Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Stop the calendar!
1  2  3  Next

Eemaof3

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 11:46 am
Shabbat -- Yom Tov -- Shabbat -- Yom Tov -- Shabbat -- Yom Tov -- Shabbat -- Yom Tov

STOP THE CALENDAR -- I WANT TO GET OFF!!!

yo'ma

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 2:31 pm
Just relax!! Almost over and then you'll get to breathe. What gets me through is thinking of what each day represents and what it's all about. Oh, and I take one day at a time Wink .

Debbig

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 4:41 pm
That's exactly what I was thinking.
On top of all that I have a newborn. I was in the hospital with her RH. And had another medical scare on Thursday. I feel like I'm on a never ending roller coaster!!

Last edited by Debbig on Sun, Sep 20 2015, 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

L K

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 5:27 pm
Joining in

fluffernutter

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 5:49 pm
I heard quoted from a Rebbitzen a different year that was like this - "Ratza HKB"H Lezakos Es Neshie Yisroel Lifichach, Hirba Lahem Erev Shabbos V'Erev Yom Tov" - Hashem wanted to give us women zechusim, so He gave us a lot of Erev Shabbos and Y'T.

I heard this and it totally changed my outlook on a year like this. Its a zechus - lets try to be positive about it! Smile Its not easy! Its really hard but keeping this in mind has helped.

out-of-towner

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 6:39 pm
fluffernutter wrote:
I heard quoted from a Rebbitzen a different year that was like this - "Ratza HKB"H Lezakos Es Neshie Yisroel Lifichach, Hirba Lahem Erev Shabbos V'Erev Yom Tov" - Hashem wanted to give us women zechusim, so He gave us a lot of Erev Shabbos and Y'T.

I heard this and it totally changed my outlook on a year like this. Its a zechus - lets try to be positive about it! Smile Its not easy! Its really hard but keeping this in mind has helped.

Thanks! I needed this Chizzuk!

zaq

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 7:13 pm
Hey, be glad we have no three-day yomtovim this go-round. And realize that this is Golus, baby, and this is not the way things are supposed to be. Were we in EY we'd have almost half the number of YomTovim. Well, that's what we get for staying in Golus when we could, if we really, really wanted to, be in Eretz Hakodesh.

animeme

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 7:25 pm
zaq wrote:
Hey, be glad we have no three-day yomtovim this go-round. And realize that this is Golus, baby, and this is not the way things are supposed to be. Were we in EY we'd have almost half the number of YomTovim. Well, that's what we get for staying in Golus when we could, if we really, really wanted to, be in Eretz Hakodesh.

Some of us would actually prefer 3 day yom tovim to this constant switching. It's a personality thing. Even in Eretz Yisrael, it's still erev Shabbos, Shabbos, erev Yom Tov, Yom Tov, which is hard for the same reason, though less food and a bit more buffer on the other end.

I wish I had more simcha Yom tov. I enjoy cooking so much when I don't have to do it but want to. But the constant obligation is so hard sometimes. Gadol metzuveh v'oseh, right?

pesek zman

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 7:30 pm
zaq wrote:
Hey, be glad we have no three-day yomtovim this go-round. And realize that this is Golus, baby, and this is not the way things are supposed to be. Were we in EY we'd have almost half the number of YomTovcim. Well, that's what we get for staying in Golus when we could, if we really, really wanted to, be in Eretz Hakodesh.

Israel is still golus! No matter where we live, golus is a time, an era and not a place. Until moshiach comes we are all in golus.

Bitachon101

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 8:39 pm
Is it the cooking and the serving? If not, what is it that you don't like? By me the lack of structure and the food makes it hard but if you cook enough to last a few meals you can ease the stress and though variety is nice sanity is more important.
As far as eating so much heavy food...make limits. Don't let yourself stuff. Just set a stop point and keep to it.
As far as the lack of structure and kids going haywire... No advice aside for find some neighborhood girls or kids to give you some breaks and enjoy whatever sleep or relaxing you can get. And buy all the papers so you all have lots to read lol!

zaq

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 9:41 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Israel is still golus! No matter where we live, golus is a time, an era and not a place. Until moshiach comes we are all in golus.

Oh,please. If you want to start splitting philosophical hairs, I can top you by saying that golus is neither a place nor a time but a condition. Which is all very nice and will make some pulpit rabbi an excellent topic for a YK drasha, but that has nothing to do with the fact that in EY --the PLACE--at any time and under any conditions, you have a three-day YT only on the rare occasions when first day RH is Thursday or Sunday--and you should hear Israelis moan and groan about how hard it is.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 10:21 pm
zaq wrote:
Oh,please. If you want to start splitting philosophical hairs, I can top you by saying that golus is neither a place nor a time but a condition. Which is all very nice and will make some pulpit rabbi an excellent topic for a YK drasha, but that has nothing to do with the fact that in EY --the PLACE--at any time and under any conditions, you have a three-day YT only on the rare occasions when first day RH is Thursday or Sunday--and you should hear Israelis moan and groan about how hard it is.

My point is the distinction that SHOULD have been made is between israel and chutz l'aretz, not israel and golus

boysrus

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 11:30 pm
Some of us prefer three day yomtov, like me! It is the constant erev shabbos and erev yomtov that is tiring, every erev is a pressure for me anyway. make sure clothes are laundered and put away, cooking, cleaning, bathing the kids etc. Whereas if it was 3 day yomtov, and you run out of clean clothes there is nothing you can do! ...

gp2.0

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 11:39 pm
Guess I'm the only one LOVING the erev yom tov Sundays! I love that I'm rested from shabbos to prep on motzei shabbos and lazy Sunday, rather than being exhausted and going straight from a regular work day to yom tov prep.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 11:51 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Guess I'm the only one LOVING the erev yom tov Sundays! I love that I'm rested from shabbos to prep on motzei shabbos and lazy Sunday, rather than being exhausted and going straight from a regular work day to yom tov prep.

I'm with you. And since I work full time I l love having all of sunday(s) to prepare

seeker

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 12:26 am
Count me among those who prefer 3-day yomtov. It's annoying to lose Sunday but at least you have some semblance of structure during the week. Mind you this is coming on the heels of everyone having been home between camp and school for about three weeks, and we were all posting looking forward to school starting again because it's so hard to keep people on any kind of functional routine without school - and FINALLY after all that we got... a month with exactly 5 school days and EVEN LESS routine than summer vacation due to fluctuating times of lighting/davening/eating/guests/etc.

Some gemarakup told me that four of the next five years are like this. MOSHIACH NOW!

dimyona

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 12:28 am
pesek zman wrote:
I'm with you. And since I work full time I l love having all of sunday(s) to prepare

What really sucks though is not having any yom tov days fall out on weekends, which is completely wiping out all of my vacation days Sad.

etky

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 12:38 am
boysrus wrote:
Some of us prefer three day yomtov, like me! It is the constant erev shabbos and erev yomtov that is tiring, every erev is a pressure for me anyway. make sure clothes are laundered and put away, cooking, cleaning, bathing the kids etc. Whereas if it was 3 day yomtov, and you run out of clean clothes there is nothing you can do! ...

I've actually been thinking that too. Recently we had a few years of "three dayers" here - when Shabbat came out after or before Rosh Hashana and it was tough (especially finding room in the fridge/freezer for all the food) but once the chag started that was it. At the most I made a dish or two fresh for Shabbat on second day Rosh Hasahana. This year, with Sunday constantly as an erev I find that I'm in "chag prep mode" many more days. One nice aspect of the Sunday erev though is being able to fill in on dairy products and fresh salad veggies before chag. So I guess there's a silver lining to this cloud too....

animeme

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 6:33 am
boysrus wrote:

Exactly. You go into yom tov mode and you stay there for a little while.

m in Israel

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 7:07 am
I live in EY and I find this schedule much harder than last year's "3 day RH". True, preparing for a 3 day YT is hard, but then we have a whole week to prepare for YK and start Sukkos prep, and a whole 4 days after YK to prepare for Sukkos. On a year like this one I feel like every time I turn around it is Erev Shabbos or Erev YT again! Not to mention the "extra" Shabbos stuck in between YK and Sukkos which also needs to be prepared for. . .
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics