Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Hats for kids are insanely overpriced
Previous  1  2

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 1:19 am
gittylove wrote:
Just saying when H&M sells hats they sell 100x more than a Jewish company does. Therefore their cost is less. I try to avoid shopping in jewish stores because I don't like to spend. But there is a reason the Jewish stores are more expensive.

I don't think this can fully explain a 6-fold price difference.

I assume these Jewish stores do not have exclusive suppliers. These products are probably mass-produced for many other retail outlets.

mochamix18

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 1:34 am
We love the children’s place hats that come with mittens. Very cute but more importantly warm and well made (they are lined).

southernbubby

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 7:40 am
DrMom wrote:
I don't think this can fully explain a 6-fold price difference.

I assume these Jewish stores do not have exclusive suppliers. These products are probably mass-produced for many other retail outlets.

Some clothes are made to order for the frum community and there is, I believe, or at least there used to be a frum factory in Montreal. In NY, the garment district has small scale producers that you can pay to draw up a pattern and produce the garments locally but the cost per unit is much higher than what is mass produced for Walmart. That's why the girls dresses all conform to chereidi standards and matching sibling designs are available in all sizes. Basically, these are boutiques that don't sell what mass marketers are selling, anymore so then the ability to buy the same silver items sold in frum stores at Macy's.
In short, what the frum stores are selling might not be available elsewhere.

ETA: there are factories in China that also produce specified designs on a small scale.

watergirl

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 8:27 am
I understand why people would need to buy clothing at frum places for most reasons (tznius, etc). I also understand why people will go to the frum store and pay the obscene prices for other items they sell (dont drive, convenience of having the store so close by my house, etc). But this is a kids hat and its 2019. Go online, go to Target or The Children's Place websites, and buy a winter hat for under $10. We honestly do not need our kids to have the same look as all of the other kids all the way down to winter hats, scarves, and mittens.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 9:37 am
hot sale Toddler Infant Kids Boys Girls Solid Color Knited Woolen Headgear Hat Cap Fashion unisex winter warm solid hat

I just ordered this hat on Ali express for 1.78 my sister ordered it and it’s warm and comfy. Just put that description into Ali express

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 9:44 am
I would never go to a Jewish store for hats or socks or lingerie or any product which doesn't need to be tsnius. I would only go to a Jewish clothing store if I need an outfit and don't have time to go through the malls . It's self understood that you will pay more.

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 9:46 am
southernbubby wrote:
Some clothes are made to order for the frum community and there is, I believe, or at least there used to be a frum factory in Montreal. In NY, the garment district has small scale producers that you can pay to draw up a pattern and produce the garments locally but the cost per unit is much higher than what is mass produced for Walmart. That's why the girls dresses all conform to chereidi standards and matching sibling designs are available in all sizes. Basically, these are boutiques that don't sell what mass marketers are selling, anymore so then the ability to buy the same silver items sold in frum stores at Macy's.
In short, what the frum stores are selling might not be available elsewhere.

ETA: there are factories in China that also produce specified designs on a small scale.

For a winter hat???

Doesn't seem to be any ROI to this. I'd imagine there is very little difference between a "frum" children's hat and a mainstream children's hat that you can buy in H&M/Children's Place/Gap/Target/Ali Express.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 10:44 am
DrMom wrote:
For a winter hat???

Doesn't seem to be any ROI to this. I'd imagine there is very little difference between a "frum" children's hat and a mainstream children's hat that you can buy in H&M/Children's Place/Gap/Target/Ali Express.

Well, I just bought one of those mamas for a new grand niece whose parents are both professionals. I agree that I could have bought a functional piece of junk at Family Dollar but I can't give that as a gift. The boutique hats truly do look spiffy but if I am buying for a kid who looses his stuff on the school bus, then Family Dollar, here I come!

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 11:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Any links for cute warm hats for kids? In the Jewish store I went to today the average price was $35! And the one I liked was $40.

What did it look like?

For my kids, hats and mittens were practically disposable products; I hope someone found everything we lost and enjoyed them! So I recommend Target, Old Navy or Kohls. If it needs to be REALLY warm, look at REI.

watergirl

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 11:38 am
southernbubby wrote:
Well, I just bought one of those mamas for a new grand niece whose parents are both professionals. I agree that I could have bought a functional piece of junk at Family Dollar but I can't give that as a gift. The boutique hats truly do look spiffy but if I am buying for a kid who looses his stuff on the school bus, then Family Dollar, here I come!

Its not either Family Dollar or Heimi$h World. You can get a very nice set for $20 from Children's Place. What does her parent's jobs have to do with the amount you spend on a hat/glove set?

southernbubby

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 11:38 am
SixOfWands wrote:
What did it look like?

For my kids, hats and mittens were practically disposable products; I hope someone found everything we lost and enjoyed them! So I recommend Target, Old Navy or Kohls. If it needs to be REALLY warm, look at REI.

For truly disposable, try Dollar Tree and 5 below.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 11:44 am
watergirl wrote:
Its not either Family Dollar or Heimi$h World. You can get a very nice set for $20 from Children's Place. What does her parent's jobs have to do with the amount you spend on a hat/glove set?

My SIL and BIL always have given generously to my grandchildren and they don't have many grandchildren so I bought some nice things from a frum kids accessories boutique. They might appreciate something special over something that they could easily buy. They are not snobby people but I wanted to do something that they would really enjoy.
Personally, I always bought the cheapest possible of these easily lost items.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 11:47 am
southernbubby wrote:
For truly disposable, try Dollar Tree and 5 below.

My youngest is 14, and would sooner get frostbite than put on a hat.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 11:47 am
southernbubby wrote:
My SIL and BIL always have given generously to my grandchildren and they don't have many grandchildren so I bought some nice things from a frum kids accessories boutique. They might appreciate something special over something that they could easily buy. They are not snobby people but I wanted to do something that they would really enjoy.
Personally, I always bought the cheapest possible of these easily lost items.

No, it makes perfect sense to buy something like that for a baby present. IMNSHO.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 11:51 am
Shoppers Paradise Lakewood

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 11:51 am
If everybody bought the exact same hat, and the kids started getting them mixed up at school... well, it only take one kid with lice before you have a full blown plague.

Scratching Head Scratching Head Scratching Head Scratching Head Scratching Head

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 6:11 pm
The jewish stores are boutiques. I dont find them to be any more expensive than the non jewish boutiques in my city. If you dont want to pay boutique prices theres alway H&M, carters, etc.

be good

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 8:53 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Shoppers Paradise Lakewood

Not a cheap store!

icebreaker

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 8:58 pm
Always bought my kids hats from the 99 cents store or some other cheap store. I don’t remember anyone buying $40 kids hats when mine were younger What
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics