Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What is the most affordable frum community in america...?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Chani

Post Mon, Jun 08 2009, 7:33 pm
Memphis is definitely cheaper than Cleveland. There's no income tax in TN (state or local), which more than offsets the slightly higher housing cost (very slightly higher). The two major grocery chains carry kosher food under the vaad and there's competition which helps keep prices down (not to mention that regular groceries seem to be cheaper than in Ohio). Utilities are cheaper (let's hear it for TVA), and even though you need a/c you sure won't need to spend as much to heat your house all winter.

On the other hand the job market isn't so great. But it is probably better than Cleveland.

The feel of the community is totally different than Cleveland Heights. Which is a plus for some and a minus for others. I think all would agree, though, that it is a very warm and friendly community with a diverse orthodox community from all sides of the spectrum.

Personally, if I could get a job there in my field, we'd move back in a flash.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 08 2009, 7:52 pm
amother wrote:
The cleveland clinic, for example, requires all its employees, emergency or not, doctors or not, to work on shabbos. Of course, you can try suing for religious descrimination, but you can't PROVE that the reason they didnt hire you was because of the shabbos issue.

Thats not true! Perhaps it used to be like that but definitely not anymore! My father works there and is not a doctor. He very easily comes home on time for shabbos, takes off yomtov... much more easily than my mom who works in UH

alpidarkomama

Post Mon, Jun 08 2009, 11:13 pm
We are hoping to move to such a community as soon as DH finds a job. On our list: Cleveland (#1), Columbus, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Houston, Detroit, Memphis, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia

Slightly more expensive (possible if the right job comes through): Denver, Minneapolis

And more (and we likely won't move to): Atlanta (LOVE that community!!), Phoenix, Las Vegas

mominisrael2

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 3:17 am
Feel free to PM me for more info on St. Louis...VERY affordable, very family-friendly and the frum community is amazing...only drawback is no kosher restaurants!! Sad

amother

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 3:29 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
The cleveland clinic, for example, requires all its employees, emergency or not, doctors or not, to work on shabbos. Of course, you can try suing for religious descrimination, but you can't PROVE that the reason they didnt hire you was because of the shabbos issue.

Thats not true! Perhaps it used to be like that but definitely not anymore! My father works there and is not a doctor. He very easily comes home on time for shabbos, takes off yomtov... much more easily than my mom who works in UH
Could be. This was as a physical therapist, 5+ years ago.

ss321

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 4:04 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

perhaps that particular job, that particular pay grade, etc.
but no, the cc doesnt require all employees to work 7day workweeks.

carry on.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 5:32 am
amother wrote:
I have to post this anonymously since anyone who knows me will know why....

HOUSTON, TX!

My husband does not stop. He is forever and ever going on about Houston. How we should all relocate.

One of the main reasons is:
Zoning Laws - there are NO zoning laws in Texas. You can build whatever you want on any plot of land and there are NO RULES! Consequently housing is really cheap.

I can go on and on about Houston, but I just don't have the energy since my DH is so obsessed I am just sick of the topic.

But if you are interested here is a link to Young Israel of Houston, they have all the information you would need.

http://www.yihouston.org/

I was wondering if anyone would come out about Houston. Property is low priced, no local income tax, job market is good (ESPECIALLY in the medical field). 3 warm, friendly and inviting frum shuls (Young Israel, Chabad and Yeshivish). Kosher food readily available...

The downside to Houston - up until just a few years ago there were two frum day schools - Chabad and Hebrew Academy. Recently the Yeshivish part of the community (new, young crowd - they live in a slightly different area than the other two shuls, out of the eruv, although I'm not sure if they have one of their own), started a girls school. I don't know anything about it and I'm not sure if they have a boys school. This was the very first Yeshivish type school in the city.

Amother for identity purposes.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 6:09 am
ss321 wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

perhaps that particular job, that particular pay grade, etc.
but no, the cc doesnt require all employees to work 7day workweeks.
What do you mean that particular pay grade? And it wasnt one job- any hospital affilated with the cleveland clinic, such as hillcrest hospital, euclid hospital, etc. and what do you mean particular pay grade? This is someone with 20 years experience under her belt unable to find a job in these places because the cleveland clinic took over.
And the same held true for cardiologists (non invasive, non surgeons) that I know.

ss321

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 6:23 am
amother wrote:
What do you mean that particular pay grade? And it wasnt one job- any hospital affilated with the cleveland clinic, such as hillcrest hospital, euclid hospital, etc. and what do you mean particular pay grade? This is someone with 20 years experience under her belt unable to find a job in these places because the cleveland clinic took over.
And the same held true for cardiologists (non invasive, non surgeons) that I know.

here is a definition of pay grade I pulled from some Human resources manual I googled:
Quote:

Pay Grades: Grouping of jobs into set pay ranges as determined by the hospital’s job evaluation method.
Pay Ranges: The positioning between pay grade base minimum to pay grade base maximum reflected at a straight time hourly rate or salary. The pay ranges used for the hospital are reviewed on an annual basis as part of the formal wage and salary program analysis. When necessary, the pay ranges will be adjusted in order to remain competitive in the marketplace. When pay ranges are adjusted, employees may be eligible to receive a wage adjustment provided their rate of pay does not exceed the pay range maximum. Employees will not have a rate of pay less than the approved pay range minimum

you get paid more based on experience, degree, licensing and credentials, etc. many academic hospitals use the term "pay grade" to describe how this process works, maybe its not the same in the private sector or business world, IDK, I dont have alot of non-hospital work experience.
Makes no sense that a hospital only hires people who will work on Saturday, how would they hire per diem workers?
could be for the particular positions she was applying for - full time in [surgical/rehab/orthopedic surgery/whatever I dont know] department, the contract stipulated that a PT be on call every saturday or something like that. but I think you are missing some very important piece of information here, it makes no sense that an entire university system requires every single employee to work Saturdays. I

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 7:27 am
Cincinnati -- tuition is low due to state vouchers (cleveland doesn't qualify because of their public school system), housing is very, very affordable, depending on jobs, one car could be enough (school is right near where everyone lives, almost everyone can walk...), there is job placing via Agudah if anyone needs help....

amother

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 7:40 am
Before moving to St. Louis you need to check out the day schools and make sure you're ok with them since they are both seriously lacking in certain respects.

alpidarkomama

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 9:02 am
mominisrael2 wrote:
Feel free to PM me for more info on St. Louis...VERY affordable, very family-friendly and the frum community is amazing...only drawback is no kosher restaurants!! Sad

I've visited St. Louis a couple of times (visited a friend there). I love that community too. We don't eat out hardly ever, so no kosher restaurants doesn't matter to us! Smile

amother

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 9:06 am
mominisrael2 wrote:

Oh I wonder if I know you

mominisrael2

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 9:22 am
amother wrote:
mominisrael2 wrote:

Oh I wonder if I know you

My avatar gives away my identity...but only knowing that you (as amother) are unhappy with both schools isn't much of a giveaway on your end!! LOL...

amother

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 10:32 am
mominisrael - give us another clue. I don't get how your avatar gives you away (I'm a different amother than the other one, but also know st. louis)

mominisrael2

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 11:57 am
Ummm, I'm the only St. Louisan to have made aliyah recently!! (And the only one obsessed with Hello Kitty...)

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 12:01 pm
Do I know you as well, from Tachlis?

mominisrael2

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 12:09 pm
Ding ding ding!! And the non-St. Louisan gets it right. Smile

(Imamother is much more fun than Tachlis these days, don't you think?)

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 12:11 pm
Yeah. My problem is that I remember everything then have to put all the remembered things together (who in the WORLD remembers where all these Olim hale from) to make sense.
So hi!!!!

mominisrael2

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 12:16 pm
I'm surprised anyone remembers that -- just got another "there are Jews in St. Louis?!??!" comment today (not surprisingly from a New Yorker...) But it's really nice, OP!!
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics