Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Family activities in Israel
Previous  1  2  3  Next

DrMom

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 1:15 am
doctorima wrote:
We love Gan Guru! Also Eretz Bereishit, Ramat Gan safari, Nimrod's Fortress, Blind Museum (check ages), Beis HaMikdash VR, Tzfas candle factory, Tel Dan, Ir David light show, Yam Hamelach, shofar factory near Kinneret - this is all pre-Covid, so check to see what's currently open and with what restrictions

Most domestic tourist activities stayed open for the past year and a half. Domestic tourism, esp. for families with kids, was booming because of air travel rules and restrictions.

Currently there are no restrictions except for indoor masks (hoping that will be gone before Pesach...).

BTW, aside from your possible foray to the North, where in Israel will you be based? Will you have access to a vehicle the entire time?

If you will be in the Jerusalem area, I'd recommend:
Temple Mount Sifting project: https://tmsifting.org/en/
(For older kids) Rappelling down the walls of the Old City: https://www.ynetnews.com/artic......html
Western Wall Tunnels: https://thekotel.org/en/tours/.....nels/

salt

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 2:25 am
amother [ Crystal ] wrote:
Op, this is off topic but I’m wondering where you are staying for pesach. Will you be with family? We’re trying to plan the same trip and I feel like going for pesach (needing pesach food) is so complicated.

I can understand shopping for food in any foreign place is difficult, but just so you know, you'll find it hard to find NON-kosher for pesach food at that time of year in Israel.

You just have to look out for the kitniyot printed on the packets . Alternatively you shop in a strict-hechsher shop in the charedi neighbourhoods where most of the food is badatz eida charedit and is all without kitniyot.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 1:44 pm
salt wrote:
I can understand shopping for food in any foreign place is difficult, but just so you know, you'll find it hard to find NON-kosher for pesach food at that time of year in Israel.

You just have to look out for the kitniyot printed on the packets . Alternatively you shop in a strict-hechsher shop in the charedi neighbourhoods where most of the food is badatz eida charedit and is all without kitniyot.

We’re not staying with family, in fact much of the family I do have there is more lax with kashrus than I am, especially on Pesach. We’re renting an apartment and will be buying some catered food and cooking some there. We’re not big eaters and like simple food, and we’re getting there a few days in advance so I’ll have some time to get my footing food-wise. It will be more challenging than a typical Pesach but worth it! If I’m really ambitious I may turn over part of my kitchen at home and do some baking before we go, but I don’t think it’s necessary.

Thanks again everyone for the great suggestions.

ETA sorry I quoted the wrong post, that was for amother crystal

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 1:49 pm
I second renting an airbnb up north for a few days. You might want to look into that now though, they are probably filling up fast.

LeahM1

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 2:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We’re not staying with family, in fact much of the family I do have there is more lax with kashrus than I am, especially on Pesach. We’re renting an apartment and will be buying some catered food and cooking some there. We’re not big eaters and like simple food, and we’re getting there a few days in advance so I’ll have some time to get my footing food-wise. It will be more challenging than a typical Pesach but worth it! If I’m really ambitious I may turn over part of my kitchen at home and do some baking before we go, but I don’t think it’s necessary.

Thanks again everyone for the great suggestions.

ETA sorry I quoted the wrong post, that was for amother crystal

If you're in the Jerusalem area before Pesach and could use some help going grocery shopping, happy to show you the ropes or recommend stores w products you're looking for.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 4:38 pm
LeahM1 wrote:
If you're in the Jerusalem area before Pesach and could use some help going grocery shopping, happy to show you the ropes or recommend stores w products you're looking for.

That is so sweet! Thank you so much for offering! Mi k’amcha Yisrael Smile

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 9:15 pm
I'm back Very Happy I have the trip pretty much worked out, just looking for one more chol hamo'ed day trip, preferably not too far from Jerusalem that won't be too insanely crowded... any more ideas would be very welcome! (We're doing a bunch of things that you all suggested so thank you!)

heidi

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 9:23 pm
Tha Bullet Factory in Rechovot is fascinating. You can book an English tour, look up Machon Ayalon..
The music museum in Music Square is also nice.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 9:41 pm
heidi wrote:
Tha Bullet Factory in Rechovot is fascinating. You can book an English tour, look up Machon Ayalon..
The music museum in Music Square is also nice.

Thank you! I looked into the bullet factory, is it interesting for the little kids too? I have toddlers through teens. About how long does a tour take? My Hebrew is rusty (to be generous) but I think the website is saying that I can't book tickets at this time? Anything else interesting to do in the area or along the way to/from Jerusalem, outdoorsy stuff maybe? (Sorry to bombard you!)

Is Ein Prat likely to be jam packed on chol hamo'ed? It looks beautiful and I've never been there.

DrMom

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 10:33 pm
The bullet factory should offer an English tour. Call them to ask.

Ein Prat is wonderful.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 7:40 am
Thanks DrMom!

DrMom

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 8:06 am
My pleasure! Ein Prat does get crowded. Also, you'll need to reserve a spot.

https://en.parks.org.il/reserv.....erve/

If they are not accepting reservations for chol hamoed, they will be soon. Just check back from time to time.

DrMom

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 8:26 am

If they are not accepting reservations for chol hamoed, they will be soon. Just check back from time to time.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 8:37 am
Meat hateumim (twins cave) is a nice hike near beit shemesh. We went to the vat caves then turned around at the stone slides. It's a short-ish hike that's good for small kids.

DrMom

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 9:07 am

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 9:15 am
joining this thread.. Anyone know of fun things to do in Tel Aviv (with little kids)? I’ll be the week pesach. We will probably go to the zoo one day.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 9:16 am
OP, can you share your itinerary? Sounds like much fun!

juggling

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 9:36 am
Iymnok wrote:
Meat hateumim (twins cave) is a nice hike near beit shemesh. We went to the vat caves then turned around at the stone slides. It's a short-ish hike that's good for small kids.

It's a nice hike.
For tourists, I recommend beit guvrin and/or the avshalom (stalactite) cave, also near beit Shemesh. They're both quite memorable.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 2:56 pm
Iymnok wrote:

Ooooh this looks super fun and right up our alley. Thank you! Will it be crazy there on chol hamo'ed? If you had to choose (and that's to the general "you" out there!) would you go with mearat hateumim or Ein Prat?

Thanks all again.

DrMom

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 3:02 pm
Personally, I think Ein Prat is more fun if the weather is warm because there is water. Plus it is beautiful.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions