Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Bad smell in bathroom, what can it be?

happymom123

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 1:43 pm
We went out of town for 2 weeks over pesach and one of our bathrooms got a strange smell. It doesn't really smell like sewage but I don't know what it is, I cleaned the toilet drain, put on the fan, checked for leaks and I can't figure out where the smell is from or how to get rid of it. Does anyone have an idea of what it can be?

zaq

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 2:13 pm
Have you checked the drain in the sink or shower? If you haven't used either one for some time, the water in the trap may have evaporated, allowing gases, and thus odors, to flow backwards into the room. The reason the drain has an S-shaped pipe is so that water will remain in the lower curve and seal off the upper portion of the pipe from gases emanating from below. If a sink stands unused for a long time, the water evaporates, the seal is broken and odors abound. It's an easy fix: run water down the drain so the trap fills up again.

happymom123

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 3:46 pm
There's no shower in that bathroom, just a toilet and sink and the sink was used but the smell hasn't gone away. I'll try running through water for a bit

Bumping for more ideas

Orange42

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 4:03 pm
Is it possibly coming from the sink? Maybe pour some sink cleaner down the drain.

Orange42

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 4:03 pm
Try running hot water down for about 5 minutes.

SG18

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 12:27 am
Baking soda and vinegar poured down the sink drain clears it out nicely.

yersp

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 4:33 am
If you have a vent fan, could be possible a bird died there. I had that, couldn't figure out where the bad smell was coming from and like a dog sniffed around till it hit me in the face from the vent (it's on the wall, not ceiling). I taped a bag over it and didn't remove it for a very long time

Newcastle

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 5:37 am
Is there possibly a leak from the sink, causing dampness in the vanity? That has caused a bad smell in our case.

newbie613

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 5:59 am
I had that once and it was coming from the overflow hole in the sink. I poured cleaner down that hole and it went away. Took me around a week to figure that one out.

meme6

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 6:58 am
Can be humidity
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics