Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How old was your DD when you pierced her ears?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 5:01 pm
DD1 at about 7 months if I remember correctly and DD2 at about 5 months.

gumdrop

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 5:03 pm
The earliest I did it was 5 days old lekovod Yom Tov.

The latest I ever did was 5 wks.

They get over the pain so quickly and look gorgeous so why wait.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 5:05 pm
amother wrote:
DD1 at about 7 months if I remember correctly and DD2 at about 5 months.

This was me. Just wanted to add that I feel like it would have been way easier to hold them down and not such a fight if they were younger.

smile2me

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 5:07 pm
With my first I did it at a week, it was great she cried for a micro sec. with my next one I did it at 4 months also was quick, but was much easier when she was smaller she didnt move as much. The younger the better and it looks so cute. Both didnt touch their earing since they are so used to it. DD2 is 19 months still on the same pair

yentadevosha

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 5:12 pm
dd1-5 weeks old
dd2-same
dd3-2 weeks
dd4-10 days

Lakewood

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 5:14 pm
10 years old. When she was ready and asking for it.

Mommy F.

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 6:17 pm
2 1/2 yrs old

gp2.0

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 6:27 pm
DD will get them (if she wants) when she's old enough to ask for them and mature enough to understand what she's asking for.

peasachmom

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 6:44 pm
Hidden: 

DD will get them (if she wants) when she's old enough to ask for them and mature enough to understand what she's asking for.

thats what I said but dh wouldn't hear of it. dd got her ears done at 2 weeks old. had a guy come to the house he was gr8 but dh held her. if dh wanted earings then he would have to hold a crying baby, not me It wasnt me

peasachmom

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 6:47 pm
ps anyone whos does it on ababy bcause"it doesn't hurt on a baby " doesn't know what they are talking baout. I had mine done at 10 and it did not hurt except for a tiny pinch taht was over in a min

amother

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 6:52 pm
My daughters wanted them, and I had them wait until shortly before their bat mitzvah. I too had mine pierced before becoming a bat mitzvah.

yihyetov

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 7:45 pm
six months. couldnt be happier that I did it.

Mommeeeeeeee!

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 7:56 pm
Having seen an older child get one ear pierced and then get hysterical and refuse to let them do the second, I wanted to get it done as early as possible. When they are tiny, a) they don't move as much, b) they don't understand that the other one is also happening so you don't have to worry about the above scenario, plus c) they will not touch or pull them AND d) you are the one in charge of taking care of the new earrings so you know they are getting turned/antibiotic ointment applied (or whatever instructions you are given) properly every day so they don't close up, get infected, or have the skin adhere to the earring. If boys can get a bris at 8 days I guess a newborn girl is not too young to get her ears pierced. That way everyone knows she's a girl! I wanted to do it at 3 weeks but didn't get around to it until around 6 weeks. Dd pretty much thought they were a part of her body when she was smaller and never tried to touch them - it never even occurred to her that they were removable until she was big enough to know not to do it.

YALT

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 7:57 pm
We did DD's ears at 11 months. The original plan was at 1 yr since DH was a bit nervous. My sister pierces ears and we happened to be at her house then for her daughter to cut my daughter's hair. So we figured let's just do everything at once.
Apparently, it's quite common that those who have their ears pierced before 6 months are more likely to have them unequal. When the ears are so tiny it's hard to get the exact same spot on both ears.

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 8:00 pm
7 months

rochellee

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 8:30 pm
4 months. it made such a difference to her face

amother

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 8:36 pm
Dd#1 at 5 days
Dd#2 topped you all off - 3 days!! I do ear piercing, so I did it the day after I came home from the hospital.
To make some of your points clear, first the point is not that they don't feel anything, they do! But babies won't cry by a tiny pinch cause by the time they feel it, its over and by then they forgot about it already. They cry only when they feel pain, and once its over, there's no pain! Where as an older girl remembers it, feels it afterward, cause they know about it, and like others have said, sometimes they don't want to do the second. As for waiting till they ask for it? For what? Every (everyone that I know) woman has earrings, so chances are your dds not gonna be upset that you pierced her ears!!
And btw, you don't need to do anything after a piercing! Only if you think it might be getting infected do you put ointment WITHOUT TAKING THE EARRING OUT!

MommyZ

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 8:42 pm
34 months

Mommeeeeeeee!

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 8:54 pm
And btw, you don't need to do anything after a piercing! Only if you think it might be getting infected do you put ointment WITHOUT TAKING THE EARRING OUT![/quote]

Really? I have always heard that, at the minimum, you need to turn them once a day, I was told to do it twice a day and apply ointment without removing them, and to make sure they are never removed for the first 6 weeks. Supposedly if you don't rotate them the skin can grow over the earring or something and the ointment is to prevent a painful infection from forming in the first place.

Also, re: waiting until your dd is old enough to ask for them - why? If she doesn't want to have earrings later on she doesn't have to wear any - the piercing doesn't hurt and isn't visible in most cases, so why shouldn't it be there if she should want it, when she can just as easily ignore it if she doesn't? No one is forcing her to wear the earrings once she's old enough to have an opinion - why would she mind if the hole happens to be there, even if your particular kid does turn out to be the one in a million who doesn't thank you for sparing her from having to have it done later?

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 10:00 pm
I was 9 when I got my first holes, and 15 when I got my second and third on one side.

DD was 6 when she got hers done. She begged me for it and the next day she shattered her right tibia. When they wanted to take her earrings out to set her leg in the operating room she cried harder than any time in the whole broken leg ordeal. Thank god they let her keep them!

Also thankfully, she is now 11 and fully recovered and swimming on a swim team- practice 3 X a week!
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics