Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Nut-free classrooms (threads merged)
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

chaylizi

Post Mon, Sep 01 2008, 3:00 pm
I'm due pretty close to the beginning of the school year. I'm planning on hot lunch the first couple of months. all I have to do is send snack. I was just curious. if I have to hear anymore about politics, I'm going to not vote this year in protest.

octopus

Post Mon, Sep 01 2008, 3:01 pm
The school I used to work in had a huge sign in the front vestibule. It read : This is a nut-free school. All the teachers used to joke, and say, "oh really? I have a few nuts in my class..."

yo'ma

Post Mon, Sep 01 2008, 3:06 pm
Whenever I sent snack with my son in the school he went to in NY, I never sent bamba because it was not allowed in his class because 1 child and the teacher was allergic. I don't think it was banned for the whole school. From what I hear from so many pple, it really should be. Maybe it is now because this was 2 years ago.

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Sep 01 2008, 3:06 pm
chaylizi wrote:
I'm due pretty close to the beginning of the school year. I'm planning on hot lunch the first couple of months. all I have to do is send snack. I was just curious. if I have to hear anymore about politics, I'm going to not vote this year in protest.

I don't get how this is political? Maybe I missed something? Is McCain or Obama anti- or pro- nut-free schools?

flowerpower

Post Mon, Sep 01 2008, 3:09 pm
There are schools here that are nut free. Even the school buses have signs on them saying "nut free". I think nuts are one of the most dangerous allergies. My kids get lunch in school so that makes it easier in many ways. Also theres a teacher that watches the allergie kids during meal time.

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Sep 01 2008, 3:14 pm
We don't serve nutty cookies is shul. There are allergic people. I think it's just smart. However, kids still bring bamba. Sad

it gets everywhere!

montrealmommy

Post Mon, Sep 01 2008, 3:15 pm
Chaylizi (and all other mommies who feel as she does) -

I can understand your frustration at the new situation. It is difficult when you have a child who is a picky eater. Also, as a mommy of highly multiply-allergic children, I appreciate and respect that you are understanding of the school's posiiton. B"H there are many many nut-free snacks available (not including fruits and veggies). there is also pea-butter which, truth be told, can fool even some die-hard PB fans! Pea butter is not a nut product, it is a legume product and should as such not be a problem.

However, to be completly blunt - a child who chooses not to eat a particular food vs. my child Ch"v"sh dying fraom eating a particular food (or in some cases being exposed) are two vastly different concepts, and although it may be quite challenging for the mommies of picky eaters, it is a life long fear and stress of allergic-children mommies. So please, if your school has ammended their policies to become a nut-free environment I have no doubt the had very good reason for it.

I am currently dealing with a school that is less than accomodating, in any way, and it is euqally challenging, esp. since I don't want my dc to eat plain bread every day for 2 snacks and a meal! There must be something else your dc can eat other then pb - if there isn't then, IMO they will have to learn!

chaylizi

Post Mon, Sep 01 2008, 3:20 pm
montrealmommy wrote:
Chaylizi (and all other mommies who feel as she does)

I didn't say I felt any way in particular about this issue. I'm just tired of rants about republicans or democrats, so I started another conversation. (Hope that answers your question Mimi) I really couldn't care less. I didn't send peanut butter last year when it was allowed, b/c I knew there was an allergic kid in my daughter's class.

HealthCoach

Post Mon, Sep 01 2008, 3:31 pm
I think in many cases the ban just makes it easier on the teachers. My daughter is allergic to nuts, no ban, and the teachers had to go crazy reading ingredients before giving her something every time there was a party. It would have been much easier to have the ban.

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Sep 01 2008, 3:37 pm
montrealmommy wrote:
Chaylizi (and all other mommies who feel as she does) -

I can understand your frustration at the new situation. It is difficult when you have a child who is a picky eater. Also, as a mommy of highly multiply-allergic children, I appreciate and respect that you are understanding of the school's posiiton. B"H there are many many nut-free snacks available (not including fruits and veggies). there is also pea-butter which, truth be told, can fool even some die-hard PB fans! Pea butter is not a nut product, it is a legume product and should as such not be a problem.

However, to be completly blunt - a child who chooses not to eat a particular food vs. my child Ch"v"sh dying fraom eating a particular food (or in some cases being exposed) are two vastly different concepts, and although it may be quite challenging for the mommies of picky eaters, it is a life long fear and stress of allergic-children mommies. So please, if your school has ammended their policies to become a nut-free environment I have no doubt the had very good reason for it.

I am currently dealing with a school that is less than accomodating, in any way, and it is euqally challenging, esp. since I don't want my dc to eat plain bread every day for 2 snacks and a meal! There must be something else your dc can eat other then pb - if there isn't then, IMO they will have to learn!
Aren't peanuts legumes?

montrealmommy

Post Mon, Sep 01 2008, 5:16 pm
Quote:
Aren't peanuts legumes?
yes - peanuts are a legume, however, most people who are allergic to peanuts do not have allergies to the other legumes incl. peas, lentils soy or beans. As such, many people who cannot eat peanuts can eat pea-butter and or at the least be exposed to it. Also, as a legume it poses no threat to those with tree-nut allergies. It's an alternative I have seen many people use with much success.

montrealmommy

Post Mon, Sep 01 2008, 5:18 pm
Quote:
I didn't say I felt any way in particular about this issue. I'm just tired of rants about republicans or democrats, so I started another conversation. (Hope that answers your question Mimi) I really couldn't care less. I didn't send peanut butter last year when it was allowed, b/c I knew there was an allergic kid in my daughter's class.
My error - I misread your op - or misunderstood as I have -ve understanding of US (or any) politics!

mumoo

Post Mon, Sep 01 2008, 6:15 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
ALMOND butter is a nut product! chaylizi, I know you understood this, but so many do not.

Right, I was one who didn't get it. Actually I knew almonds were nuts, but I just heard peanut ban. embarrassed

chaylizi

Post Mon, Sep 01 2008, 6:22 pm
montrealmommy wrote:
Quote:
My error - I misread your op - or misunderstood as I have -ve understanding of US (or any) politics!

I am also concerned about food allergies currently for my almost 18 month old. I couldn't get her into the allergist for testing until october though. I didn't want to go to another dr b/c he is a coworker of my father & also my older dd sees him already for her asthma. It seems lately that everything she eats causes a rash and/or diarrhea. We already ruled out lactose intolerance & we've done stool studies up the kazoo. They also ruled out anything autoimmune & celiac disease (b"h). My GI and my ped seem to think that she is mega allergic to at least one food, but more likely several. So I am holding my breath. Far be it from me to be intolerant to other children's problems.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 01 2008, 6:25 pm
I actually consider this just the way things are, kind of like a new world after Sept. 11th. My school does a demo on the epipen each year and all teachers practice this. There is a list, put out by the pta of acceptable foods, and there are many. The biggest issue is with imported kosher and cholov yisrael foods, because there is just no labelling, so we avoid them. Hershey kisses and twizzlers are OK here. Many more foods. Too bad your dc has to learn to eat other foods. At the end of the day it'll be good for the child. There is no choice when it is a life and death situation. Oh, also, one cannot be a bit allergic, just like you can't be a bit pregnant. Just because a child has not had a severe reaction does not mean it cannot happen the next time. I also think it is imperative to have the child wear a fannypack with an epipen AT ALL TIMES. Even very young children know how to use it. It can save lives. There is just nothing political about this issue. I really do feel that if even one child in a school has a nut allergy, then the whole school should be nut free.

chaylizi

Post Mon, Sep 01 2008, 6:30 pm
amother, why don't you go reread my posts. clearly you haven't read them well. my child has no problems with other food, I have no problems with the nut ban, it has nothing to do with politics & no one said anything about a little bit allergic. could you please read before you rant? I repeat- I started this conversation because I was tired of all the posts on this board about politics. now go read my last sentence, which is directed at all the bashers. it will do you good.

allgood

Post Mon, Sep 01 2008, 6:39 pm
By the way as far as I heard allergies are far more common nowadays than it ever was. That's why I think more schools have found it neccessary to take such a big step. Good luck with all of you who have to make changes to your childrens eating habits. Due to many allergies about the only thing my daughter eats on her bread right now is peanut butter so I know though I'll understand this and be all for it it will still be hard. I guess that's life...

roze22

Post Mon, Sep 01 2008, 9:45 pm
my school bans peanuts, but allows other nuts on the condition that they are marked clearly. it can be frustrating, but I understand where it comes from. if it saves me from having to use an epi pen on a student then I am completely on board.

Marion

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 1:21 am
As both an allergic parent (who was never accomodated as a child) and a parent of an allergic child:

A large part of the problem with some of the allergies is that they increase in severity with each exposure. When I was a kid I got a headache from the smell of peanuts, and if I actually ate one I got hives or threw up (sorry about the TMI). When I bit into a cookie 2 weeks before Pesach I had such a severe reaction that I spent 45 minutes almost unable to breathe, 2 hours in emergency being treated with IV antihistamines and brochidilators, and was unable to nurse for 48 hours (I had an exclusively nursed 6 month old at the time) because the meds in my bloodstream (and milk) were too strong for an infant.

Because of my allergies we had both kids tested very early. DS#1 has my peanut allergy, and we have not knowingly exposed him to them. His daycare has been amazing about banning Bamba and nutella (they provide 3 meals a day...breakfast, lunch, and "mincha"). The moms on the playground know he can't have it. However, he is still unfortunately exposed as the other kids run around and it gets transferred to the playground equipment. Luckily he is too busy playing to put his hands into his mouth, and I wipe him down before we leave the park. DS#2 has not tested allergic to anything, but we still will not allow him peanuts/Bamba because of the contamination issue. We also do not use any other nuts, for the same reason.

The allergen ban is the easiest solution for most schools. It resolves them of responsibility (can't you just see the lawsuits otherwise?). It takes a huge pressure off the staff to check everything (do you know how many different ways "peanut" can not be "peanut" and still be present in something?), and it allows all the kids to eat the same food at school events. For very young children, who cannot yet identify their allergens, it allows them to be part of the social structure of their schools/daycares/communities.

Raisin

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 5:59 am
is there a point in a school have a ban on foods that no children are allergic to? eg banning all nuts when it is only tree nuts that are a problem.
Page 6 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics