Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Need a good business idea
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 11:16 am
amother wrote:
If you're in Lkwd, just open a bus company. We can sure use more of those! Definitely will have business...

Not true! The L line runs empty busses over and over throughout the day. Soon enough they will stop service when the Township realizes they are not profitable. Seems like lkwd mentality is not to take busses, very few ppl take advantage of the service.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 11:20 am
amother wrote:
There are plenty of milchig cafes in Lakewood; why would we want to travel out of Lakewood?
A staffing agency sounds like a good idea.
Also: open a kosher cafe or stand in freehold mall!!!!

And I think a sushi store (only sushi) like sushi Tokyo in five towns- with good prices and lots of healthy + regular options- would do very well. I know from inside sources that some restaurants in Lakewood claim their biggest money maker is the sushi- it's inexpensive to make and people like it.
When I moved to Lakewood I couldn't (and still can't) find decent sushi, and forget about well priced sushi!
Most stores have either gross or ordinary (not delicious) sushi, and every store is over priced.

I think the idea of a fast food in the freehold mall is great! Every time I'm there I say someone should open one

watergirl

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 11:25 am
amother wrote:
I think the idea of a fast food in the freehold mall is great! Every time I'm there I say someone should open one

Most malls have regulations that stores, restaurants, kiosks, etc. have to be open seven days a week and you can't close on Jewish holidays. There is a kosher restaurant in the mall in Baltimore. I would find out how they get around this if it's an issue.

Maybe

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 11:40 am
amother wrote:
Thank you to everyone for your input. We are looking to make money first & foremost because we are struggling very bad financially and we have no help from either of our parents. We were thinking of maybe opening a nice milchig cafe about 5-10 minutes out of Lakewood or maybe a staffing agency.

Food is always in, staffing fluctuates according do political climate

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 11:42 am
amother wrote:
Not true! The L line runs empty busses over and over throughout the day. Soon enough they will stop service when the Township realizes they are not profitable. Seems like lkwd mentality is not to take busses, very few ppl take advantage of the service.

I thought she meant school buses...

cnc

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 11:44 am
Maybe wrote:
Food is always in, staffing fluctuates according do political climate

I disagree. Check out the current restaurant situation in Miami.Eating out is a luxury. When the economy goes down, people don't eat out as much.

Maybe

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 11:47 am
watergirl wrote:
Most malls have regulations that stores, restaurants, kiosks, etc. have to be open seven days a week and you can't close on Jewish holidays. There is a kosher restaurant in the mall in Baltimore. I would find out how they get around this if it's an issue.

1.Maybe you can explain to management, that restaurant will be empty anyway on Shabbos

2. Legal rights protecting a shomer shabbos may vary from state to state.

3. AYLOR about non jewish partner

Simple1

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 11:57 am
I read that food establishments have a high failure rate. One of the reasons is that the inventory varies and becomes complicated to account for.

cm

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 12:02 pm
Please learn something about the food business before jumping in. Lots of capital required up front and a high failure rate raise red flags for someone in your situation. Not saying you can't do it - but go in with your eyes open.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 12:27 pm
Squishy wrote:
Flink in Monsey does this. They have a messenger service and will toibel. I have a friend, a party planner, who uses them constantly for this.

Flink will do anything for you. Maybe OP can open such a business. A messenger service. They will pick up dry cleaning, drop off a homemade lunch at a friend's house, pick up your passport, etc. They essentially run your errands for you.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 12:30 pm
A business idea I've considered a while already but no idea if can be profitable. Run bus lines to local prisons. Once a week, coordinate with their visiting hours.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 12:37 pm
Lakewood can use a really good quality cleaners.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 12:42 pm
Food business is very tricky .... If you have no experience in this area I wouldn't recommend going in blind....In order to be successful prices have to be decent .... Food has to be amazing ..... And service has to be top rate ..... And it still needs to be lucrative ..... You definitely have to know what you are doing and if you can't afford to take risks this is probably not the field for you

debsey

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:15 pm
Figure out a problem a lot of people have and how to solve it (for a fee) that's a business.

Do people in Lakewood have a problem finding a milchig cafe? Nope. So it's not likely to be a great business, unless you have something - unique recipes, amazing chef, real experience, some gimmick - that will make them come and make them stay.

Bussing (school bussing) is a problem in lakewood, but I don't know if it's monetizable for a small vendor.

I consistently have a problem finding good, English speaking, reliable, legal cleaning help. I'd pay a lot for an agency that can handle that. But it's a business that has lots of regulations - you'd have to figure out how to navigate that.

Two booming demographics in Lakewood - young children and the elderly. Think of what service you could provide this population. There's also a larger and larger crowd of young, upwardly mobile couples who have two salaries - that means they have more money than time. Is there a service you can provide that will take one to furnish the other? (For example, I send my daughter to Sunday clubs, and I had to choose one that provided transportation, because I work Sundays. Money translated to time, for me.)

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:30 pm
Maybe wrote:
1.Maybe you can explain to management, that restaurant will be empty anyway on Shabbos

2. Legal rights protecting a shomer shabbos may vary from state to state.

3. AYLOR about non jewish partner

Isn't that the point? Mall owners don't want empty stores, particularly not on what is probably their busiest day of the week.

In any case, its unlikely that a mall food kiosk would be profitable unless it was able to attract non-kosher consumers, who shop on Saturday.

cnc

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:53 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Isn't that the point? Mall owners don't want empty stores, particularly not on what is probably their busiest day of the week.

In any case, its unlikely that a mall food kiosk would be profitable unless it was able to attract non-kosher consumers, who shop on Saturday.

This. Also I don't see how a non Jewish partner can work for a food business. We're talking about bishul akum, utensils that were used on shabbos so are most likely considered trief and a hashgacha which will be impossible to get for a store that's open on Shabbos.

slushiemom

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 2:03 pm
OP, can you PM me? My husband was in this exact situation 8 years ago. We have a lot of advice we can share in a BTDT way, as well as a couple of opportunities to explore.

smile12345

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 2:49 pm
Judging from the amount of recent threads on the topic, sounds like you would strike it rich by inventing a linen-changing robot.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 2:52 pm
I run a business in Lakewood and I dont know if staffing agencies are really needed. I know of 3 off the top of my head that I regularly use, and a 4th keeps bugging me to hire.
There are a ton of legalities involved in staffing agencies, as well as a huge sum of money (to pay the employees while you wait for the businesses to pay up) which is why one of the newer ones recently opened is part of a franchise.
It sounds like you are inexperienced in business (as I was 8 years ago)
You need to make sure you have the willpower, energy, and dedication to make this thing work whatever it will be.
And never invest more than you are willing to lose.

If you are looking to make money an run your own business you will need to put in hours and hours of your time. Work literally 24/6 at times, have the pressure of coming up with money to pay your employees. It can be really stressful and hard at times. The plus side is that you can actually make sums of money that you would be unable to make as a paid employee.
Are you ready for that?

debsey

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 3:30 pm
amother wrote:
I run a business in Lakewood and I dont know if staffing agencies are really needed. I know of 3 off the top of my head that I regularly use, and a 4th keeps bugging me to hire.
There are a ton of legalities involved in staffing agencies, as well as a huge sum of money (to pay the employees while you wait for the businesses to pay up) which is why one of the newer ones recently opened is part of a franchise.
It sounds like you are inexperienced in business (as I was 8 years ago)
You need to make sure you have the willpower, energy, and dedication to make this thing work whatever it will be.
And never invest more than you are willing to lose.

If you are looking to make money an run your own business you will need to put in hours and hours of your time. Work literally 24/6 at times, have the pressure of coming up with money to pay your employees. It can be really stressful and hard at times. The plus side is that you can actually make sums of money that you would be unable to make as a paid employee.
Are you ready for that?

I agree about staffing agencies. I feel like we are oversupplied and I'm starting to get annoyed by all the solicitations coming in from the new ones opening up. It's great when I can hire temps and when I need a new secretary - but I have a plethora of options. So far the newest one (the one that's part of a franchise) is my go-to place because she's really organized and great with things like tricky payroll problems.

That's different from a housekeeper agency - most of the staffing places don't handle domestic staff. I promise you, if you start a housekeeper agency, I will be your first customer!

And I agree - being in business is a HUGE headache. You have people relying on you for parnassah. You know the saying - when you work for yourself, you have a relentless boss AND a reluctant worker. I happen to love my work, which helps a lot, but it's still pretty major to juggle.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics