Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Found odd as a child but now....
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 2:07 pm
ectomorph wrote:
a bit off topic, I guess different rabbonim do different things. The ones we have gone to always return it to me (I then throw it out because I have never managed to return it to perfect whiteness after a stain, and I don't want it to affect a future shayla).

When I was a kid I was convinced that there was magic. I've since redefined that to be a spiritual world.

Some don't return it because they don't want you going around rav shopping till you get the psak that you want.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 2:08 pm
about drinking and driving
I heard a story that we once had "workers" in the house and my mother said to them "would you like a drink"? she meant water. we never had alcohol so didn't have that association but they were so horrified and said they don't "drink on the job" lol!

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 2:12 pm
zaq wrote:
He may keep them around if he teaches halacha lemaaseh. Those who will be answering shailas need to see examples of the real thing. They don’t go to a blood bank and ask for a couple of vials so they can make a sort of Pantytone book of colors.

Besides, some people might want their garments back.

My kallah teacher told me that when her husband was working on smicha he brought home a binder full of bedikah clothes to study. I guess whatever Rav saved them and compiled the good examples. I laugh cuz my husband asks me to put mine in an envelope to take but soon he has to learn how to paskin.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 2:47 pm
ectomorph wrote:
(I then throw it out because I have never managed to return it to perfect whiteness after a stain, and I don't want it to affect a future shayla)

I fold those differently so as not to mix them up with my good ones and use them for when I'm anyhow niddah

madys

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 3:12 pm
My son was just starting to learn to read and his bus passed a Chinese restaurant every day. One day he says to me that there's a cannibal restaurant on that street. I asked him what in the world he's talking about and he says, yeah, it's called Human Delight. I corrected him saying it's not called that, it's HuNan Delight!! We were cracking up!!

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 3:27 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
I fold those differently so as not to mix them up with my good ones and use them for when I'm anyhow niddah

I used to do that but now my husband folds the laundry and he doesn't notice the difference. I'd rather he keep folding the laundry and toss the dirty ones.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 3:36 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
about drinking and driving
I heard a story that we once had "workers" in the house and my mother said to them "would you like a drink"? she meant water. we never had alcohol so didn't have that association but they were so horrified and said they don't "drink on the job" lol!

My daughter was once chosen to participate in a magic show. The magician kept handing her something in a way that made her drop it. He looked at her and asked jokingly "Have you been drinking?" And of course she innocently answered "yes!"

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 3:42 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
I wouldn't want people seeing an anonymous, faceless nude photo of me either, even though we all have bodies.

But if it was just an unrecognizable picture of one body part, who cares?

It's funny, I'm extremely shy, private and also squeamish, but I have trouble seeing the problem with the rav using my underwear for teaching, if I don't want it back (again, so long as it's not labeled!)

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 4:44 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
Some don't return it because they don't want you going around rav shopping till you get the psak that you want.

That's unreal. People are responsible for their own bein adam lamakom.

momsrus

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 4:48 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
I wouldn't want people seeing an anonymous, faceless nude photo of me either, even though we all have bodies.

You have an interesting attachment to your underwear.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 5:09 pm
momsrus wrote:
You have an interesting attachment to your underwear.

No, it's not that specifically. Anything I consider private is something that I would prefer remain private even without my name attached.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 5:36 pm
ra_mom wrote:
That's unreal. People are responsible for their own bein adam lamakom.

It does sound strange to me. I've always had mine returned. I've only consulted w 3 different ones... In different cities, not psak shopping. But they never kept underwear.

cbs880

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 6:27 pm
When I was a kid I always thought in order to read script ( cursive) letters, you need glasses. Whenever I looked at the paper, I couldn't make out what it said. But my mother would put on her glasses and read it to me..

tf

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 10:52 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
That’s really weird that he saved them all in a bag. What for? He should have dumped them as soon as he gave the psak

It may have been from that day/night and had to...
Ask another opinion?
Wait for sunlight?
Return to owner?
Who knows what else?

gamanit

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 11:45 pm
As a kid I was totally confused as to why anyone would put emergency exits on the roof of the bus. I used to imagine kids climbing up on the seat backs to reach it. I only realized as an adult that they're intended for in case the bus rolls over.

cbsp

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 11:53 pm
ectomorph wrote:

When I was a kid I was convinced that there was magic. I've since redefined that to be a spiritual world.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -- Arthur C. Clarke

Einikel

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 12:06 am
Wow never realized how complicated underwear shailos can get til I read this thread

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 12:07 am
Einikel wrote:
Wow never realized how complicated underwear shailos can get til I read this thread

lol

It's literally like walking around nude with a mask on

singleagain

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 6:26 am
I used to think live action movies actually happened and luckily someone was just there with a camera filming the whole thing.

cuties' mom

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 7:40 am
The Tuscan milk containers used to have written in large letters on one side: Say no to drugs. I always thought that they were saying that we shouldn't buy milk in drug stores (they weren't called pharmacies back then), and I thought it was wrong of them to try to tell us where we can buy milk.
Page 7 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics