Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Is yoga a halachic shaila?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 8:27 pm
I have heard that yoga is great exercise, and I'm thinking of joining a class. However, I recall once hearing it is problematic because it is based in avoda zarah. Does anyone know anything about this?

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 8:41 pm
amother wrote:
I have heard that yoga is great exercise, and I'm thinking of joining a class. However, I recall once hearing it is problematic because it is based in avoda zarah. Does anyone know anything about this?

afaik, yoga is more about improving oneself than worshiping anything/anyone. there's really no worship involved. there may be some things said in class that make you feel uncomfortable, but you should get used to hearing things like "find your inner space" and stuff like that. yoga will make you more aware of your body movements, and yes, it's great exercise.

it's funny, I heard the same rumor when I was a teen. I did yoga for a while with a frum instructor who had asked shailas (of a rav I'm familiar with) who said that you can do yoga on shabbos if it's for meditation only, but not for exercise. I think the rumor was born from some of the positions that are similar to bowing. but you're not bowing to anyone when you're in those positions.

you can ask a shaila, but unless the rav has done extensive research and is familiar with the physical aspects of yoga, I don't see how he can answer this. if you want to pm me, I can get you in touch with a frum yoga instructor who can answer your specific questions.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 9:04 pm
I was involved in asking a shayla as to whether or not a frum publication I am involved in could accept an ad for yoga instructions (by a frum instructor). Our posek referred us to another local Rav (well known) who he said is expert in these issues. That Rav told us it was assur and that we could not accept the ad.

sequoia

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 9:05 pm
All the yoga instructors I ever had were Lubavitch.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 9:16 pm
I remember reading up on this a while ago. From what I recall, it depends on the kind of yoga. For those familiar with yoga, there are many different kinds of practice. Some are problematic while others are not. If I were you, I would find a class that interests you, and then present your rav with the details.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 9:38 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I was involved in asking a shayla as to whether or not a frum publication I am involved in could accept an ad for yoga instructions (by a frum instructor). Our posek referred us to another local Rav (well known) who he said is expert in these issues. That Rav told us it was assur and that we could not accept the ad.

could you go into more detail about what the rav said? when I was a teen, I was told that yoga was ok if it was only the movement without the religious philosophy. it's unsure whether yoga originated in buddhism or predated it, afaik. also, there are differing opinions as to whether buddhism is actual avoda zara.

ElTam

Post Wed, Oct 30 2013, 12:53 am
AYLOR. I asked and was told as long as it's not in a place with statues of idols (which some yoga places do have), it is fine. Other people have clearly been told differently.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 30 2013, 1:15 am
I live in La. the most frum people here take yoga classes. It is done in a frum environment.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 30 2013, 3:51 am
it's obviously a michlokes on how exactly it's used for avoda zara but it's clear that they use it to worship their g-ds.
the difference in the rabbi's are, if u have no intention to worship anyone by doing it then go ahead. others say that the source is bad, so don't do it.
I used to do yoga a lot before I got married but my husband doesn't want me to do it now so I moved on to pilates!

sequoia

Post Wed, Oct 30 2013, 11:24 am
There are even yoga teacher training courses specifically for shabbos-observant women.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Oct 30 2013, 11:53 am
amother wrote:
it's obviously a michlokes on how exactly it's used for avoda zara but it's clear that they use it to worship their g-ds.
the difference in the rabbi's are, if u have no intention to worship anyone by doing it then go ahead. others say that the source is bad, so don't do it.
I used to do yoga a lot before I got married but my husband doesn't want me to do it now so I moved on to pilates!

how is it used to worship their gods? please explain.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Oct 30 2013, 12:57 pm
I was told only the high level, philosophy one

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Oct 30 2013, 7:37 pm
amother wrote:
I have heard that yoga is great exercise, and I'm thinking of joining a class.

I don't agree. You can do pilates or body sculpting or many other fine exercises.

amother wrote:
I recall once hearing it is problematic because it is based in avoda zarah. Does anyone know anything about this?

You need to find a rov who really understands the inyonim. It's not easy.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Oct 30 2013, 7:40 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
amother wrote:
I have heard that yoga is great exercise, and I'm thinking of joining a class.

I don't agree. You can do pilates or body sculpting or many other fine exercises.

cm, you don't agree that it's great exercise? have you tried it and failed? just curious. people generally know about pilates and body sculpting, but yoga is definitely a good form of exercise.

yiddishekup

Post Wed, Oct 30 2013, 7:59 pm
sequoia wrote:
All the yoga instructors I ever had were Lubavitch.

This doesn't determine the halachik factor. All the Applied Kinesiologists I know are frum Williamsburg quacks.

miami85

Post Wed, Oct 30 2013, 8:05 pm
When this question came up when we were supposed to have yoga instead of gym in high school we were told it wasn't a problem. I don't remember all the details as it was over 10 years ago but I remember my teacher referred to the set of moves known as "sun salutation" as "mode ani" instead.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Oct 30 2013, 8:08 pm
miami85 wrote:
When this question came up when we were supposed to have yoga instead of gym in high school we were told it wasn't a problem. I don't remember all the details as it was over 10 years ago but I remember my teacher referred to the set of moves known as "sun salutation" as "mode ani" instead.

Ugh. Really? Why couldn't she just call them "morning stretches" or something?

saw50st8

Post Wed, Oct 30 2013, 8:38 pm
my kids do yoga at their yeshiva

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Oct 30 2013, 9:15 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
cm, you don't agree that it's great exercise?

It doesn't burn fat. What's so great about it? Every exercise includes stretch but this one is all stretch.

mummiedearest wrote:
have you tried it and failed? just curious.

Failed? How? Like falling over? I can do that without trying, but that's not why I don't think yoga isn't good exercise.

mummiedearest wrote:
people generally know about pilates and body sculpting, but yoga is definitely a good form of exercise.

As I said before, it doesn't burn fat. It doesn't elevate the heart. It depends on which kind of yoga, really. And I don't think Bikram, the hot yoga, is healthy. Also, yoga doesn't increase muscle mass. You need weights for that.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Oct 30 2013, 9:26 pm
There's a lot of misinformation right there. Yoga classes often incorporate moves that definitely qualify as a cardiovascular workout. Lots and lots of calories can be burned. Muscle mass can be built using nothing but the body's own weight. External weights are easy to use too, but not necessary in the least.

I personally lost weight, built muscle mass and got my body into incredible shape with yoga. I'm a huge fan.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise