Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Is this normal behavior?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 6:42 pm
My four year old will yell. Yell loudly when he’s frustrated or angry or any kind of negative emotion really. He yells really loudly. I’ve told him multiple times, I can’t help you when you yell like this. Use your voice and I’ll help you.
Sometimes it works. Sometimes he’ll say what he wants and then go back to yelling.
I have sensory processing disorder and loud noises really get me flustered.

A. Is this normal behavior
B. What can I do not to get myself overwhelmed by the noise?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Light1234

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 8:02 pm
I'm not an expert but my gut tells me that a starting point might be, how long has it been going on for?

About how to help yourself cope, is there another adult in the house who can take over when this happens, and you go take a few minutes to yourself?

amother
DarkGreen

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 8:13 pm
Yes it's normal for a four year old. I sympathize though.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 8:14 pm
Yes, this is normal. Not for all kids, but several of mine have done this.

I'm going to duck before the tomatoes start flying, but...I have earplugs. A whole bag of them. I use them as necessary. They're not the kind that completely block out sound, but they dull it considerably.

I also say things like "I'm happy to listen to you when you are ready to ask me calmly." Or "I'm going into my room now because that noise hurts my ears. I'll come out in a little bit after the noise stops." (You know your kid, this is obviously only if you can trust them out there without close supervision for a minute. I even leave my door open, but it still sends a message.) And then ignore until they ask nicely. Get busy with something else, use the earplugs to keep your own sanity, and pretend that they're not making any noise.

It's a hard phase, and it won't end in a day, but I find that this ends it relatively quickly.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 9:56 pm
Thanks so much for the responses!

It’s been going on for a few weeks and I do tell him, I can listen to you when you talk calmly or the yelling hurts my ears so I can help you when you calm down.

When my husband is home he takes over but that happens after dinner so it’s usually four hours I’m home alone with him.

I find that when I eat well I don’t get overwhelmed as easily. Don’t know the connection.

But thanks all for your responses. As long as I know it’s just a passing phase I can deal Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers