Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
What do you buy weekly in the grocery....to dump!
Previous  1  2

Lemonade 2323

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 11:53 am
Malkqueen wrote:
Bakery items.
We always have leftover rugelach, cookies etc that go stale. And it's not even something like produce that I'd push myself to use in a recipe; I know it's not healthy so I'm not trying to use it up.

Again, one man's treasure...pass onto me!

Lemonade 2323

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 11:56 am
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
Nothing! My kids devour everything.

Although for a while my kids were eating plenty of bananas, so I bought a big bunch every week and it disappeared. It took me a couple of weeks to realize that suddenly almost no one was eating them anymore...the first week or two I figured it was just a random coincidence that so many of them got brown beyond salvaging by the time I realized they were still there. Now I only buy a few at a time, and they get eaten.

This happens to me all the time, drives me crazy! If my kids like something I buy it all the time, but they're so fickle and it doesn't take long before they decide they don't like it anymore. And they complain that I 'always' buy the same thing. Go figure!

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 11:58 am
omg I love cherry tomatoes- use them for so many recipes and sweet potatoes...
cherry tomatoes- just put olive oil and a basil cube, some salt and pepper and roast them in the oven on 425- it's like a confit- delicious w challah. I make it every shabbos
also love the pasta dish with roasted tomatoes and feta and then just mix in whole wheat pasta.

Sweet potatoes- can cut them in half, put some olive oil and spices and bake cut side down on 425. Delicious and easy. If more time can peel and make fries- roast on 425 w olive oil, salt, chili spice, and garlic powder. Or can cube and use in salads etc..

But I am definitely guilty of buying to dump- not weekly- but sometimes I buy a bag of oranges or clementines and my kids are not into them at the moment and they don't get eaten Sad

amother
Eggplant

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 12:00 pm
Highstrung wrote:
Kirbies. They always die on me before I get to use them

Same

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 12:00 pm
I grill the cherry tomatoes with a little olive oil a dash of salt and a sprinkling of brown sugar. My kids love them. And you can use soft or wrinkled ones they come out even better.

amother
Hosta

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 12:05 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:
Same

I put mine in a ziplock bag with a metal spoon and a paper towel that seems to magically keep them fresh. I heard this hack somewhere and it works for some reason.

Lemonade 2323

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 12:05 pm
amother Blonde wrote:
omg I love cherry tomatoes- use them for so many recipes and sweet potatoes...
cherry tomatoes- just put olive oil and a basil cube, some salt and pepper and roast them in the oven on 425- it's like a confit- delicious w challah. I make it every shabbos
also love the pasta dish with roasted tomatoes and feta and then just mix in whole wheat pasta.

Sweet potatoes- can cut them in half, put some olive oil and spices and bake cut side down on 425. Delicious and easy. If more time can peel and make fries- roast on 425 w olive oil, salt, chili spice, and garlic powder. Or can cube and use in salads etc..

But I am definitely guilty of buying to dump- not weekly- but sometimes I buy a bag of oranges or clementines and my kids are not into them at the moment and they don't get eaten Sad

Sounds yum! Try it with 3 color cherry tomatos for a very elegant look.

Lemonade 2323

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 12:07 pm
amother Bottlebrush wrote:
I grill the cherry tomatoes with a little olive oil a dash of salt and a sprinkling of brown sugar. My kids love them. And you can use soft or wrinkled ones they come out even better.

As I posted above, use tri-color cherry tomatoes for an elegant upgrade! Costco usually have them.

amother
Hyssop

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 12:08 pm
Highstrung wrote:
Kirbies. They always die on me before I get to use them

As in pickled or like Israeli ones?

amother
Snowflake

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 12:11 pm
Grapes.
DH always asks me to get and eats the first day. He then forgets them. If I don’t get a large bunch, he tells me that it’s the only fruit he eats and clearly I am valuing every else over him.
The kids and I don’t eat them.

Malkqueen

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 12:14 pm
amother Snowflake wrote:
Grapes.
DH always asks me to get and eats the first day. He then forgets them. If I don’t get a large bunch, he tells me that it’s the only fruit he eats and clearly I am valuing every else over him.
The kids and I don’t eat them.

Does he like frozen grapes? After a couple of days in the fridge, my grapes get de-stemmed and popped into the freezer. My kids love them that way.

amother
Fern

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 3:29 pm
lettuce.

I like salads a lot, but it just goes bad so fast!!!

mha3484

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 3:36 pm
I only buy this lettuce. https://www.cleanestandgreenest.com/

It lasts for much longer then any other brand.

amother
Quince

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 3:36 pm
Lemonade 2323 wrote:
Please pass them on to me instead of throwing them away, we can never have too many blueberries in my house! One man's treasure...

Same for me for Cherry tomatoes. I cannot imagine a box of grape/cherry tomatoes not getting empty the first day I buy it. (I buy minimum 4 a week)

zaq

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 5:21 pm
If you always dump them, why do you keep buying them? I used to buy cucumbers only to have them go bad. Eventually enlightenment penetrated the dark recesses of my dim brain and I stopped buying cucumbers. Problem solved.

amother
Milk

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 10:56 pm
Store Cucumbers and kirbies for much longer by wrapping completely in paper towels and wrapping in plastic bag. Can put a few together but make sure no Cucumber is touching the bag. I used to throw them out by midweek. Now they stay crunchy and fresh

amother
Peru

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 11:05 pm
Cantaloupe.

I wait for it to get ripe. Then I forget to check and then I turn around and oh boy it's all mushy and needs to be dumped!

Tanya1234

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 11:06 pm
amother Bronze wrote:
Blueberries

Freeze them and use in your smoothie

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 11:23 pm
amother Fern wrote:
lettuce.

I like salads a lot, but it just goes bad so fast!!!

Same!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics