Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving to St. Paul

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 11:49 am
I'm moving to St. Paul next week, B'EH. Any ImaMothers there?

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 4:49 pm
I live in Minneapolis. I'm assuming you're Chabad if you're moving to St. Paul. I have a neighbor who sends her kids to the Lubavitch Cheder preschool. The community seems really small and insular, but it's not such a big deal to cross the river.

What info are you looking for?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 5:11 pm
No. I'm not Chabad. We are moving to St. Paul and not Minneapolis because Minneapolis would be too far from DH's work. We are moving there for his job.

I guess I kind of have all the really necessary info, I am just nervous because I don't really know a lot of people there, and it's very different from where I am from. The only thing I haven't found out is I was wondering if there is a place I could get alle/mealmart/Solomon's/satmar meat etc in St. Paul or if I need to drive to St. Louis Park? Or if there is a place that would deliver to St. Paul?

Also, I don't have school-age children. What would be a good way to meet other women with very young children in the area?

TIA!

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 5:23 pm
I lived in S. Paul for a year and the area is very nice and the people are very friendly. However, it was over 20 years ago so things might have changed.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 6:45 pm
I live in Minneapolis and dont know too much about st Paul. What city is your dh working in? There is a store called coopers there and I think it carries everything you mentioned. I know people from st Paul come here and buy meat/cheese at Costco. It's not that far so you can probably just stalk up and come 1 or 2 times a month. Otherwise I'm sure you can find enough people coming here.

The people I've met are nice, but I don't know anyone who isn't chabad. Do you have kids? Will they go to school at the cheder? There is a teacher from st Paul who teaches here at Torah academy, so it may be possible you could send your kids with her if you are interested.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 6:50 pm
I have a baby, so school isn't an issue yet. I didn't know that Costco sells kosher meat, that is very good to know.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 7:29 pm
I think Cooper's only has Lubavitch meat, so if you specifically don't want that you'd have to come in to SLP for your meat. It's not that far. Maybe 20-25 minutes if you do it at the right time of day. Kosher Spot is actually cheaper for meat, but Costco is definitely cheaper for cheese if you're CY.

There are a few other grocery stores that stock Kosher products too, and a dairy restaurant and a meat one coming soon, all in or around SLP.

I know quite a few young mom's in St. Paul who are very sweet. Even if you're not Chabad, get in touch with the Chabad House and maybe go for a Shabbos. That's the best way to meet the community of you don't have kids in school.

There are a few people who go back and forth for school, so you shouldn't have a problem with carpools once your baby is ready to start, but just FTR, the Cheder has a wonderful preschool program, and even if you plan on sending to Torah Academy eventually it's worth looking into their early childhood program. (I think I might be the neighbor mentioned by a previous amother Smile )

Welcome to the Twin Cities!

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 7:48 pm
I guess we are all neighbors!

Costco and kosher spot have Solomon's meat for sure. I Do not know about the other brands you listed. There are definitely pro l let who go back and forth between the city's and I'm sure they would pick things up for you.

Hatzlacha on the move and if you ever cross the river for shabbos Let us "amother neighbors" know!

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 7:50 pm
That should say" there are definitely people who go back and forth."

amother

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 9:48 am
Thank you!! I feel much better about going after this thread! And I got a lot of useful information. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating