing the floors with a shmatta.

When I lived in an apt with a master bathroom I used to clean the bathroom myself. It felt too awful making another human clean it. She'd clean the vanity not the toilet/shower.

yachnabobba

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 4:08 pm
[quote="BatZion"][/quote
I actually think I was hilarious.
My house is clean bh and I certainly don’t ask anyone to wash the floor on his or her hands and needs. I treat my household help with respect and dignity. I think that the whole thread is inane. My very obvious and rather hilarious sarcasm makes this very clear. Please put a missing poster on the nearest tree to try and locate your sense of humor

DrMom

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 3:50 am
amother Snow wrote:
This one
O-Cedar Easywring Microfiber Spin Mop & Bucket Floor Cleaning System with 1 Extra Refill,Red / Gray https://a.co/d/4z1EsQ3

I love how an over-engineered mop and bucket is now called a "floor cleaning system." LOL

BatZion

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 4:33 am
[quote="yachnabobba"]
BatZion wrote:
[/quote
I actually think I was hilarious.
My house is clean bh and I certainly don’t ask anyone to wash the floor on his or her hands and needs. I treat my household help with respect and dignity. I think that the whole thread is inane. My very obvious and rather hilarious sarcasm makes this very clear. Please put a missing poster on the nearest tree to try and locate your sense of humor

I have a very healthy sense of humor, as it happens.
I understood that you were *trying* to be funny.
Try harder.

BatZion

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 4:37 am
Cheiny wrote:
What some people consider demeaning might not be so for someone else. Couldn’t you also say that asking someone to scrub your toilets is demeaning as well? Or touching your dirty laundry when throwing it into the washing machine? Cleaning is cleaning.

You're right. Maybe it's personal/cultural.
I wouldn't get down on my hands and knees. Why would I ask another woman to do so.
And yes, I also find it hard to imagine asking someone to clean my toilets, too.
Maybe I'd understand if I had cleaning help, but at this point, I could not imagine ever asking anyone to clean on her hands and knees or clean our toilets...
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry