Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Would this bother you?
1  2  Next

Would it bother you if your son isn't in any newsletter pictures?
Yes  
 83%  [ 137 ]
No I don't even pay attention/ look at the pictures  
 2%  [ 4 ]
No because I know he's still having fun  
 12%  [ 20 ]
Other  
 2%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 165

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 3:11 pm
If your child is never in the newsletter pictures. All the other boys look they're having so much fun while I'm looking at 5 pages and can't find my son in any pictures! Not thr 1st time this happened

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 3:12 pm
It’s happened to my kid and I mentioned it to the teacher so that they can include them in the future

amother
Clear

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 3:14 pm
If it always happened, then yes. Every once in a while, no.

scintilla

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 3:15 pm
Maybe it's petty but it definitely would. As a preschool teacher I made sure each kid was in it every week, and let me tell you it takes a lot of time and effort! As a parent I understand that it might not always be possible but I sure want it every week.

mha3484

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 3:16 pm
I have one kid that was in the school newsletter so many times it became the family joke. My other two kids are almost never in it. But really there are so many kids and only so much space for photos that I really don't think too deeply about it.

polka dots

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 3:25 pm
yeah I love seeing my kid in the newsletter but wouldn't make a big deal about it. I'm happy if they keep my son safe and happy and they still learn something too. thats amazing... It's too much for some rebbis to keep track of.
Whenever I dont see him I say "where's moishe ? oh I think I see him... he's here!!" and point to him sitting next to me and kiss him all over... It's like a silly thung that we play...

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 4:23 pm
Only if he never showed up. He doesn't have to be in pics every single week unless all the other kids were in every single week. Even so, leaving him out once in a blue moon is no biggie. The morahs are human and can't be expected to get every kid every week.

613mitzvahgirl

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 4:42 pm
I see both sides.. as a mother I always look for my child- that’s the first thing.. the other side I was a teacher, I can tell you not to worry bc maybe your cutie didn’t want to take a picture the minute the camera was snapping pictures.. we’ve had that with our students and then kids would be upset and sad the whole day.. so I hear you completely.. but the saying goes if your cutie comes home daily with a smile, then that says it all.. if you feel you’re cutie isn’t happy, reach out to the staff.. it’s a two way street..

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 4:45 pm
I'd say something to the teacher if my child was never or seldom in pictures. My son's teacher makes sure every child is in at least one picture every week.

amother
Acacia

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 5:19 pm
Depends if you send to a camp with 15 boys or a camp with a few hundred boys...

My son goes to camp chevra in lakewood, it's huge! I don't care that he's not in the newsletter!

If I sent to a small daycamp that sent a bunch of pictures every week and he was never in it, it would bother me!

Did your son want to have his picture in the newsletter? I can imagine some boys not caring for it.

dv

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 5:29 pm
It also depends on your kid…my kids hate being in pictures and run away from it and I know not to expect to see them…sometimes the teachers get them…

amother
Tuberose

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 5:30 pm
Some kids hate being in pictures and I don't force. When I take a picture I just invite anyone who wants to join.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 7:19 pm
If it’s summer then I wouldn’t mind as much because the day camp I send to sends home one newsletter for the entire day camp and it’s impossible to include every kid. During the year I would because in a class of 20-25 kids I would expect to see my child at least once.

Cheiny

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 7:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
If your child is never in the newsletter pictures. All the other boys look they're having so much fun while I'm looking at 5 pages and can't find my son in any pictures! Not thr 1st time this happened

In my ds’s yeshiva several years ago it become very obvious that the very wealthy kids had their pics in the newsletter every weak without fail. It became a joke that parents would talk about… “Oh, look another picture of the so and so boy!”

Of course they put other kids’ pictures in here and there on occasion but the very wealthy ones were in there every single week without fail. I guess that’s one way to kiss up to their major donors,

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 8:01 pm
It does bother me because it is the same 5-6 kids each week.
The camp is huge (100+ kids?) But my son was never featured or in a photo. Even when they sent out photos from a special 1 grade overnight (20-30 kids?) .
In class he never got a special mention. Yeah it bothers me.
I found out why my daughter was never in photos. A specific mom came often to the class to help and only took photos of her daughter and her daughters friends. She actually excluded my daughter (I saw it). Those photos made it into the newsletter.

I wish the schools and camps paid more attention. Don't call out the same 3 kids for good questions etc. No, they don't have to lie but at least put something in the newsletter about each kid at least once in a while! It isn't an award or student of the week where it has to be merit based. Announce kid A for something academic, put photo of kid B, and say thank you to kid C etc. Not every week but every 2 or 3 months you can mention each kid once!

Iymnok

Post Sat, Aug 05 2023, 2:28 pm
DS jumps into every picture and befriends the entertainers to get called up. The rest of my kids don't.
Guess who gets in?
He also fries to stay near a friend who's great grandfather is a well known Gadol and tries to be nearby. So far he hasn't made it into a published picture.

amother
Moonstone

Post Sat, Aug 05 2023, 11:53 pm
Some Morah s take the extra moment to make sure that every kid's face is in at least one picture every week.

I know I did that...

amother
Moonstone

Post Sat, Aug 05 2023, 11:55 pm
amother Apricot wrote:
It does bother me because it is the same 5-6 kids each week.
The camp is huge (100+ kids?) But my son was never featured or in a photo. Even when they sent out photos from a special 1 grade overnight (20-30 kids?) .
In class he never got a special mention. Yeah it bothers me.
I found out why my daughter was never in photos. A specific mom came often to the class to help and only took photos of her daughter and her daughters friends. She actually excluded my daughter (I saw it). Those photos made it into the newsletter.

I wish the schools and camps paid more attention. Don't call out the same 3 kids for good questions etc. No, they don't have to lie but at least put something in the newsletter about each kid at least once in a while! It isn't an award or student of the week where it has to be merit based. Announce kid A for something academic, put photo of kid B, and say thank you to kid C etc. Not every week but every 2 or 3 months you can mention each kid once!

You are taking it too personal. Not being in photos or mentioned is combination of the childs nature and the way the classroom or camp is run...

I do agree in the ideal World it should be done with some sort of system

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 12:47 am
As a preschool teacher myself I go through the class list before submitting the newsletter to make sure every kid is in at least 1 photo... The other teachers do the same. Just sayin...

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 3:55 am
amother Moonstone wrote:
You are taking it too personal. Not being in photos or mentioned is combination of the childs nature and the way the classroom or camp is run...

I do agree in the ideal World it should be done with some sort of system

In an entire school year not getting talked about ONCE? that's too personal? When the Rebbe specifically calls out 2-3 kids each week for good questions, interesting thoughts, or achievements. This is in lower elementary school.

Yeah, donor kids get noticed a lot.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children