Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Can a woman be a shochet?

synthy

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 10:02 pm
I've been wondering about this for a while, not because I'd ever want to shecht or even watch a chicken being slaughtered. I asked dh and he said according to the gemara a woman can shecht, but he doesn't know if it's discussed elsewhere. So I'm curious, does anyone know if a woman can actually be a shochet?

synthy

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:13 am
Bumpinging this up for the people who actually sleep at night Smile

HarrietW

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:16 am
Women probably can be a shochet, they excluded women from this based on serarah but honestly it seems like a stretch to me

synthy

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:17 am
HarrietW wrote:
Women probably can be a shochet, they excluded women from this based on serarah but honestly it seems like a stretch to me
What does this mean, can you explain?

GLUE

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:31 am
Someone told me years ago that in Italy women would shect their own chicken.

I never tried to see if that was true or not.

HarrietW

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:32 am
I think the original example of serarah is the person who checks the scales to make sure they are kosher. It is not allowed for converts to have such a job, and it is a machlokes if women may have such a job. We pasken that she isn’t allowed to. Reb Moshe Feinstein said that a woman may not be a mashgiach based on this rule, but he paskened leniently for almanos, because today it works through an agency and it’s a machlokes.

It does NOT mean any random spiritual/leadership position. Throughout our history plenty of converts we’re big leaders

Edited to add- I checked this up a very long time ago, could be I don’t remember exactly. If you really need this information please verify irl.

synthy

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:36 am
HarrietW wrote:
I think the original example of serarah is the person who checks the scales to make sure they are kosher. It is not allowed for converts to have such a job, and it is a machlokes if women may have such a job. We pasken that she isn’t allowed to. Reb Moshe Feinstein said that a woman may not be a mashgiach based on this rule, but he paskened leniently for almanos, because today it works through an agency and it’s a machlokes.

It does NOT mean any random spiritual/leadership position. Throughout our history plenty of converts we’re big leaders

Edited to add- I checked this up a very long time ago, could be I don’t remember exactly. If you really need this information please verify irl.
Oh, I get it. I remember reading that it's controversial if a convert can be a a rav btw.

I totally don't need this info irl, I was just curious and started researching.

synthy

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:37 am
I decided to google this question even tho I don't like googling halacha, and now this thread is the 5th result🤦‍♀️

HarrietW

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:39 am
synthy wrote:
Oh, I get it. I remember reading that it's controversial if a convert can be a a rav btw.

I totally don't need this info irl, I was just curious and started researching.

Shmaya and Avtalyon were geirim. Please excuse my spelling

HarrietW

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:41 am
See the link- many converts were great leaders.
https://www.chabad.org/library.....w.htm

synthy

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:43 am
HarrietW wrote:
See the link- many converts were great leaders.
https://www.chabad.org/library.....w.htm
I believe the issue is if they are the official rav of a kehilla, I.e. mara deasra. But again not everyone holds that it's an issue.

self-actualization

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:54 am
I also heard that it Italy women were shochets and mohels. Like in the 1500s or so.

leaf

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 12:00 pm
שולחן ערוך יורה דעה סימן א סעיף א

הכל שוחטים לכתחילה, אפילו נשים.

הגה: יש אומרים שאין להניח נשים לשחוט, שכבר נהגו שלא לשחוט, וכן המנהג שאין הנשים שוחטות (ב"י בשם האגור).

DrMom

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 12:05 pm
I cannot imagine why a woman couldn't be a shochet.

shanie5

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 12:36 pm
The term is Shochetes. I asked this of someone once, and was told that yes, a woman can shecht. But I was not given a source for it.

GLUE

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 12:49 pm
leaf wrote:

הגה: יש אומרים שאין להניח נשים לשחוט, שכבר נהגו שלא לשחוט, וכן המנהג שאין הנשים שוחטות (ב"י בשם האגור).

Can you translate into English?

leaf

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 11:17 am
leaf wrote:

Translation:
Shulchan Aruch: Everyone can slaughter optimally, even women.
Rema: there are those that say not to let women slaughter, since they customarily do not slaughter, and the custom is that women don't slaughter.

I believe the shach disagrees with the rema as to whether women customarily didnt slaughter
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions