Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I miss E"Y terribly!
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 1:31 pm
I guess this thread is probably just a vent...

We were there for succos and everything about it is just so....beautiful inside and out.
the land itself is beautiful.
I love seeing all the street signs and everything in Hebrew.
everyone is JEWISH. frum or not, it bring a certain feeling of comfort just knowing that. despite all the bombs and the dangers because of our evil neighbors, I just feel safer, more comfortable there.
People are sincerely happy. money or no money, people have such pride and care about what they do and its just such a different feeling than the rat race of america.

I know.... Exploding anger Exploding anger I am waiting for the "regulars" to post "so, what are you waiting for? move already!"
But its not that simple... Our entire lives are here, and all in all, we are happy here, and moving would be exceedingly difficult. and I worry about the adjustment for kids. and I worry about $ for us. and I worry about parents, and grandparents, and our entire family. I am just venting about the fact that I truly miss being there.
I miss walking through the streets of the old city and just literally feeling the kedusha.
I miss the arba minim shuk and the tumult before yom tov...the zerizus and passion with which people observe mitzvos

and I miss all the "fun" not so "spiritual" things too! I miss all the delicious restaurants Smile I miss the hot sun in mid october! I miss real yerushalmi kugel like nowhere else in the world!

Tamiri

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 2:00 pm
Why "amother"? These feelings are the most normal thing to have!
BTW re: "all the bombs"... how many did you see when you were here?

hila

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 2:03 pm
"so, what are you waiting for? move already!" LOL LOL

But we all had the same doubts you have.

We came... and some of teh family followed.

Somehow we live here

The benefits outway all the doubts and troubles....

Come ! $50 one way ticket ! Wink

mummy-bh

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 2:08 pm
how old are your kids? I just made aliya this summer with all my gang age 12 down, and they're adjusting very well B"H.

Any questions?? Smile

mummy-bh

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 2:10 pm
(P.S. Hila, we paid £60 for all 10 of us!)

amother

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 3:32 pm
tamiri - none! thats my point!! b'h. bad things happen everywhere and anywhere.

Im amother because I am scared of being bashed for my ambivalence!! I feel this tie and relaly strongly feel "leibi bamizrach...." but still...movign is a terrible prospect. all I can say is that I have gone to E"Y dozens upon dozens of times, b'h, in my life, and never since seminary did I feel this yearning to go back...never did I miss it just this much...its always sad when any "vacation" is over, but it was such a depressing feeling (honestly, Idont know how to describe it) this time, to come back to america...

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 5:06 pm
You know, when we can't go into the sukkah the difference between us and those outsiders given the chance in the future is that we won't kick the sukkah door, I.e. we won't feel disgusted with the sukkah, relieved not to have to do it, etc.

That's you! Your vent is beautiful, and the way it should be. That the pain will dissipate isn't bad, it's normal, that's also how it should be so we can continue to function.

Tamiri

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 1:10 pm
amother wrote:
tamiri - none! thats my point!! b'h. bad things happen everywhere and anywhere.

Im amother because I am scared of being bashed for my ambivalence!! I feel this tie and relaly strongly feel "leibi bamizrach...." but still...movign is a terrible prospect. all I can say is that I have gone to E"Y dozens upon dozens of times, b'h, in my life, and never since seminary did I feel this yearning to go back...never did I miss it just this much...its always sad when any "vacation" is over, but it was such a depressing feeling (honestly, Idont know how to describe it) this time, to come back to america...
Well, it's that feeling exactly that gets people up and going on Aliya.

grin

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 1:20 pm
I'm very gratified that I am zoiche to live here in EY but I can understand your misgivings. Try to hold on those feelings in any case to help daven with even more kavana for the Moshiach to come already so we can all live together in true geula.

hila

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 2:06 pm
mummy-bh wrote:
(P.S. Hila, we paid £60 for all 10 of us!)

A bargain !!

BH

bashinda

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 2:45 pm
grin: AMEN, Kein yehi ratzon!

I have the same feeling. The longer it's been the harder it is. I get used to being a New York Jew and then I feel guilty for feeling more and more like a New York Jew. DH has never even been to EY even.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 6:28 pm
I know what you mean.
I recently moved to US from EY. I lived there from right after my wedding for 3 years. The move back was done majorly due to HUGE (really HUGE) parental pressure, and is a decision I regret. I feel like I belong there and not here!! But I always think, this longing is part of im eshkochech yerushlayim, and iyh hopefully one day I'll be zoche to move back!!!

anony. because there are people out there who know me, and I do not want them to know my reasons for moving back

neverbored

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 6:58 pm
I miss Eretz Yisroel too, and I have never been there! Though my heart is there! My husband thinks I went off my mind somehow, wanting to go so so badly when I personally have never been there.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 7:22 pm
[quote="hila"]"so, what are you waiting for? move already!" LOL LOL

Somehow we live here

Come ! $50 one way ticket ! Wink[/quote]

are u serious? shock

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Oct 16 2009, 9:13 am
Ah, but according to another thread, once you move there, you can't leave to go to European holidays or visit Disneyland!

(welcome to the Hotel California... Music )

now I'm ducking for cover!!!

hila

Post Fri, Oct 16 2009, 9:50 am
amother wrote:
hila wrote:
"so, what are you waiting for? move already!" LOL LOL

Somehow we live here

Come ! $50 one way ticket ! Wink[/

are u serious? shock

100% serious
Go see the nefesh benefesh website

Tamiri

Post Fri, Oct 16 2009, 10:00 am
Hila, you forgot to mention that it's for olim only.... LOL Like the Hotel California, you can check out in any time you want but you can never leave.

cindy324

Post Sat, Oct 17 2009, 11:14 pm
OP, I soooo understand what u mean!

I was there for the first time ever in May, and loved it so much. I could've written your post word for word (in fact I did write a very similar post right after I came back to NY)

Quote:
I love seeing all the street signs and everything in Hebrew.
everyone is JEWISH. frum or not, it bring a certain feeling of comfort just knowing that. despite all the bombs and the dangers because of our evil neighbors, I just feel safer, more comfortable there.
People are sincerely happy. money or no money, people have such pride and care about what they do and its just such a different feeling than the rat race of america.

So true, even though u hear all the crazy bus bombings,once ur there, it's as if u've never felt safer! So true about money or no money, the people are amazing.

Quote:

I miss walking through the streets of the old city and just literally feeling the kedusha.

We could not get enough of the Old City. We just literally got lost there one night, so quiet, every now and then u hear the bochurim learning in the small shuls and yeshivas. So beautiful!

Quote:
and I miss all the "fun" not so "spiritual" things too! I miss all the delicious restaurants

I hear ya!

You are sooo lucky though that u got to experience Israel at the most beautiful time of year there. I wish I could've gone for Succos, unfortunately it's way out of our budget.

nako2u

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 1:24 am
do you remember why we were taken out of mitzrayim?
to receive the Torah of course but that wasn't enough for Hashem or us,
we NEED (Hashem needs us) to bring the Torah to Eretz Yisrael.
it was never intended to be one or the other but together - that was our ultimate destination.
ki MITZION tayzay torah!
its true that its hard (to uproot) but really, who ever said life was supposed to be easy?
as yehudim we have our jobs to do, some times are easier than others, some mitzvot are easier than others but as believing yehudim we know we don't have the option to pick and choose.
never in our long galut history has the majority of yehudim had it so good- so easy- so prosperous.(there are those who say the generation of esther and mordechai was our first chance to return with riches but we got used to the easy life in persia - we lost that burning desire to be where we are supposed to be - and this is our chance to fix that wrong - this is the test our generation has.) we have been in galut so long we forgot what our real goal is
Hashem is counting on us
He is giving us another opportunity - grab it while you can. a jew was never punished for doing a mitzva with love.
all the best
cs

hila

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 1:50 am
Tamiri wrote:
Hila, you forgot to mention that it's for olim only.... LOL Like the Hotel California, you can check out in any time you want but you can never leave.

Minor detail Wink

( I did say a one-way ticket )
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics