Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Names reflecting Eretz Israel
Previous  1  2  3  Next

gryp

Post Mon, Oct 22 2007, 12:35 pm
I know people who name after Kibbutzim. I found that out after I visited a Kibbutz my old neighbor was named for. Smile

amother

Post Mon, Oct 22 2007, 12:44 pm
I have a relative named Tzofia Geula (anticipating the geula)

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 22 2007, 2:49 pm
names of kings and queens of Israel? Shlomzion?

Chanuka related: some communities use Chanuka for men lol

cassandra

Post Mon, Oct 22 2007, 3:42 pm
nili, ariel (yerushalayim)

shoshb

Post Mon, Oct 22 2007, 6:33 pm
Shulamith. I believe the verse "Shuvi shuvi Hashulamith, shuvi shuvi venechezeh Bach" in SHir Hashirim refers to a return to Eretz Yisrael.

Atali

Post Mon, Oct 22 2007, 8:57 pm
How about Ariella or Arielle?

Quote:
To each their own minhag Shalhevet. Some name after family (my way), others after tzadikim, others after no one, others after people they admire, even non jews... some even make up names.

I think that Shalhevet's issue wasn't with choosing a name you like or a name from Tanach, but rather with your suggestion to name after secular zionist leaders, who as everyone knows were quite far from being tzaddikim.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 4:26 am
Shirel - song of G-d. Same letters as Yisrael.

Cheftziba is another name for Yerushalayim - "my desire is in her". Cheftzi is an Israeli nickname.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 4:51 am
Atali wrote:

Quote:
To each their own minhag Shalhevet. Some name after family (my way), others after tzadikim, others after no one, others after people they admire, even non jews... some even make up names.

I think that Shalhevet's issue wasn't with choosing a name you like or a name from Tanach, but rather with your suggestion to name after secular zionist leaders, who as everyone knows were quite far from being tzaddikim.

Yes

Atali

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 5:58 am
[quote]Atali wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
Yes

So Shalhevet, even if we don't agree on who a tzaddik is, at least we agree on some people who definately aren't

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 10:38 am
I still know frum people who did it, so I mentioned it.
My dh has a friend who is from an almost charedi family, and he is named Avraham Yair for Avraham Yair.

Crayon210

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 2:36 pm
Doesn't make it right.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 2:47 pm
Not for me to judge.

Crayon210

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 5:01 pm
It's a halachic issue, not just preference. Confused

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 5:32 pm
Apparently not all agree. Why must an innocent thread turn into a hashkafa debate. If the OP's rav disagrees, she won't do it, and if it's acceptable to her, she will. The mom of the Avraham Y I know even wears a sheitel! she's charedi! I doubt she would do something not good, especially when it's hardly a taiva to give a name.

Atali

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 8:46 pm
I had no intention on turning the thread into a hashkafa debate, I agree that what other people name their children is their own business, even if they choose a name like Nimrod or something.

However,I do think that it is legitimate to warn someone who would consider naming after a secular Zionist leader (many of whom were known to oppose yiddishkiet) or giving a Jewish name after a non-Jew) that it may have halachic and or spiritual implications for their future child.

BTW, most people do not ask rabbanim before choosing a name for their children, so the fact that someone charedi chose a particular name is hardly a proof that her rav agreed.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 8:50 pm
of course warning is good

shalhevet

Post Wed, Oct 24 2007, 3:52 am
Atali wrote:

So Shalhevet, even if we don't agree on who a tzaddik is, at least we agree on some people who definately aren't

Rolling Laughter

miriamnechama

Post Wed, Oct 24 2007, 4:07 am
this is funny this came up. 2 nights ago I was talking to ds and I said to him, " soon one day you'll go back to kineret for occupational therapy" (she's teh therapist in meuchedet) so he goes to me " no, I want to go to the yam kineret!!" LOL LOL LOL

btw there's a Music called kineret... (singer)

Imama

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 9:32 am
So, just in case anyone's still looking at this thread and cares...
Hallel Oryah was born 24 Kislev....

Parshat Miketz - Shabbat Chanukah
December 6, 2002
You delivered the mighty into the hands of the weak, the many into the hands of the few, the impure into the hands of the pure, the wicked into the hands of the righteous, and the arrogant into hands of those who labor in Your Torah. . . . Afterwards Your children came into the holiest place of Your House, and they cleared Your Temple, they purified Your Sanctuary and they lit lights in the courtyards of Your Sanctuary. They established these eight days of Chanukah, to give thanks and to praise (L’HALLEL) Your great Name.
Something is missing from the “Al Ha’nissim” prayer that we recite during Chanukah,  namely, the obligation to kindle the Chanukah lights. Instead, it seems that the festival was established primarily for praising Hashem, which we perform through the recitation of the Full Hallel, as the Talmud (Shabbat 21b) says: “The next year they established the [days] as a festival with Hallel and
thanksgiving”.

Indeed, Rambam describes Chanukah in a similar fashion:
Therefore the Sages in that generation enacted that these eight days beginning with the 25th of Kislev be days of joy (simchah) and praise (Hallel), and one lights then the lights…
First, Chanukah is defined as a period of joy and Hallel; afterwards, the lights are mentioned, not mainly as a way of expressing the joy, but, as Rambam continues, to demonstrate and to reveal the miracle (Laws of Chanukah 3:3).
[It is worth noting that Rambam teaches the laws of Hallel recited throughout the year in the balance of Ch. 3  as though Hallel is most quintessentially identified with Chanukah,  returning to the specifics of Chanukah candle lighting only in Ch. 4.]

What is the purpose of the Rabbinic command to recite Hallel in general? Rav Joseph B. Soloveitchik (1903-1993), in Shiurim L’zecher Abba, mari zal (I, p. 120 ff.), asserts that the basis of Hallel is joy (simchah). It is similar to, and flows from the same conceptual source, as the vocal and instrumental music of the Leviim in the Temple  serving Hashem with simchah, as it says:
And it was, that the trumpeters and the singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard to praise (L’HALLEL) and to thank Hashem (Divrei HaYamim II 5:13).
Full Hallel is recited on the three pilgrimage festivals of the Torah because of the commandment, “and you shall be joyful (V’SAMACHTA) on your festival” (Devarim 16:14). However, this commandment does not refer to the Rabbinic festival of Chanukah! 

This is the question raised by the Talmud (Arachin 10a-b). There, the premise is established that a day must be a festival (mo’ed) in order to obligate the recitation of Hallel. (This excludes Shabbat, which is not a mo’ed, nor is there a commandment of simchah.) 

Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur are mo’adim; however, no Hallel is recited on these days, because, as the Sages say (ibid.):
Is it possible that the King sits on the throne of judgment and the Books of Life and the Books of Death are open before Him, and Israel would sing before Him?
The simchah of the High Holy Days is muted (cf. Laws of Chanukah 3:6), and thus Hallel is inappropriate.

Another element that must exist in order to obligate Full Hallel is a prohibition against creative work (issur melachah). The Talmud derives this from a verse in Yesha’yah (30:29). There, the prophet predicts the miraculous defeat of Sancheriv, after which Israel will praise Hashem:
The song [Rashi: this refers to Hallel] shall be for you like the eve when the festival [a day when melachah is forbidden] is sanctified, and the joy of the heart like one who walks with a flute to come to the mountain of Hashem, to the Rock of Israel.
Only where there is issur melachah is there Full Hallel. Consequently, Full Hallel is not recited on Rosh Chodesh, although it is a mo’ed, because melachah is not forbidden. (This is not the place to discuss the practice of reciting "half" Hallel on Rosh Chodesh.)

Chanukah is not a mo’ed, nor is it a period of issur melachah. Whence, then, is the obligation to recite Hallel? 

The Talmud’s answer is surprising: because of the miracle.
But, is the miracle such a powerful element that it obviates the Talmud’s requirements of mo’ed and issur melachah?

Rav Soloveitchik answers that there are two ways simchah obligates the nation to recite Hallel:
1. Externally: when the Torah decrees simchah.
2. Internally: when there is a feeling of simchah.
External simchah obligates Hallel on festivals, just as it requires meat, wine and wearing attractive clothes (Rambam, Laws of Festivals 6:17-18). Internal simchah must be expressed through Full Hallel on Chanukah because it is a “fulfillment of the heart.”

One of Rav Soloveitchik’s proofs is that which the Talmud says regarding Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur: even if a day is a mo’ed of issur melachah, any impediment to a genuine fulfillment of simchah will nonetheless preclude Hallel. 

Additionally, the verse from Yesha’ya quoted above further supports this contension, because it speaks of Hallel, both with reference to external simchah  “the eve when the festival is sanctified” as well as internal simchah  “and the joy of the heart.” The salvation from the threat of Sancheriv becomes, therefore, the archetype for Hallel as an expression of simchah engendered by a miracle that saves the Jewish People. (This is also not the place to discuss why Purim, a time of a national miracle that produces simchah,  is not a day for Hallel.) Even if no other conditions exist, nationwide simchah that comes from within obligates us to praise Hashem through Hallel, because it is natural simchah. “Al Ha’nissim” explores the causes and the essential character of Chanukah. Rav Soloveitchik teaches that Chanukah was established by the Sages in order to give expression to natural, national simchah through Hallel.

Imama

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 9:33 am
Sorry the formatting didn't come out, but what I posted was a really nice little dvar Torah reflecting why we chose the name Hallel...(just thought it was a good idea after all the debate the original thread sparked...).

Chag Pesach sameach v'kasher to everyone!

Lisa
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names