Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I live in NY. Should I drive out of state to shop?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 8:40 am
Frumwithallergies wrote:
May this be your worst problem ever!

#firstworldproblem

Thumbs Up

southernbubby

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 8:49 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
Gas and tolls not cheap..

Gas here in Monsey is cheap and it's also cheap in nearby NJ. No tolls from my home to NJ.

Amarante

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 8:57 am
Cashiers still bag when you give them your reusable bags so I have no idea what kind of delay OP has experienced.

I have been living with a ban on plastic bags for a few years and there are no delays and everyone gets used to it. If you forget a bag, you either pay a minimal amount for a strong plastic bag or you pay $1.00 for a larger recyclable bag.

The $1.00 recyclable bags are basically tote bags with flat bottoms so items are packed better than a regular plastic bag and have longer cloth handles so can be worn on the shoulder.

Of all the non-issues people are afraid of, this certainly ranks as numero uno. And as others have posted, how can driving further than your local stores (wherever located) plus paying gas money there and back make any analytical sense.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 8:57 am
I think that lots of online services and grocery delivery will take the place of going to the store with a trunk load of bags. The average frum family has to buy a much larger quantity of food than the average American family so that might mean hauling numerous bags into the store. I would rather pay 50 cents a box and have the groceries boxed up.

iyar

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 9:09 am
DrMom wrote:
Oh for crying out loud, just bring some reusable cloth grocery bags like people do in many, many countries all over the world.

So much unnecessary drama.

Maybe not all the drama is unnecessary.
Reusable grocery bags are highly efficient breeding grounds for bacteria.
This is probably not the best time.
We have enough contagious pathogens breathing down our necks right now without creative ideas to add to the mix.

Last edited by iyar on Wed, Mar 04 2020, 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total

southernbubby

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 9:09 am
Amarante wrote:
Cashiers still bag when you give them your reusable bags so I have no idea what kind of delay OP has experienced.

I have been living with a ban on plastic bags for a few years and there are no delays and everyone gets used to it. If you forget a bag, you either pay a minimal amount for a strong plastic bag or you pay $1.00 for a larger recyclable bag.

The $1.00 recyclable bags are basically tote bags with flat bottoms so items are packed better than a regular plastic bag and have longer cloth handles so can be worn on the shoulder.

Of all the non-issues people are afraid of, this certainly ranks as numero uno. And as others have posted, how can driving further than your local stores (wherever located) plus paying gas money there and back make any analytical sense.

Aldi's here is no longer selling the dime strong plastic bags. Apparently any plastic bag sold has to be able to be used 125 times. Big stores have dollar bags but this could be an issue for stores that are not chains.

Amarante

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 9:22 am
southernbubby wrote:
Aldi's here is no longer selling the dime strong plastic bags. Apparently any plastic bag sold has to be able to be used 125 times. Big stores have dollar bags but this could be an issue for stores that are not chains.

Aldis to my knowledge - never shopped there - never provided bags so I assume their customer base represents a kind of shopper who is prepared to deal with how to get their purchases home.

Despite numerous posts from people who have lived through bans on disposable plastic bags or live in places that never provided plastic bags - the litany of imagined horrors continue. Use one of the numerous strategies that have been posted and get over it LOL Not directing this to you - southernbubby as I recall you are a poster who has indicated her flexibility in terms of adjusting.

It truly is much ado about nothing for people who manage to get their groceries and other purchases home without disposable plastic bags.

mfb

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 9:28 am
I think the ban affects people differently.
And people who live in Brooklyn and are walking all over, and don’t drive or even own a car are having a hard time with this ban.
If you have a car and drive to the parking lot of the store to make your purchases and always keep bags in your car it’s not nearly as hard.

Amarante

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 9:46 am
mfb wrote:
I think the ban affects people differently.
And people who live in Brooklyn and are walking all over, and don’t drive or even own a car are having a hard time with this ban.
If you have a car and drive to the parking lot of the store to make your purchases and always keep bags in your car it’s not nearly as hard.

Please explain why Brooklyn is more difficult than other large metropolitan cities in Europe in which most of the people walk.

Also please explain why it is difficult?

People carry ONE lightweight holdup bag for spontaneous purchases. They even have some that clip on to your key chain. They can fit in a pocket or in a purse. I always carry a light weight tote in folded in my normal size purse - it weights nothing and folds up very small

For large shopping expeditions with numerous bags, how were you shlepping the stuff home prior to the ban? In my experience most people plan large shopping trips and need a way to carry numerous bags home because carrying a lot of the disposable bags long distances is quite difficult. the straps are short and dig into your wrist because not long enough to carry over the shoulder. The disposable bags also tend to not be particular sturdy - prior to the ban I had handles rip even carrying a short distance.

ETA - In my experience, people with cars are much more likely to have spontaneous large shopping trips than those who walk to stores and must figure out how to carry lots of items home. When I lived in Manhattan and WALKED to shop, I would buy one bag at most on my way home from work but planned major shopping trips so I could get purchases home. Or I would shop at a store that delivered when I purchased at the store because I didn't want to take a granny cart all day.

Last edited by Amarante on Wed, Mar 04 2020, 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total

monkeys

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 9:52 am
You all just need some time to get used to it. We’ve been doing this in LA for years. It’s silly and annoying but really not such a big deal. Yes, I often pay the 10 cents a bag if I’m shopping on the fly. It’s part of life and not the biggest expense. I keep bags in my car and front closet. If I remember them, great. If not, I deal with it.

gingleale

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 10:07 am
Just FYI parts of Bergen county now also have no plastic bags.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 10:31 am
gingleale wrote:
Just FYI parts of Bergen county now also have no plastic bags.

A lot of NJ stores are closed on Sundays so these things need to be checked out in advance before depending on NJ to save the day.
My neighbors usually have groceries delivered because they don't drive so for them, the only added expense is the box fee.
A lot of advertising happens when people walk around with the bag and I would imagine that at least those cute paper bags from the chocolate store will be available for a few cents.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 10:38 am
Frumwithallergies wrote:
As DrMom wrote, people have been doing this for YEARS already in other countries. My DH pays to buy 'thicker' plastic bags because he can't be bothered to carry around, and I carry around 2-3 folded cloth bags in my purse for emergencies. I keep costco reusable bags in my trunk for my bigger grocery runs. We've been dealing with this where I live for a few years and no one is crying about this. Even at the frum grocery stores here; people manage just fine!

What is the big deal?

Most other countries doing this still have bags available, you just need to pay for them. And it doesn't apply usually to corner groceries, only supermarket chains. (In England it's 5p a bag, Israel 10 agurot).

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 10:39 am
https://www.npr.org/sections/m.....rbage

watergirl

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 10:41 am
I split political posts and put them where they belong. Please feel free to continue that aspect of this conversation there. I will not be moving any more amother posts to the thread in the political forum - any new amother political posts in this thread will be deleted.

Last edited by watergirl on Wed, Mar 04 2020, 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 10:46 am
I think it will just take a little time to get used to.., people will figure it out eventually.
I’m in Lakewood... anyone want to buy shopping bags?? I’m thinking of starting a business selling my collection!

lilies

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 10:55 am
There was a picture going around of a man walking out of the grocery store with his items in the produce plastic bags.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 10:58 am
It's not hard to find large cloth bags with handles that go over your shoulders, and they last a long time. I have been carrying one all the time for years, and will now bring more when I will be doing shopping. No answer for the lines, though.

sky

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 11:10 am
Frumwithallergies wrote:
As DrMom wrote, people have been doing this for YEARS already in other countries. My DH pays to buy 'thicker' plastic bags because he can't be bothered to carry around, and I carry around 2-3 folded cloth bags in my purse for emergencies. I keep costco reusable bags in my trunk for my bigger grocery runs. We've been dealing with this where I live for a few years and no one is crying about this. Even at the frum grocery stores here; people manage just fine!

What is the big deal?

Most ppl in Brooklyn walk and don’t drive. Parking is difficult. There are no trunks to store bags.

tigerwife

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 11:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Because cashiers bag faster than customers do.

Lol! One of the most traumatic parts of living in Israel was frantically bagging my groceries and stuffing shekel into my wallet while the long line behind me stared intimidatingly.
(Just kidding. Kind of.😂)
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics