Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Are you having turkey tonight?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Yes. Just us family
Yes we are going to family for turkey  
 14%  [ 26 ]
We are having guests over for turkey  
 8%  [ 15 ]
No we don't celebrate through turkey  
 72%  [ 128 ]
No we don't like turkey  
 4%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 177

amother
Pear

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 7:36 pm
Oh yeah!! Full seudah!!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 8:31 pm
we started doing it the last few years. we're home, my boss gives us a turkey, and it's fun.

amother
Trillium

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 8:44 pm
Read "Rivkah's First Thanksgiving" by Elsa Okon Rael. It's based on the real story of a girl growing up on the Lower East Side who consulted her Rebbe about Thanksgiving. It's a very sweet story.

I'm a vegetarian, so no turkey, but enjoying lots of sides.

I'm grateful to the US for standing behind Israel and providing huge financial backing and extremely important political support, particularly in the first days. The US has been very good to my family. We have pulled ourselves up from poverty in the old country and have had freedom to live Jewish lives. Our children have had wonderful Jewish educations and possess very strong Jewish identities. Is living here perfect? No. But it sure beats Jewish life in many other parts of the world. My heart is in Israel, but for a number of reasons, my feet are in the US. Today is a good day to express my gratitude for all that this country has given my family and on Shabbos I will express my gratitude that I am free to go to shul and protected from forced work hours on Saturday.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 8:58 pm
You don’t have a response for ‘I am Canadian.”

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 9:01 pm
I usually do turkey cold cut sandwiches for supper on Thanksgiving but I used up the turkey I bought for lunches other days this week.

giftedmom

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 9:01 pm
No response for “we don’t celebrate”?

amother
Nemesia

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 10:14 pm
We went to my in laws for a Thanksgiving meal. My MIL always serves turkey, but no one in my family eats it, so she also made corned beef and some other stuff. We don't have all the traditional American sides, because MIL prefers to make foods she knows her children and grandchildren will enjoy. We had a bunch of kugels which are definitely not an American dish.

bigsis144

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 10:19 pm
On years where we are not getting together with family for a family meal (ie the vast majority of years), our household has a belated Thanksgiving meal on Friday night, rather than me cooking a big meal two nights in a row. I wouldn’t think of serving leftovers on Shabbos, so I’d have to make something completely different!

So we will have turkey and stuffing and pumpkin pie and cranberry kugel soon enough. I love those flavors, and I am happy to celebrate Thanksgiving, and there are no binding halachos of exactly how and when to celebrate 😉

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 10:50 pm
giftedmom wrote:
No response for “we don’t celebrate”?

That option is there. The one that says don't celebrate with turkey

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 11:09 pm
All of you bragging "we don't celebrate, it's just another day," get over yourselves. You're not holier than anyone else. Some of us enjoy Thanksgiving.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 11:28 pm
We had family over. Turkey, roaster chicken, gravy, cranberry relish, deli salad, green beans, beef jerky, sweet potato, sweet potato pie, chocolate soufflé.

dena613

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 11:58 pm
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
All of you bragging "we don't celebrate, it's just another day," get over yourselves. You're not holier than anyone else. Some of us enjoy Thanksgiving.

Huh? Why is it bragging to be honest that we don't celebrate Thanksgiving?

miami85

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 12:09 am
We did but for a funny reason. We got married Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend, and that Thursday before I had somethings to settle in our apartment-to-be and I thought my chosson was out at his Thanksgiving dinner with his family and it got to be dinnertime and my brother who was with us went to get Shwarma from a nearby place while I puttered around the apartment. We were sitting and eating in my apartment and there was a knock at the door, my brother went to open it and it was my chosson who heard voices in the apartment and wanted to make sure it was legit. He saw my brother eating shwarma and commented that he'd also had Turkey Shwarma that day for his "Thanksgiving dinner" with his non-frum family. So from then on, as much as we can, we try to have Turkey Shwarma on Thanksgiving.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 12:33 am
amother Razzmatazz wrote:

Not everyone is American here. It was thanksgiving in Canada on October 9. We don’t usually celebrate it because of how close to the chagim it is but when we lived in the states we did.

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 1:04 am
Even though we don't celebrate Thanksgiving or July 4, frum Jews probably appreciate America more than most Americans.

We appreciate freedom of religion, equal rights, and all other freedoms.

We appreciate the unique opportunity for prosperity.

We daven on Shobbos for the success of America.

We call America a Malchus shel Chessed,
A kingdom of kindness.

a2z

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 1:12 am
Don't live in US isn't a poll option

tweety1

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 1:26 am
Thanksgiving day is every single day of the year

NechaMom

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 1:36 am
#BestBubby wrote:
Even though we don't celebrate Thanksgiving or July 4, frum Jews probably appreciate America more than most Americans.

We appreciate freedom of religion, equal rights, and all other freedoms.

We appreciate the unique opportunity for prosperity.

We daven on Shobbos for the success of America.

We call America a Malchus shel Chessed,
A kingdom of kindness.

I appreciate America so much less this Thanksgiving than last.
Hiding
I think I will just eat a bagel and lox. With a side of hummus.

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 1:46 am
You are right Necha Mom.

America is not as great as it once was.

a2z

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 2:12 am
NechaMom wrote:
I appreciate America so much less this Thanksgiving than last.
Hiding
I think I will just eat a bagel and lox. With a side of hummus.

Eww! have a bagel and lox and a falafel maybe.
Don't ruin your b&l with chumus! LOL
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics