Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
At my wits end

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 12:07 pm
When my 20 month old son wakes up from his nap, he is completely out of control for 20-30 minutes. He screams and screams. I can’t hold him because he is stretching and wiggling and screaming and will wriggle out of my arms. He is likely still tired but won’t go back to sleep. I am at my wits end. I lay him down on a safe, soft surface and sit next to him and murmur to him and rub him like I do during a tantrum. After around 30 minutes he is exhausted and stops crying. I feel so bad and would like to help him regulate better. Does anyone have any advice?

amother
DarkCyan

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 12:10 pm
I read about a mother who had the same problem and she figured out that her dd was waking up really hungry. She would bring her a snack right away and it regulated her in a few minutes, you could see if that’s the trigger for your ds as well!

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 1:04 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
I read about a mother who had the same problem and she figured out that her dd was waking up really hungry. She would bring her a snack right away and it regulated her in a few minutes, you could see if that’s the trigger for your ds as well!

We hand our toddler a sippy cup of (soy) milk to drink as soon as she wakes up to help her

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 1:47 pm
Put down a bottle & some food & walk away

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 2:11 pm
Ok will try giving him food and a good drink like watered down juice right in front of him. I asked him if he wants food and he has a sippy cup of water in the crib with him always but may be better to put it down next to him instead of talking about it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics