Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Moving and need help
1  2  Next

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Sun, Jul 26 2009, 6:25 pm
Hi there ppl, I'm in the process of moving from Monroe to Monsey. my moving date is IY"H Aug. 12th.
I have 2 and a half weeks and an entire apt. to pack.. I was wondering if there are any lovely woman who live in monroe who would like to do a mitzvah and help me pack up a little.
I'm home everyday from after 3 pm, and my husband comes home at about 7-8.
any volunteers.. I'm desperate.

You can pm me for my phone number or address.
Thanx in Advance!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jul 26 2009, 6:40 pm
Your mover can pack for you; it's not that expensive.

curlytop

Post Sun, Jul 26 2009, 7:29 pm
I think that 2 1/2 weeks should be plenty of time to pack it yourself..
Start with the Seforim and other items that you do not need on day to day, and then work from there..
I packed an apt from me , my husband and 2 kids in 9 days, and I didnt feel pressured at all.
Just remember to get a cleaning lady when you move out to take care of all of the gross stuff Tongue Out

greenfire

Post Sun, Jul 26 2009, 7:46 pm
get boxes from your local supermarket and just do one thing at a time ... mark the boxes so you know which room they belong and then make sure to put them straight into the room they belong in the new place ... if you're renting a truck you can get boxes from them as well but they will cost money ...

good luck on your move !!!

Twizzlers

Post Sun, Jul 26 2009, 8:24 pm
yeah, its really not so hard to pack up. I did it for me, dh and 2 kids, pretty much by myself in about a week.
start now, make yourself a goal of a few boxes each nite...start with the stuff u dont need immediately.
hatzlacha

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 3:12 am
PPl, thank you so much for your offers, but I didn't ask for moving advice.. I know how to label things, and I know that it wont take that long, but a few points.
1. I moved 8 months ago, myself. I mean with a mover, but packed myself, also did it in 2 weeks, not bec. I didn't have more time, bec. I push e/thing off to the last minute, I only work well under pressure when I know there's no more choice.
2. I just got married, so after moving 8 months ago, it was almost like moving again, reorganizing the house again so s/one else can live in there too, I had gotten a lot more stuff..
3. I get tired out really quickly, I packed a few books into a box one day, after five minutes I was energyless.
4. I get overwhelmed really quickly, so when I see all that has to be done, I don't know where to start and I end up doing nothing.
5. I've got a loooot of other pressures (moving and non moving related), and it adds a lot of stress.

so again, I don't mean to come across as mean, or not appreciative, but I need volunteers who live in monroe to come and help my physically pack..

Thanx again! and sorry for being chutzpahdig.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 10:19 am
Take time off of work - both you and your dh - to pck, then. Or have the movers do it.

bbmom

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 10:36 am
What's wrong with her asking for help? It seems like people keep trying to belittle her request. She knows what she can handle, you do not.

curlytop

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 10:39 am
No problem, she can get help all she wants... I just know that the thought of packing was more overwhelming than the actual deed... so I was sharing my experience.
Good luck with the move!

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 3:36 pm
Curly, I moved 8 months ago and reorganized 3 months ago, so I also experienced it and it was very very hard and tiring, yeah maybe it was my fault that I pushed it off till the last minute, but that's the only way I work, under pressure, but then I suffer the consequences.
Neither me nor hubby can afford to take off work, they will barely let me take off the day that I'm moving, I will be here with them the day of moving, to make sure e/thing goes ok, and I'll help them pack, tell them where things go, so it will go faster and cost me less.
they are coming now at 4 to do a personal estimate, so I'll see if I can afford it. well I know I can't, but I mean they're cheaper then others and it will take off a big pressure if I know that they can pack me and I can also pack as much as I have energy. but the more I pack, the less it's gonna cost me bec. they will spend less time on it.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 3:42 pm
bbmom wrote:
What's wrong with her asking for help? It seems like people keep trying to belittle her request. She knows what she can handle, you do not.

Thanx for sticking up for me bbmom, I really needed that.

HealthCoach

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 3:47 pm
I would love to help. Sorry I'm not in Monroe. Good luck with the move.

Sherri

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 4:07 pm
Mitzvah Giraffe wrote:
I would love to help. Sorry I'm not in Monroe. Good luck with the move.

Ditto.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 4:41 pm
I took vacation days to move and unpack. Don't you have any days to take? Or take them unpaid.

ChutzPAh

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 8:52 pm
she already said she can't take off. Why is everyone starting up with her? She is asking for physical help. If you can't help her, move along to the next thread. Sheesh.

ChutzPAh

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 8:54 pm
And CM, for someone who is always trying to be frugal, the movers that pack for you are quite expensive!

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 9:02 pm
Last time we moved having the movers pack for us was $1000.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 9:09 pm
We are moving a whole house full of stuff and had only 2-1/2 weeks to pack. I hired some BY girls to help me and paid them $8/hr. We got a TON done together and it was really nice to have their company, too.

Good luck with your move and new home Purple Rox.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 9:09 pm
If a/thing, I owe my work days, no vacation days. and I can't afford to take days off unpaid.
I need $1600.00 for August rent and a security check, half for August for my current landlord, another month rent that I owe him since February, about a $1000 for movers and my bank account is below negative, theyre about to close my bank account, every single check bounces..
can I afford to take unpaid days off. I don't think so. it hurts to even think about it.

Flowerpot

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 9:30 pm
Good to hear your moving. Sorry I won't be able to come over to help its too far.
hatzlacha on your packing and moving. and enjoy your new appt.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics