Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Should I take a tetanus shot?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 8:21 am
I stepped on a rusty screw, felt a little prick, but don't see anything on my foot.
Would you go for a tetanus shot for that?
I have no clue when my last shot was. My OB doesn't have one on record and I don't have a pcp.
I'm scared of the shot. I'm scared of not taking the shot.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 8:29 am
Why are you scared of the shot? If you had childhood vaccinations, you’ve received it multiple times.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 8:30 am
Yes absolutely.

amother
Raspberry

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 8:32 am
No point. It does nothing for a few weeks, by then the tetanus would have been in your system for too long and would have done its damage.

Tetanus is not from rust. It’s from animal feces. Look it up. Squeeze it out till it bleeds, clean it up, put some honey on it or some cream if you would like, and cover it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 8:33 am
amother Navy wrote:
Why are you scared of the shot? If you had childhood vaccinations, you’ve received it multiple times.

Because I have anxiety Smile
Everything makes me scared.
And I have ocd, so I'm reading every thread on the topic...

And one thread mentioned a horror story of someone that unknowingly got one when they didn't need it, how do I know for SURE that I need it? And there isn't even a mark on my skin... (see the obsessive thoughts?)

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 8:34 am
amother Raspberry wrote:
No point. It does nothing for a few weeks, by then the tetanus would have been in your system for too long and would have done its damage.

Tetanus is not from rust. It’s from animal feces. Look it up. Squeeze it out till it bleeds, clean it up, put some honey on it or some cream if you would like, and cover it.

This. Tetanus is not from rust and I’m wondering where the misconception came from. It’s from animal feces.
Even if you did live on a farm the shot would be too late for you if you really did get tetanus.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 8:36 am
amother OP wrote:
Because I have anxiety Smile
Everything makes me scared.
And I have ocd, so I'm reading every thread on the topic...

And one thread mentioned a horror story of someone that unknowingly got one when they didn't need it, how do I know for SURE that I need it? And there isn't even a mark on my skin... (see the obsessive thoughts?)

Do you remember the last five years or so? Did you have a PCP in the last five years?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 8:36 am
amother Sapphire wrote:
This. Tetanus is not from rust and I’m wondering where the misconception came from. It’s from animal feces.
Even if you did live on a farm the shot would be too late for you if you really did get tetanus.

Dr. Google says get the shot within 48 hours.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 8:37 am
amother OP wrote:

Call your actual doctor and ask her.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 8:40 am
amother OP wrote:

This is what I asked Dr. Google: does tetanus come from rust

Response: Rust does not cause tetanus. Many people grow up believing they will get tetanus from stepping on a rusty nail. And while a puncture wound from a nail is something to take seriously, you don't get tetanus from rust. Rather, bacteria that live in soil and feces cause tetanus.

fleetwood

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 8:40 am
Get the shot. That's my doctor's advice.

amother
Caramel

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 8:43 am
If it didn't puncture your skin there is literally no risk.

If it did puncture and bled, there is also no risk.

If it wasn't around animal feces, no risk.

If you still think there's a risk, you want the Tetanus toxoid *antibody* shot. The vaccine takes 2 weeks to kick in and by then it will be too late.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 8:46 am
I don't have a Dr. That's the problem.

How do I know that the screw wasn't covered in animal feces on the ground at one point? I don't. That's the problem.

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 8:47 am
amother Sapphire wrote:

Correct it’s not from rust but you are spreading false information as well.

It’s not from rust but stepping on a rusty nail can definitely cause it, hence the misconception. While it can be from animal feces as well, it’s a specific bacteria that lives in a lot of places, not just feces. The reason rusty objects are considered a cause is because it’s common to be found in the soil surrounding it, and by opening a wound you are potentially exposed. You should also get a shot if you get cut on a rock. Typically any wounds exposed to soil, dirt or manure trigger getting a shot.

You have up to 3 days after the exposure to get the shot and it absolutely is effective in that timeframe.

amother
NeonPink

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 8:48 am
amother Sapphire wrote:
This is what I asked Dr. Google: does tetanus come from rust

Response: Rust does not cause tetanus. Many people grow up believing they will get tetanus from stepping on a rusty nail. And while a puncture wound from a nail is something to take seriously, you don't get tetanus from rust. Rather, bacteria that live in soil and feces cause tetanus.

But there's a good chance the rusty nail was lying around in soil or other unclean surfaces. So it may not be the rust itself that is the problem, but the rust is what indicates it os unclean and may have had some contact with dirty bacteria.

Curious if those who are advising OP not to take the shot are willing to carry the burden if G-d forbid something does happen. It's beyond me how people readily play doctor and rely on Dr. Google based on their limited medical knowledge.

OP - ask your doctor. Tetanus is not a mild condition to play around with. I understand you have anxiety, but it can stave off worse anxieties if this puncture introduces infection in your body.

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 8:49 am
amother OP wrote:

How do I know that the screw wasn't covered in animal feces on the ground at one point? I don't. That's the problem.

You can go to any urgent care for a tetanus shot. If the nail was sitting on a clean sidewalk I wouldn’t worry as much. If it was in any sort of dirt and happened less than 3 days ago you should definitely go get one.

amother
NeonPink

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 8:52 am
amother OP wrote:

It can be any doctor - it's a common situation that all doctors can address.

We never know what a dirty object was exposed to, hence the standard recommendation to get a shot. This is usually a situation where an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.

But speak to a doctor about your particular case and outline your concerns. He or she will advise accordingly. Please don't take advice from anonymous random strangers here.

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 8:52 am
amother Caramel wrote:
If it didn't puncture your skin there is literally no risk.

If it did puncture and bled, there is also no risk.

If it wasn't around animal feces, no risk.

If you still think there's a risk, you want the Tetanus toxoid *antibody* shot. The vaccine takes 2 weeks to kick in and by then it will be too late.

Please know what your talking about before spreading false information that can actually have an impact on someone’s health and life.

amother
Diamond

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 8:54 am
Oh this is interesting. I was told not to pierce my babies ears until she gets a tetanus shot .

amother
DarkRed

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 8:59 am
Please take the shot. If you are anti vax then this is a different discussion but if you take vaccines you take this. Nothing to be scared about
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics