Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Focusing issue
Previous  1  2

amother
Trillium

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 1:00 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you!
Is this a good book for focusing issues in general or only if she's ADHD?
Focusing issues in general

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 1:09 am
amother Trillium wrote:
Read finally focused by Dr James Greenblatt
Ok. This post actually made me come full circle.
Full confession. I think I won't be able to focus through a book like this. TMI It's very technical and has lots of information. Too 'boring' for me. It'll require TONS of effort on my part to get through each sentence. I think my daughter is like me when it comes to paying attention to technical, heavy information type of stuff. I would never classify myself as ADHD or Inattentive ADHD. I simply find it too boring to stay focused for more than a few minutes. But maybe that IS inattentive ADHA? Dunno?

In this case I might be motivated to help DD, so I might be able to read through that book but it'll take lots of effort and I'll probably need to read through some pages again and again because I'll find myself reading it without focusing.
I was a 100% student in subjects that were more stimulating , like Math and Literature. But subjects like Science which was technical or Geography with bored me to death to memorize so many names of places and capitals and their location, I wasn't stimulated enough to even want to pay attention. I think DD is exactly the same.
When I wanted to win a Geography contest I and really put myself into it, I actually did win!
DD also studdied for a contest last year for a subject which she failed throughout the year, but she knew it perfectly for the contest. She didn't win though. But I rewarded her for the effort and All the grandparents rewarded her too. My point is when she's motivated she'll push herself.

So I'm not sure that it's a processing issue.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 1:09 am
amother Trillium wrote:
Focusing issues in general
Will buy it then. Thank you!!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 1:30 am
I did a search about inattentive ADHD
Symptoms of Inattentive ADHD
1. Lack of attention to detail. ...
2. Trouble staying focused. ...
3. Frequent spaciness. ...
4. Difficulty following instructions. ...
5. Easily distracted. ...
6. Forgetfulness. ...
7. Often misplacing possessions. ...
8. Difficulty sustaining mental effort.

My daughter has #2 but only when it comes to certain school subjects and maybe #5 when doing homework. She deoesn;t get distracted ever when I talk to her or while helping around the house. She doesn't have any other symptom

amother
Quince

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 1:40 am
could you please tell me more? Is there someone in the tristate that could evaluate her to tell me if it's worth the trip to London?[/quote]

I take my son to Dr. Press in lakewood. He's good.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 1:46 am
amother Quince wrote:
could you please tell me more? Is there someone in the tristate that could evaluate her to tell me if it's worth the trip to London?

I take my son to Dr. Press in lakewood. He's good.[/quote]from my understanding he;s a regular good eye doctor. Nothing more than that. Am I wrong?

amother
Quince

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 8:32 am
amother OP wrote:
from my understanding he;s a regular good eye doctor. Nothing more than that. Am I wrong?

No hes a developmental optometrist. He specializes in prism.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 9:42 am
I honestly think it makes sense to get her evaluated. Sure, it's possible that she has an atypical presentation of ADHD. It's also possible that she has some sort of nonverbal learning disability, or auditory processing issue, or something else. Only an evaluation can tell you for sure. And then you can help her in a way that makes sense.

dena613

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 10:46 am
Underlying learning disability?
Is it more related to reading?

Why can't it just be (if she is an A student in several subjects) that she isn't interested in some subjects?
She doesn't have to be perfect in every area

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:53 pm
Kids with ADHD can focus or even hyperfocus on things that are interesting. And tune out wuen it isn't.

Kids with ADHD can be straight A students even if they aren't paying attention in class.

Kids with ADHD can be responsible at home.

Kids with ADHD can be very careful with their possessions and not lose things.

This doesn't mean you child has ADHD. But it means she could have it and it is worth finding out or ruling it out so you can help her.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 7:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
could you please tell me more? Is there someone in the tristate that could evaluate her to tell me if it's worth the trip to London?

Dr Rubin in Nanuet NY cash doctor in Monsey has a few month wait list though.
Dr. Wasserlof of Bright View Optical in Monsey might take your insurance and can tell this with technology I never tried either doctor though.
I'm sure there are other doctors in Brooklyn area as well that do this.

amother
Daisy

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 7:45 pm
Honestly, from working with many kids with various forms of ADHD, your dd does not sound like a candidate. Nor would I suspect functional vision/ prism glasses based on what you wrote. Out of everything mentioned, I do think it's worthwhile to target sleep, because that's the basis for pretty much every brain function. See if you can get that to a better place, and if it helps. Although it will undoubtedly help in other ways as well.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 7:51 pm
amother Daisy wrote:
Honestly, from working with many kids with various forms of ADHD, your dd does not sound like a candidate. Nor would I suspect functional vision/ prism glasses based on what you wrote. Out of everything mentioned, I do think it's worthwhile to target sleep, because that's the basis for pretty much every brain function. See if you can get that to a better place, and if it helps. Although it will undoubtedly help in other ways as well.

Are you a professional trained to diagnose? And do you diagnose without evaluating? Do you know how many of my students (I’m an SLP) were told by teachers, tutors, etc (people who thought they knew) that there was no way they had ADHD, and they did?
Are you in Lakewood, OP?

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 7:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
She's helpful at home, she stays focused when cleaning up the entire playroom. She stays focused when doing a craft project for however long it takes. She can watch a play for 3 hours straight or read a book for a looooong time. She also listens to stories in school. The stories she repeats at home but the actual 'boring' lesson loses her attention. She just sits in class quietly without paying attention to what the teacher says.

She doesn't lose things. she's very organized and clean. She's responsible.

I'm not familiar with Inattentive ADHD. Do you
still think it is Inattentive ADHD?

From your description now, not really. I reread your OP, what do you mean when you say she has trouble focusing?

I would still get an evaluation and also wonder about a possible processing or learning issue as someone mentioned above.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 8:00 pm
Has this been an issue in the past, or is it new to this year? Have there been years when it wasn’t an issue? Coming from a teacher, it could also be that the classes are too one-dimensional and boring, especially if things are too easy or way too hard.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children