Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Dear parents, you are being lied to.
Previous  1  2

freidasima

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 3:55 am
That's also the argument that is used by scientists who are wary of the HPV vaccine. There are over 100 strains of HPV, most innocuous causing simple warts and not the dangerous kind. The vaccine targets the 4 strains that have been implicated in cervical malignancies. However there is a question of whether when those strains are eradicated, some of the other strains will just take over what they had done until now, causing the same problem, just with new strains. It's been known to happen in other diseases.

And yes, flu can be deadly to people with asthma etc.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 11:31 am
freidasima wrote:
That's also the argument that is used by scientists who are wary of the HPV vaccine. There are over 100 strains of HPV, most innocuous causing simple warts and not the dangerous kind. The vaccine targets the 4 strains that have been implicated in cervical malignancies. However there is a question of whether when those strains are eradicated, some of the other strains will just take over what they had done until now, causing the same problem, just with new strains. It's been known to happen in other diseases.

And yes, flu can be deadly to people with asthma etc.

Re: hpv. If what you say happens they can always rework the vaccine, but the fact is that there are 100s of strains of hpv and most cause no harm at this time. A ny ob told me that 90% of s-xually active ppl in their 20s will contract it. So why not protect against the virulent strains that can cause warts or worse cancer?

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 11:57 am
I posted something in this thread yesterday, however it is missing!

To the amother who mentioned mutation.

I do not understand the science of mutation, but I find it highly unlikely that you do either, so offering my insight and opinion is appropriate. Maybe the amother in vaccine development could fix it up.

I believe that even with simple mutation, the basic vaccine should be acceptable, as it encouraged the body to respond to similar like diseases. For example, I hope that you are aware that the Smallpox vaccine does not actually contain the virus that causes smallpox (variola), but a similar virus called vaccinia. The vaccinia is similar enough to the smallpox virus that it encourages an immune response. It is very successful as we all are aware of because there is no smallpox today!

Many of the new vaccines that scientists are currently working on work in similar ways. They are trying to develop an all encompassing flu vaccine that would be similar enough to the basic strains of flu that it would encourage the body to respond to all flus. There are great advances being made in vaccines that would encourage the body to not allow the growth of tumors in the lungs and other parts of the body. Those vaccines essentially would teach the body a category to attack/fight against by somehow encouraging an immune response. It's way to difficult and advanced for someone without proper background, which includes myself.

Furthermore, viruses possess the ability to mutate without vaccines, and the best way to protect against mutation would be to fully eliminate the virus, as is the case with Smallpox through stringent vaccination.

To the poster who said that putting Chicken Pox and the Flu together with Polio makes someone lose her credibility. A statement like that makes you loose your credibility. Yes, when we think about diseases like Measles and Polio we become more alarmed because the physical implications of the viruses.

Up to about 72% of susceptible persons infected with polio have no symptoms. However, infected persons without symptoms can still spread the virus and cause others to develop polio. About 24% of infected susceptible persons have minor symptoms such as fever, sore throat, upset stomach, or flu-like symptoms and have no paralysis or other serious symptoms. About 1-5% develop aseptic meningitis with stiffness of the back, back, or legs, and in some persons increased or abnormal sensations a few days after the minor illness resolves. These symptoms typically last from two to ten days, followed by complete recovery. Less than 1% of polio cases result in paralysis of the limbs (usually the legs). Of those cases resulting in paralysis, 5-10% of the patients die when the respiratory muscles are paralyzed. The risk of paralysis increases with age.

Polio, as we all know, is a serious illness, but most people infected will not even have symptoms and will be okay. Does that make it any less serious? No. Most people who get the flu will have symptoms and will recover as well, but there are many people who die each year from influenza. Unfortunately since people currently live with the influenza and chicken pox, they tend to dismiss the serious complications because they have only experienced what is not serious BH. Chicken Pox can be very serious as well. I remember my childhood pediatrician had pictures of children with chicken pox in their eyes, a type of chicken pox that causes bleeding underneath the skin, as well as many other complications. There are previously healthy children and adults who could be seriously harmed by the chicken pox and/or influenza. What about your 90 year old grandmother who your kids visit? Do you think the influenza is dangerous for her?

Your attitude would be comparable to a person who said in 1910 that, "Most of her children all had Polio. Only one of them got a sore throat. Ok, so it's serious a small percentage of the time and even a smaller percentage of the time fatal. What's the big deal. Don't compare it to measles which has a higher mortality rate or to smallpox which is much worse most of the time." I hope you understand how flawed your reasoning is.

All vaccine preventable illnesses are serious. They all have the potential to cause serious complications and even death ch'v. Hashem should keep all of Klal Yisroel healthy, but please do not take any of these diseases lightly!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 1:00 pm
5*Mom wrote:
There is a delicate balance that can be and often is upset in ways that cannot always be anticipated. It's food for thought.
(Blah on no double quoting Sad )

I don't have the time to check it up now, but I think I also heard of the notion that the Hib vaccine, which worked very well against that form of meningitis, led to an increase in pneumococcal strains because it had been kept in check so to speak by the Hib strain. (Before anyone manipulates my post and thinks I don't think meningitis is a dangerous infection, let me make it clear that is not what I am saying.)

If that is true, it's just another example of repercussions not anticipated.

5*Mom

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 3:03 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
I do not understand the science of mutation, but I find it highly unlikely that you do either, so offering my insight and opinion is appropriate. Maybe the amother in vaccine development could fix it up.

I believe that even with simple mutation, the basic vaccine should be acceptable, as it encouraged the body to respond to similar like diseases.

Maybe in some cases yes, but in many cases already recognized by the science, no. Some of the diseases currently included in the vaccination schedule have multiple strains, not all of which are covered by the respective vaccines. As more strains are identified, vaccinologists must keep up their r & d to keep pace with changes and developments in diseases. It's a constantly evolving science.

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 5:18 pm
5*Mom wrote:
Maybe in some cases yes, but in many cases already recognized by the science, no. Some of the diseases currently included in the vaccination schedule have multiple strains, not all of which are covered by the respective vaccines. As more strains are identified, vaccinologists must keep up their r & d to keep pace with changes and developments in diseases. It's a constantly evolving science.

That is certainly true. I should have point that in to my response. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics