Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Client cancelled because of boss - how to tell him

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 8:58 pm
I'm wondering how to handle this correctly and would like some insight.

A big client of mine (there are a few of us employees and we each have certain clients that we take care of) became very upset because of an interaction he had with my boss and decided he isn't going to continue using our services. My boss isn't aware that it's because of him that the client is cancelling. He does know that the client was very difficult to work with, but I'm still not happy with him thinking that I may be at fault here. I don't want to be disrespectful by telling him the client said it was his fault (I have a recording of the call where he actually said that, so I know it as fact.)

How do I tell him this respectfully?

amother
Obsidian

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:01 pm
Hmm tough call. Although I would want him to know, I don’t think I would say it to him directly. Do you have a supervisor you can tell that can pass along the message?

amother
Brunette

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:03 pm
How did the client tell you? If it was by email I would just forward it to the boss...

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:05 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:
Hmm tough call. Although I would want him to know, I don’t think I would say it to him directly. Do you have a supervisor you can tell that can pass along the message?

No. There are others above him, but he's the manager of my department.

ShishKabob

If he was the last that interacted with them, you can say they were unhappy with their last interaction. (are you supposed to know that it was with him?)

amother
OP

amother Brunette wrote:
How did the client tell you? If it was by email I would just forward it to the boss...

It was on the phone...

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:06 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
If he was the last that interacted with them, you can say they were unhappy with their last interaction. (are you supposed to know that it was with him?)

He wouldn't know that he interacted with them last and not me. Were were both in touch with the client recently.

amother
Glitter

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:08 pm
Typically one does not score points telling the boss it was because of him
You can tell him to get feedback from the client directly or send the client a feedback questionnaire
Or say you are unclear as to what transpired but know from the client they were pleased with your work

ShishKabob

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
He wouldn't know that he interacted with them last and not me. Were were both in touch with the client recently.
It seems that if push comes to shove you will have to tell him. There's only that much that you can 'protect' him with this. In the best case, he learns from his mistake and will not do such a thing again that can alienate a client. If you need to tell him you can try to phrase it in a nicer way. Hugs

amother
Papayawhip

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:09 pm
Hi boss
The client is canceling
Attached please find the receipts, notes on where we got up to etc
Additionally this recording has some feedback that he shared. I am including it so you can hear from him if you want, what his experience was like

abound

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:11 pm
maybe that the client cancelled saying something that after his last interaction with the boss, the boss would know why....
Or jut act innocentlt, what happened with client ....he is upset abt something with u. I want to try to convince him to stay with us...do u have any insight why he is this upset with u...

ponderinglife

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:11 pm
I would absolutely share the feedback with the boss. Present it as something the client shared during the last conversation, I thought you would want to be aware and let me know if there's anything you'd like me to do that may be able to regain the client's trust or something we can keep in mind for the future so we dont lose future clients. If you position it as sharing feedback from a place of concern it should go over well.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:12 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
It seems that if push comes to shove you will have to tell him. There's only that much that you can 'protect' him with this. In the best case, he learns from his mistake and will not do such a thing again that can alienate a client. If you need to tell him you can try to phrase it in a nicer way. Hugs

It's not so much about protecting him, it's more about how much is worth saying to make him think better of me, when he also might not like the blame being cast on him.

He's a very nice person, but it could also reflect badly on me to say it's his fault, that I'm not willing to take any blame for something that goes wrong... In general I can get a bit defensive when I feel someone isn't happy with me while meanwhile I've put so much effort into going above and beyond, so I guess I'm scared it will come out the wrong way.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:13 pm
amother Glitter wrote:
Typically one does not score points telling the boss it was because of him
You can tell him to get feedback from the client directly or send the client a feedback questionnaire
Or say you are unclear as to what transpired but know from the client they were pleased with your work

Yes, this is my concern.

On the other hand, I've put in so much effort in my work recently (and in this particular client) that I feel it isn't fair for anyone to think badly on me because of this...

ShishKabob

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
It's not so much about protecting him, it's more about how much is worth saying to make him think better of me, when he also might not like the blame being cast on him.

He's a very nice person, but it could also reflect badly on me to say it's his fault, that I'm not willing to take any blame for something that goes wrong... In general I can get a bit defensive when I feel someone isn't happy with me while meanwhile I've put so much effort into going above and beyond, so I guess I'm scared it will come out the wrong way.
Very valid, I hear you. In this case, I would suck it up and take the proverbial blame. Unless, Maybe you can get the client to send you a quick email saying something to the effect that it was a pleasure to deal with you, even if they're not continuing using your company for whatever it is.

amother
Tomato

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:18 pm
Your not putting the blame on him if you tell him about it. I would say something like, "client wants to cancel. Says he's mad about something with you. (Roll eyes/ sigh) You know how he is. Do you think there's anything you can do to smooth things over with him? Or is it even worth it? Maybe we should just say good riddance? What do you think?"
You are not blaming him. You are blanking y the client. And you are respecting him by asking him how to proceed.

amother
Electricblue

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:20 pm
As a boss myself I'd 100% want to know. It's not about putting blame it's about knowing where things went wrong. I'd email your boss a recording of the conversation and an email saying the client canceled. Also was the client aware that they were being recorded because if not that may be a problem.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes, this is my concern.

On the other hand, I've put in so much effort in my work recently (and in this particular client) that I feel it isn't fair for anyone to think badly on me because of this...

You can explain to your boss that the client misunderstood his last interaction with the boss and wants to leave. You would like to call client back and persuade client to give your company another chance as you will be the clients only contact. All communicaton will be cc'd to boss and anyone else boss wants.
If your work is acceptable, the client may agree. After all, starting over with another company is time wasted.

amother
Navy

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:36 pm
OP, maybe share it with the hire ups (his boss) and let them deal with it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics