Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
S/o how often do your kids get WackyMac?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

How often do your kids get Wacky Mac?
Whenever they want!  
 4%  [ 6 ]
Never!  
 46%  [ 60 ]
Weekly  
 10%  [ 13 ]
Daily  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Um what?  
 25%  [ 32 ]
Other  
 13%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 128

amother
Lightpink

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 5:50 pm
Used to be twice a month. Less often now that one of my kids can't have dairy. The funny thing is I think with a balanced dinner it's fine, but on the hot chocolate thread I was team it's an occasional treat (because of the sugar content). Everything in moderation I guess.

writinggirl

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 6:20 pm
challah58 wrote:
Did wacky Mac used to be cy or was there another company? I remember boxed mac n cheese from when I was a kid and I thought it was glorious ☺️

There used to be a CY company, I think it was called Old City Cafe.

amother
Azalea

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 7:08 pm
Never. It's pure white flour and chemicals. I buy whole-wheat pasta on sale and add cheese to melt while it's still hot. I do realize that white-flour pasta is a godsend of sorts for people in tight financial straits, and mixes are the same for people with tight time constraints, but I prefer to cut my corners elsewhere. BH I'm not in such narrow straits that I have to resort to this.

amother
Hyssop

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 7:22 pm
Never. It literally takes 5 min to make a sauce for Mac and cheese from scratch. No need to have all that processed junk

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 7:30 pm
I’m the wack max mom from two nights ago lol. A lot of these posts were what was in my head when I posted.. can’t pronounce ingredients… junk… chemicals… takes two seconds to make your own sauce…etc etc. that being said I guiltily give it prob 1 maybe 2 times a month

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 7:32 pm
HOW do you make a similar sauce from scratch?? I’ve tried a bunch of different recipes and haven’t succeeded in making anything that stays creamy and smooth like WackyMac.

amother
Springgreen

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 7:35 pm
BH Yom Yom wrote:
HOW do you make a similar sauce from scratch?? I’ve tried a bunch of different recipes and haven’t succeeded in making anything that stays creamy and smooth like WackyMac.

I've done it with milk and american cheese and cheddar. Don't remember the measurements though.

gootlfriends

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 7:39 pm
Only one child eats Mac and cheese. My husband hates dairy and I am lactose intolerant so I suspect a few of my kids are. We eat other unhealthy foods...Noodle soup once a week.

icedcoffee

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 7:54 pm
amother Azalea wrote:
Never. It's pure white flour and chemicals. I buy whole-wheat pasta on sale and add cheese to melt while it's still hot. I do realize that white-flour pasta is a godsend of sorts for people in tight financial straits, and mixes are the same for people with tight time constraints, but I prefer to cut my corners elsewhere. BH I'm not in such narrow straits that I have to resort to this.

Lol I like how you say "resort to this" like we're depression-era housewives desperately trying to make soup out of dandelions and moldy potatoes. I have plenty of money and time bh and love Wacky Mac because it's delicious and I'm ok with having meals that aren't so healthy on occasion. All about balance Wink

giftedmom

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 7:57 pm
BH Yom Yom wrote:

I don’t know what wackymac is but I have a great recipe. The secret to creamy and smooth is the Italian method of adding pasta water to the sauce.

chanar

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 7:58 pm
I voted never cuz were makpid on CY. But my kids would love to try it if they could!! And I would totally make it for them if it was an option!

amother
Lightblue

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 8:21 pm
giftedmom wrote:
I don’t know what wackymac is but I have a great recipe. The secret to creamy and smooth is the Italian method of adding pasta water to the sauce.

Would love if you can post your recipe.

Thanks!

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 9:10 pm
giftedmom wrote:

So I’ve made this recipe before, which comes out decent when eaten immediately, but if it sits out more than a few minutes, the cheese gets clumpy (and whatever the opposite of smooth is). I tried following the instructions to reheat it, and no dice. Any suggestions?

https://www.seriouseats.com/in.....ecipe

I wish there were a way to get kosher cheese powder (like boxed mac n cheese), but I’ve never seen it except from bulk supply stores online, which typically sell to companies, not individuals.

amother
Electricblue

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 9:12 pm
Omg yum!!!!! Wish I still kept cholov Stam just for wacky Mac and the amazing ice creams

amother
Black

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 9:14 pm
I hate sharing wacky mac

But Saturday nights are either Publix brand or pizza. Their choice

bethab

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 9:14 pm
Is there a CY or parve version of this?

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 9:29 pm
amother Magenta wrote:
I’m the wack max mom from two nights ago lol. A lot of these posts were what was in my head when I posted.. can’t pronounce ingredients… junk… chemicals… takes two seconds to make your own sauce…etc etc. that being said I guiltily give it prob 1 maybe 2 times a month
There are better options out there if you want to make changes.

GLUE

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 12:00 am
amother Electricblue wrote:
Omg yum!!!!! Wish I still kept cholov Stam just for wacky Mac and the amazing ice creams

Someone went to his Rabbi and said that he should be able to eat cookies and doughnuts that only use a by product of milk it should OK even through he only eats CY.
The Rabbi looked at him and said there is not enough CY products that will make you gain weight is that your issue?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 12:09 am
My kids have never had it. And I didn't either. I never even tasted it but now I can't as we eat CY.

giftedmom

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 12:27 am
amother Lightblue wrote:
Would love if you can post your recipe.

Thanks!

I don’t use exact measurements but this is it approximately. It’s very forgiving.

Half a package of pasta
Half container cream cheese
2-3 tbsp butter
1-2 cups shredded cheese
2-3 slices American cheese
About a cup pasta water
Shpritz of ketchup (you can use any kind of tomato sauce or whatever you like).

Feel free to mix it up with whatever flavors or cheese you like

Last edited by giftedmom on Thu, Jan 18 2024, 12:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics