Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
S/o stuff you misunderstood as a little kid
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

#BestBubby

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 4:43 pm
my mama wrote:
You do know that these tags only need to be left on in the store and the second after you buy them they can be removed?

It's a huge pet peeve of mine when I see people keeping them for years and years. It's actually attached in a way that makes for a simple and clean tear

I wouldn't risk it.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 4:46 pm
SuperWify wrote:
I also used to think that when I slept I had a completely different life which I would immediately forget about when I awoke. I had a very active imagination Smile

Me too!

In the completely different life I was a French girl.

613mitzvahgirl

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 5:04 pm
When my parents would put on music in the house they’d use a tape recorder. I thought the ppl singing lived in there. I always wondered how they fit and look in the volume holes thinking they got shmooshed in. Then one of my older sisters was one time babysitting us little ones and told us if we don’t behave that Tatty and Mommy will put us in there, and we’d have to sing with them.

amother
Pear

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 5:51 pm
613mitzvahgirl wrote:
When my parents would put on music in the house they’d use a tape recorder. I thought the ppl singing lived in there. I always wondered how they fit and look in the volume holes thinking they got shmooshed in. Then one of my older sisters was one time babysitting us little ones and told us if we don’t behave that Tatty and Mommy will put us in there, and we’d have to sing with them.

😂

amother
Aster

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 6:15 pm
I thought most of the world was jewish and only a few non jews. I was pretty shocked when I found out we were a tiny number compared to the non jews.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 6:52 pm
I used to read a ton as a kid. I came accross the expression "she fell into a deep sleep as soon as her head hit the pillow" quite often, and was intrigued by it. I wondered why it never happened to me!
One day, we were coming home from somewhere late at night, and as soon as I walked into the house, (parents were behind me taking out the babies), I laid down on the couch and pretended to be asleep. My parents were calling my name, and after a few minutes I "woke up" and said "oh wow, I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow"!
Needless to say, my parents had a great laugh!!!

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 6:59 pm
I used to think adults don't cry. Ever.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 7:22 pm
theoneandonly wrote:
I had such a vivid image in my head of what Hashem looked like: He had a green cloak and matching green pointy hat, and red curly hair. Where that came from I have no idea What

And I imagined HaShem looking like Max in his wolf suit from the storybook "Where the Wild Things are" by Maurice Sendak.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 7:29 pm
amother Opal wrote:
Just the other week we were discussing this word and DD said its mi-shap like when something is all mished up. She was quite astounded to learn the correct pronunciation.

The first time I heard the expression 'she pinned him against the wall' I imagined a literal drawing pin being pierced through someone's forehead into the wall. I thought either it was a really long pin or the forehead was somehow flattened but in any case I was very disturbed. I don't know why I never asked for an explanation but I believed that for a long time.

Also we always learned that crumbs are chometz. For years I was always terrified of making matza crumbs on pesach and I really couldn't understand how everyone else was so relaxed about the matza crumbs all over the table

Lol. I used to think exactly the same about Matzah crumbs and even shared that on a previous thread LOL

#BestBubby

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 7:42 pm
I am a SEIT in preschools and I ask little kids what chometz is and they always say "crumbs" (brekalech).

So a slice of bread is not chometz but Matza crumbs are chometz.

The morahs need to do a better job.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 8:03 pm
peace2 wrote:
Here’s an embarrassing one: I used to imagine Hashem looked like the face on the cover of the taboo box- like it was His face and He looked down at us from the sky like that

When I was very young I thought Hashem looked like Letterman from The Adventures of Letterman on The Electric Company. I have no idea why. But I decided Hashem flew around wearing a helmet looking just like that cartoon. So embarrassing, lol!

singleagain

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 8:07 pm
SuperWify wrote:
I used to think there was no color in the olden days because all the pictures were black and white and that color was only invented when my grandparents were little. Lucky them!

I also thought people “in the olden days” were all depressed and miserable that they lived in such old times because they never smiled in the pictures.

amother
Oldlace

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 8:12 pm
When I was young I thought HaShem looked like something on the cover of a puzzle box I had. (I don’t know what to call it. It wasn’t a person or an animal, but I have a vague picture of it in my mind). It was a my little pony puzzle, (the old kind) but it wasn’t a pony.

amother
Hunter

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 9:15 pm
Every time I saw a sky writer, I thought Hashem was writing in the sky.

bsy

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 9:48 pm
When I was little we had a lot of books. On the back they say us and can. For the United States and Canadian prices. But there were no periods for some books between the u and S. So I thought the store charges the US price but if you want you CAN pay more. I never knew who would pay more for the same book

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 9:54 pm
When I was 10 I thought all redheads are yidden I think I misunderstood something my teacher said about Dovid Hamelech being the first redhead and all the red genes come from him
Every time I saw a non-jewish redhead I was like wow shes a yid!

bethab

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 9:55 pm
I am loving this thread! Not sure why I’m getting such enjoyment from it… I think it’s just seeing the way kids brains work

amother
Hyacinth

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 10:11 pm
When I was very young, I assume that Judaism was an elaborate act and that no one really believed in Hashem, just pretended to. I thought my parents would get upset and deny it if I asked, so I never did.
I once heard in a speech that very young kids never have doubts/question emuna, they just fully believe. I was like, um, hi.

Tao

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 10:12 pm
amother Mintcream wrote:
My 7 yr old just asked me if the world was colored when I was a kid in the olden days lol! I’m 39 btw

Don't feel bad. My 4yo wanted to know if I still remember being in Mitzrayim and what the makkos were like. And I'm in my 20's LOL

amother
Burntblack

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 11:29 pm
amother Teal wrote:
Me too!

In the completely different life I was a French girl.

I was friends with the Berenstain Bears.
Page 7 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics