Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Your weird/made-up words or phrases
Previous  1  2  3  Next

hadasa

Post Sat, Dec 04 2010, 5:30 pm
Some more of ours - blended vegetable soup is called bzhhhhh soup in imitation of the sound the stick blender makes.

A new one in our family is "sakalmut" which refers to taking a little bit of each kind of cake or other desserts to see what they taste like. It's what came out when I said "sakranut" (curiosity) with a full mouth.

saw50st8

Post Sat, Dec 04 2010, 9:25 pm
hadasa wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:
hadasa wrote:
Mutchen is Yiddish

What does it mean?
The closest translation is probably "torment".

Hmm...I wonder if mutcher is german then. Because that sort of makes sense. Off to google.

hadasa

Post Sat, Dec 04 2010, 10:16 pm
It's not of German origin, it's Russian "mutchit". In Yiddish one would say "mutche nisht dein bruder". Your mother may have tacked on the 'r' herself, or maybe you did?

yo'ma

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 8:18 pm
We have a room, we call the cops room, or at least used to. It was the computer, play, and sewing room. Now it's my dd's bed, computer, and sewing room. We call it dd's room Wink .

shanie5

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 8:56 pm
I use mutcher all the time-I think I got it from my parents-who are not yiddish speakers. No idea where they got it from.

Boingies-spiral shaped pasta

baschabad

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 9:12 pm
A fart is a "blumpy", probably because of the sound it makes.
We also tack on the "y" suffix to every child related word. Hence: I change diapers using wipies, feed my kids applesaucey, and offer them a drinky. An undershirt is also a 'vesty', from the British word "vest" with the "y" tacked.

We also have two identical bookshelves standing next to each other with cabinet doors covering the bottom shelves. Whenever we're looking for something and ask where it's stored, it's too complicated to explain, "in the bottom of the bookshelf on the right", so we just say "in the living room in the bottom right."

leomom

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 9:19 pm
yo'ma wrote:
This one we don't do on a daily basis because we don't use the word on a daily basis, but we call cooperation, shirley

I grew up loving that - and my sisters and I also call cooperation Shirley to this day. Very Happy

We also call each other Shirley. (Often in the context of, "Surely, Shirley.") We also just randomly say, "Let's call it Shirley" whenever the situation seems to call for it.

eschaya

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 9:30 pm
A "nakedy" is an naked child; when one of the younger ones is getting undressed, we'll yell that a nakedy has escaped from the zoo and we need to catch it. Kid runs around the house (yes, naked) and we need to catch him to dump him in the zoo (ie: bath or PJs). Makes bedtime/bathtime lots of fun, but it adds a few minutes.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 9:38 pm
when my son was 4 or so, I snapped off the tv after blues clues finished playing and he said ' iw anna watch the overies!'

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 9:51 pm
my father refers to himself as o.p. which stands for old poop
my son calls me mother elf

rejoicify (rejoice) ; proudliest (proudest) ; defin-ish (definite) ; outuendo (the opposite of innuendo) ; confusifying (confusing) ; linguification (talking) ; de-greenify (to make something lose its green colour) ; disgusticified (disgusting) ; disturberance (disturbance) ; scandalacious (scandalous) ; hideodious (hideous) ; graditution (gratitude) ; devastrated (devastated) ; moodified (modified) ; braverism (bravery) ; surreptitially (surrepticiously) ; discoverates (discovers) ; disrespectation (disrespect) ; festivating (having a festival)

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 9:51 pm
whoops, those words below are from wicked, the musical. they are perfect!

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 10:15 pm
oh yeah, and a turkey is a murphy! loving this thread!

shanie5

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 10:21 pm
When my eldest was little he came to me and with his shirt hanging out and said "I'm all tucked out". So now, if s/o needs to tuck their shirt in, I tell them "You are all tucked out"

Thanx to same ds, we also mawn the low. (mow the lawn)

baschabad

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 10:43 pm
Instead of something being "not tznius", my dd calls it "too tznius."

Metukah

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 5:04 pm
hadasa wrote:
Some more of ours - blended vegetable soup is called bzhhhhh soup in imitation of the sound the stick blender makes.

I was just gonna write that

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 5:16 pm
Anyone else know the word "faknuchkid"? My mother always used it to mean all twisted or messed up. I don't know where it came from.

peanut37

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 5:22 pm
DD just asked for Tackled Peanuts ... she meant Pistachios (sounds like Tackle and is a nut)

artikidove

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 5:43 pm
wow, we have soooooo many:
mushkie - means to crush something. like if you sit on a hat you'll mushki it (always awkward when my friend mushki was around); alternative - smushkie
dingiss (g as in goat) - idiot
knifiss - pocket knife
bless you - my father says this to get us to come get brachos my the shabbos table
cornbread - you say this whenever someone says "thingie"
grand and savel - sand and gravel
birtday - instead of birthday
boraring - picking at your food
mutchering - we use this as constantly touching something
the berk - a water pitcher (they have a berkey water filter...)
avigayil cookies - delicious choc/peanut butter cookie recipe from a friend of a friend who has a granddaughter allergic to eggs. there are no eggs in the recipe =] most of our recipes are referred to as the person who gave us the recipe (joyce's dressing/rlk cole slaw/chani soup...)
off off lock lock - making sure everything in the house is as it should be before leaving. mom is doing an off off lock lock. (lights off/sink off/stove off/doors locked/windows locked...) I won't tell you how long it took to leave the house as a child. my mother still goes around and checks each window latch/stove knob/light switch...ocd much? we even have a song we sing while she does it. it's in 3 part harmony!
bebabubafet - buffet
d-d-d-doig - hot dog (this and the above are from my brother's speech impediment)
I'm green - a kid who needs to be wiped
peaching - tattling
humping - carrying (I know it sounds terrible and I don't know where it came from but my dad says it)
doodie length - from duty length skirts
doo doo - avoid the dog poop in the yard
sheitel monger - sheitel macher
going out and about - shopping

my husband says tinkle for pee - it drives me CRAZY! I can't stand it when kids say things like that let alone adults. my sis in law's kids (ages 4, 4 and 2) actually say bowel movement and urinate. it's pretty funny. as an aside there's a hilarious comedian (joel chasnoff) who has a routine on made up words. his theory - everyone makes up words for their grandparents (nana, pappy, bobby, bubby, pop, zaidy, gramps...) and everyone makes up words for bathroom functions (tinkle, fluff, poopie, wee wee...). he is afraid that a kid will go to play at a friend's house where their word for grandma/grandpa is the same as his bathroom words...

leomom

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 10:46 pm
shanie5 wrote:

Thanx to same ds, we also mawn the low. (mow the lawn)

And around here, we low the mawn.

Happy 2B

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 10:56 pm
this thread really gave me a good laugh so thanx O.P.

I also have had so many they are hard to think of when you want to so I will probably have to revisit this thread and add them when I think of them...
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics