Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Grandparents: You wore masks at grandkids' Simchos?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 12:34 am
Grandparents:

Did you wear masks at your grandkids' Simchos?

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 12:43 am
So far haven't gone to any but have a grandson's bar mitzvah soon. I will see what's happening then but there's a good chance I won't go.

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 12:49 am
Yes my in laws did , as did everyone at the simcha. Its required by law.

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 1:29 am
My parents wore face shields or masks at the Simchos but imho if you are in the tristate area you should stay home at this point it is more risky now than it was even a month ago

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 1:56 am
At my sister in law’s wedding, my in laws did not wear masks, but the grandparents did wear masks and did not participate in the dancing.

Odelyah

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 2:09 am
we just made our first chasuna this summer BH and both my and my husband's parents did not come to the wedding due to Covid. We were sad but understood. If they had come they would have definitely worn masks and stayed very separate. I myself wore a mask during the kabbalas panim when people came up to say mazel tov. most of the guests were too as required by law when indoors. the chuppah was outside and the seating was spread out so masks weren't required.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 2:16 am
Masks are worn to protect others, so actually if Grandparents are present, everyone else should be wearing masks more than the Grandparents.
I assume questions come form tri-state area as it's probably the only place people even question this. Masks re being worn by all people at all times probably everywhere besides the Frum tri state areas.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 3:40 am
Yes, of course. This shouldn't even be a question.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 7:08 am
In march family had small
Wedding. No one wore masks grandparents did not attend many guest go carona

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 7:28 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
My parents wore face shields or masks at the Simchos but imho if you are in the tristate area you should stay home at this point it is more risky now than it was even a month ago

1. The people who wear masks in grandparents category are not on this site. Their kids may be so kids - please don't being grandparents to weddings and please protect them and don't go to large mass gatherings.

2. Why is it more risky? Isn't the positive percentage still 1% That means there is always a risk if around more than 100 people at a time. I think people were just not interacting as much due to camp etc and now people are coming together and I'm concerned about elderly and the community not being cautious enough.

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 7:53 am
My aunt just made a bar mitzvah here in Israel a couple of months ago.
In order that the grandparents could come, only immediate family were at the simcha. Bar mitzvah boys siblings, maybe an aunt and uncle and that's it.
But, I'm getting the vibes that this wouldn't fly in the US. And then people complain about the exorbitant Covid simchas...

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 7:59 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
1. The people who wear masks in grandparents category are not on this site. Their kids may be so kids - please don't being grandparents to weddings and please protect them and don't go to large mass gatherings.

2. Why is it more risky? Isn't the positive percentage still 1% That means there is always a risk if around more than 100 people at a time. I think people were just not interacting as much due to camp etc and now people are coming together and I'm concerned about elderly and the community not being cautious enough.

Huh? There are no 60 somethings here? Or 50 somethings going to grandsons' bar mitzvahs?
ETA: Cobalt, mazel tov!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 8:00 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Huh? There are no 60 somethings here? Or 50 somethings going to grandsons' bar mitzvahs?
ETA: Cobalt, mazel tov!

I mean to say that I don't think there are extremely RW people who are the ones mostly making chasunos or not using masks right now on this site. 4

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 8:01 am
Yes

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 8:06 am
My parents wore masks to my wedding What

southernbubby

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 8:15 am
My grandson's Bar Mitzvah was held on Zoom.
A friend of ours married off his youngest daughter and was told by the doctor to wear a mask, a shield, and sit at a table by himself at a distance from the crowd.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 8:29 am
I haven't yet been in the situation, but would wear a mask and SD if I even decided to attend. This is not the norm where I am located, unfortunately. (Midwest)
It is not just the tri state rw that gave up masks and sd...it is also out of town rw who associates themselves with the yeshivish community. The attitude is fake bitachon coming from the Top not to mention a lack of real understanding of the situation. And the pressure is huge to conform to that.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 8:35 am
My elderly mother wore a mask to my son's bar mitzvah on her chin and sat in the corner. She pulled it up anytime someone came within 6 ft of her.
She also tested positive for antibodies around a week before the bar mitzvah so her doctor felt confident in their temporary protection.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 8:37 am
I took my son for a well visit yesterday. The drs office is in boro park. I was discussing the rise of cases and the drs first words were don’t go to Simchos!!!

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 8:41 am
My mom would if it was in a setting it is mandatory (we discussed as we had a bday)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics