Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Lowes Employee Fired for Stopping Shoplifter!
1  2  Next

Cheiny

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 6:15 pm
The lowlifes were walking out with a shopping cart carrying $2100 worth of merchandise. This brave lady tried to stop it, ended up getting beaten up by the shoplifter, and to top it off, the store fired her! This world is too crazy for words.

Woman fired from Rincon Lowe's store after attempting to stop alleged thieves

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/ne.....ieves

number

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 6:17 pm
Because the store doesn't want to pay worker's comp.

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 6:20 pm
This is very common in retail stores: employees are told not to pursue shoplifters because they could be sued for damages

OBnursemom

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 6:26 pm
It’s a workplace violence measure. They don’t want employees to be forced to pursue potential thieves (as they used to be) because people get injured and sometimes killed.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 9:24 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
This is very common in retail stores: employees are told not to pursue shoplifters because they could be sued for damages

Yes, we all know that (except for her Rolling Eyes ), but she got fired?!!?!?!?!

Amarante

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 9:30 am
The caption for this thread is misleading as the employee was fired for not following the store's policy.

Exactly what the store was seeking to prevent happened - the employee was injured in a futile attempt to stop an economic crime. The actual outcome could have been worse as there could have been guns involved and the employee or even bystanders could have been shot by the criminals

The policy is a sane one. Standard advice for anyone confronted with a criminal is to just do nothing to avoid escalation. No different than a cashier who is advised to hand over money in the register or even just someone on the street who is held up at gunpoint.

It is up to each store to determine how they want to handle shoplifting.

As far as I am concerned it would be horrendous policy if a store required an employee to stop a criminal unless the employee had been specifically hired for that purpose AND was well trained and not just some poor shlub who was "security".

groisamomma

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 9:35 am
This is like advertising that anyone can steal from Lowe's and get away with it if they do it quickly.

exaustedmom

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 9:39 am
Shouldnt they have security guards to prevent exactly this situation?

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 10:12 am
Amarante wrote:
The caption for this thread is misleading as the employee was fired for not following the store's policy.

Exactly what the store was seeking to prevent happened - the employee was injured in a futile attempt to stop an economic crime. The actual outcome could have been worse as there could have been guns involved and the employee or even bystanders could have been shot by the criminals

The policy is a sane one. Standard advice for anyone confronted with a criminal is to just do nothing to avoid escalation. No different than a cashier who is advised to hand over money in the register or even just someone on the street who is held up at gunpoint.

As far as I am concerned it would be horrendous policy if a store required an employee to stop a criminal unless the employee had been specifically hired for that purpose AND was well trained and not just some poor shlub who was "security".

Yes, I know that she got fired because it’s the stores policy, but it was also the policy to wear a mask during the height of covid and if you didn’t, who knows what could happen to you. To be fired, is an extreme! Maybe there’s more to the story. I don’t know.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 10:16 am
yo'ma wrote:
Yes, I know that she got fired because it’s the stores policy, but it was also the policy to wear a mask during the height of covid and if you didn’t, who knows what could happen to you. To be fired, is an extreme! Maybe there’s more to the story. I don’t know.

How are the two even remotely related?

I live in an area where masks were required in retail establishments and other public spaces and people were compliant.

I am not going to debate the benefits of mask for pity's sake.

I am used to imamother bringing up tangential irrelevant arguments but this one is beyond belief.

exaustedmom

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 10:17 am
yo'ma wrote:

I agree. She was an employee dor 13 years! She shouldn't have been fired.

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 10:36 am
yo'ma wrote:
Yes, we all know that (except for her Rolling Eyes ), but she got fired?!!?!?!?!

For breaking the rules and putting her employer in legal danger? Yes.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 12:46 pm
Amarante wrote:
How are the two even remotely related?

I live in an area where masks were required in retail establishments and other public spaces and people were compliant.

I am not going to debate the benefits of mask for pity's sake.

I am used to imamother bringing up tangential irrelevant arguments but this one is beyond belief.

It has nothing to do with masks, it has to do with extreme. I understand why they have that policy in place, specifically when it’s just an employee, not a security guard, but the extreme of firing her??

Reality

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 12:50 pm
There's very little normal, middle ground these days. A worker shouldn't be expected to risk their life to stop a shoplifter. At the same time, they shouldn't be fired for taking a video of a license plate and calling the police.

BadTichelDay

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 1:12 pm
Firing her for that is extreme and seems absurd to a non-American observer. Maybe, a reprimand and clarifying the rules of engagement with her would have been in order, but nothing more than that. Personally, I'd rather have given her a prize for having guts. Anyway, does that mean in the US one can put on a mask and a hat to avoid camera recognition and then steal everything one wants unhindered and walk away with it? 'Cause if shop employees are not allowed to stop you and there's no clear picture of you, there are no consequences at all, right? That must make paying customers feel so stupid.

Fox

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 3:15 pm
BadTichelDay wrote:
'Cause if shop employees are not allowed to stop you and there's no clear picture of you, there are no consequences at all, right? That must make paying customers feel so stupid.

We're reaching a boiling point in many cities. People are frustrated and angry.

Retailers are literally closing up operations or have merchandise locked up. Few people are willing to work for retailers because of the danger. Deodorant and toothpaste are locked up as if they were iPhones.

Of course, that makes it even harder on people in poor neighborhoods. No drugstores, no grocery stores, and no big box stores. More affluent people flee to suburbs, but since suburbs are no longer safe, they flee to states and regions with stronger law enforcement and social cohesion. Or they order from Amazon.

I completely understand why retailers don't want their employees or even their security guards to engage with criminals. But that assumes a functioning society with some form of law enforcement. And to a significant extent, we no longer have that.

On Chicago's north side alone, there are regularly 6-10 beats that have no police officers assigned to them for one or more shifts each day. Over a thousand Chicago police officers left last year, and 35 percent of them quit (as opposed to retiring). Most of those left for smaller towns in more law enforcement-friendly areas. Nine hundred new officers were hired, but they're still in training, and standards had to be lowered to attract candidates. https://wgntv.com/news/wgn-inv.....year/

Lawlessness is causing our major cities to break down, and unless that is reversed, vigilante-type actions will become more and more common.

Cheiny

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 3:17 pm
Amarante wrote:

It’s not misleading at all. She was fired for stopping a shoplifter.
What about that do you think is untrue?

Cheiny

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 3:20 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
For breaking the rules and putting her employer in legal danger? Yes.

For having the good morals and conscientiousness of not wanting her employer to lose $2100 at the hands of criminals who will never have to suffer any consequences for their crimes otherwise, especially with dems’ soft on crime policies!

And if the stores keep losing so much money to shoplifters, guess what’s going to happen? Employees will get laid off!

You know, it’s really not necessary to defend every bad policy of woke idiots.

Cheiny

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 3:22 pm
Fox wrote:

Retailers are literally closing up operations or have merchandise locked up. Few people are willing to work for retailers because of the danger. Deodorant and toothpaste are locked up as if they were iPhones.

Of course, that makes it even harder on people in poor neighborhoods. No drugstores, no grocery stores, and no big box stores. More affluent people flee to suburbs, but since suburbs are no longer safe, they flee to states and regions with stronger law enforcement and social cohesion. Or they order from Amazon.

I completely understand why retailers don't want their employees or even their security guards to engage with criminals. But that assumes a functioning society with some form of law enforcement. And to a significant extent, we no longer have that.

On Chicago's north side alone, there are regularly 6-10 beats that have no police officers assigned to them for one or more shifts each day. Over a thousand Chicago police officers left last year, and 35 percent of them quit (as opposed to retiring). Most of those left for smaller towns in more law enforcement-friendly areas. Nine hundred new officers were hired, but they're still in training, and standards had to be lowered to attract candidates. https://wgntv.com/news/wgn-inv.....year/

Lawlessness is causing our major cities to break down, and unless that is reversed, vigilante-type actions will become more and more common.

And on that note… have you heard the song? Wink

BadTichelDay

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 3:28 pm
Fox wrote:

Wow, crazy system. Will probably lead to the creation of growing no-go zones in the inner cities with only their own, violent laws and black market trade that are completely outside the normal system, like the French banlieue slums.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics