Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Shabbos and stuck home with the kids
Previous  1  2

Raisin

Post Sun, Jan 09 2011, 4:25 pm
try and invite guests over, adult company helps. Maybe you can invite a friend over (whose kids can walk) shabbos morning.

have dh babysit at some point so you can nap or get out for a walk to visit friends or go to a shuir.

ckk

Post Sun, Jan 09 2011, 8:26 pm
Lol, I can really identify with the anxiety as shabbos approaches. One toy that my dd really enjoys is the soft aleph bet puzzel with the aleph bet peices that go inside. first we set it out like a mat, then match in all the peices, then organise it according to colour, then we build cubes with it etc etc. Its great because she gets really involved in it and I can have a magazine on the side and simultaniously "play" with her!

obagys

Post Sun, Jan 09 2011, 8:45 pm
I had 3 kids back to back to back, so that I had a 2 year old, 1 year old and an infant. We have an eruv but I didn't even attempt going out for a while with all of them to handle. I found that lots and lots of books and reading always helped. Even if you are nursing, your toddler can cozy up to you while you read a book (or two or fifteen). Obviously that won't pass the day away, but it did kill a lot of time...even if I went crazy from reading a certain favorite book 43 times. Hopefully in the afternoon your husband can "bond" with your children while you get some time to just take a walk, nap or read.

I know it's not easy now but it does get better!

Frum

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 2:02 am
Thanks everyone for their words of chizuk! Especially alwaysgrateful, you really gave me a chizuk with what you wrote. I also like the idea of the soft alef beis puzzle, my oldest is already very interested in the alef beis so I can really see that work.

About guests, it is interesting tovsee conflicting opinions among the posters. Personally, right now I would find it a bit overwhelming to have guests (but ok, it's only two weeks post partum) but I do really feel a need to have people over and 'break' the day somewhat. So I guess it makes sense to invite people again as soon as I am up to it.

Right now, toddler is sick so that presents a whole different challenge in addition to taking care of the baby... (not to mention DH who has a cold and shows all the time how miserable he feels while I am still feeling my stitches and have a cold too but have to go on, guess that is the lot of a mommy...).

lilmom

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 12:44 pm
going through the same thing bH! the winters are waaay easier than the summer afternoons. what about having a friend come over for you? for YOUR sanity? and maybe try pushing off older ones nap so takes up more of the afternoon....

ckk

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 3:44 pm
Corrrection: im the one who suggeested the aleph beis puzzel as a great time killer. Well I just found out that its better not to play with puzzels on shabbos because is its like building. Whatever.

Frum

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 3:53 pm
Ckk - thanks for telling. Is it boneh even if you take it apart again in shabbos?

ckk

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 8:14 pm
I think its still an issue but Im not sure. It might be worth asking a rav.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics