Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
The NYC school bus strike, how are you coping?
  Previous  1  2  3  4 10  11  12  Next

zigi

Post Thu, Feb 07 2013, 10:44 pm
the book this is america spoke about unions in america and the triangle shirt waist factory.

my kids drivers didn't want to strike.

I agree about the zero media coverage, the only way to get any further information is to go to 1181's website.

based on info from the last bus strike which lasted 3 months I assume the same because no one is backing down.

my kids are effected. I have special needs kids. I am not happy with them. its not like its a product or service that I can live without.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Feb 07 2013, 10:53 pm
MimiMommy wrote:
Come to think of it, where I grew up there was no school bus service for anyone, at any age. People either carpooled or took public buses (at the parents' expense). Yes, most parents worked as well. You do what you have to do.
That's fine for children age 10 and up who can walk or ride buses on their own. what about the little kids? 5,6,7,8 yr olds? What about special needs kids?

I'm confused why the typical politicians like David Greenfield, Dov Hikind etc arent raising a major hue and outcry. HOw can this continue til the end of the school year? Seriously, what are special needs kids supposed to do? I'm almost freaking out here, my son is iyh starting a school in flatbush next school year and there's no way I would be able to send him on his own in a car or shlep him back and forth twice a day to flatbush if there is no bus service.

syrima

Post Thu, Feb 07 2013, 11:03 pm
For anyone who is driving or taking taxis due to the strike, use the reimbursement forms here: http://schools.nyc.gov/Offices.....fault
Send it in with receipts from taxis and hopefully you will get something.
I think we should strike and not send in our tax returns unless we can get a tax credit for all our yeshiva tuition dollars. Who's with me? Idea

morah

Post Fri, Feb 08 2013, 5:42 am
Clarissa wrote:
morah wrote:
Clarissa wrote:
morah wrote:
I have zero sympathy for the union behind this strike. They are greedy and selfish. Like previous posters, I know parents who are in danger of losing their jobs because they've had to come in late every day in order to get their kids to school. Where's the concern for THEIR job security? And as a teacher, all I can say is that this strike is a flipping disaster- how the heck am I supposed to do MY job when half my class is coming in late? I'm no fan of Bloomberg, but I'm with him on this one. I want to see this union go down and go down hard.
I take it you don't belong to the UFT. You think the bus drivers (who are striking for job security, not for extra anything, since those who have seniority are most likely to lose their jobs) are greedy and selfish? What makes you think they're not concerned about the children and their families? They just want to work. As far as your class coming in late, so what? People don't want to get laid off because they're older and have been doing this longer. If your class is coming in late, then parents need to hustle to get them in earlier. Nobody's stopping from getting up earlier and leaving earlier.

I left the public school system because I hated the UFT and everything it stands for. Clearly, they are concerned about their issues rather than the issue of everybody else in the world. Why are they more deserving of job security than the other 90% of us who don't get it? Why do they deserve it at the cost of making NYC pay twice per student what other major cities pay? It's sheer chutzpah for them to demand it by not working AND, as a result of their actions, putting other people's jobs in jeopardy.

As for my students being late, it's not a simple matter of getting up earlier. When a parent has 4 kids in 4 different schools, someone is going to end up late- what are they supposed to do, drop the first one off at 6 AM? I have a lot of commuting students, some of whom don't have a direct public transportation route, hence the need for busing. If this were a week, we'd grumble a little and pull through. It's now going on three weeks with no end in sight. This is completely untenable.
You left the public school system because you hated the UFT and everything it stands for? Well, I guess job security isn't so important to you. But I find that hard to believe, frankly. People don't leave the public schools because they hate the union. I know too many public and private school teachers. I have a feeling there's more to the story. Better pay and job security, and you left because you didn't like them? I have a feeling there's something missing from this. The UFT isn't perfect but people don't quit the benefits because they resent the union.

In any event, I don't see it as chutzpah to fight for jobs. People strike all the time for this. Like I said, I'm not on anybody's side in this one, since my children have never gotten transportation of any kind to school.

I'm sorry about parents that have four kids in different schools. I guess they can try carpooling with friends, taking turns bringing kids to school. In general, working parents have to deal with children having days off because of school things or whatever. It's not easy for working parents, I know. But I'm not interested in screwing over other people, either.

The only thing more to the story was that I had a baby and took some time to think about whether I was going to go back or look for something else. But yes, the significant aspect of the decision had to do with why I teach, and the union really butts against those values. FTR, I now make just as much and get just as great benefits at the private school I'm now at- I get all that without any union strongarming anyone into that. The only thing I gave up by switching was tenure, and that's fine by me. No one owes me a job, but I do owe my students an education. If they're not getting that from me, my employer should not be forced to keep me. That is how life in the real world works, and these unions think they're somehow above that.

m in Israel

Post Fri, Feb 08 2013, 6:15 am
Mama Bear wrote:
MimiMommy wrote:
Come to think of it, where I grew up there was no school bus service for anyone, at any age. People either carpooled or took public buses (at the parents' expense). Yes, most parents worked as well. You do what you have to do.
That's fine for children age 10 and up who can walk or ride buses on their own. what about the little kids? 5,6,7,8 yr olds? What about special needs kids?

I'm confused why the typical politicians like David Greenfield, Dov Hikind etc arent raising a major hue and outcry. HOw can this continue til the end of the school year? Seriously, what are special needs kids supposed to do? I'm almost freaking out here, my son is iyh starting a school in flatbush next school year and there's no way I would be able to send him on his own in a car or shlep him back and forth twice a day to flatbush if there is no bus service.

You are aware that in most of the county ouside of NYC private school students do not get free bussing? NY happens to have a very strong Catholic lobby which has over the years gotten many services for parochial schools that are not typical. What do parents in OOT cities do with their 5,6,7,8 yr olds? Either they carpool, or the schools arrange private bussing which parents pay for. Now obviously it is not simple to do this when there is a strike in the middle of the school year. But if you are worried about next year, if you know in advance that there will not be bus service, you would arrange something else. It may cost money, but it is doable.

octopus

Post Fri, Feb 08 2013, 8:21 am
Clarissa wrote:
No, I understand busing. I mean, I had a school bus for part of my childhood. I'm sure if I'd had it for my kids, I'd miss it and be unhappy about the hassle.

I totally see what you're saying about unions and heads of unions. I think some of the workers have lost the power in their own unions. It's like any business -- sometimes, when they grow, they change. I don't know if I said this earlier in the thread, but I was briefly a member of a union and am married to a union member. Both of us were/are required by our jobs. I found my union helpful during my brief membership. Once, when an employer gave me false info about the job and I worked like a dog, she refused to pay me for the work. My union called her and the check was in the mail. Couldn't have done it without her -- she saw me as this lone worker, powerless. So that time I was very grateful for them. My husband belongs to a large, strong union, although at his job he has relatively little to do with them.

By the way, Octopus, I really liked your post. Even though we're not 100% in agreement, you have really thought about this, and I agree with much of what you said.

eta: I'm not pro-union because of our connections past and present to unions. I was always pro-union, even though they're imperfect. Maybe it's because I've read and learned a lot about the history of organizing of Jewish immigrants at the turn of the last century. They were brave and saved many lives that would have been lost due to unsafe working conditions. I'm very proud of our ancestors. Well mine, exactly, since my parents were still in Europe. But American Jews.

thank you.

octopus

Post Fri, Feb 08 2013, 8:24 am
m in Israel wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:
MimiMommy wrote:

You are aware that in most of the county ouside of NYC private school students do not get free bussing? NY happens to have a very strong Catholic lobby which has over the years gotten many services for parochial schools that are not typical. What do parents in OOT cities do with their 5,6,7,8 yr olds? Either they carpool, or the schools arrange private bussing which parents pay for. Now obviously it is not simple to do this when there is a strike in the middle of the school year. But if you are worried about next year, if you know in advance that there will not be bus service, you would arrange something else. It may cost money, but it is doable.

yeah, in NJ they do not get bussing. it is also a lot less congested then where I live. having bussing keeps a lot of cars off the road. and probably keeps everything a lot safer.

Clarissa

Post Fri, Feb 08 2013, 8:31 am
Triange Shirtwaist Factory workers, before the fire:

http://www.firecompanies.com/M.....g.jpg

The women of Triangle Shirtwaist Factory, after the fire (WARNING: very upsetting, especially for people with hearts):

http://newshour.s3.amazonaws.c.....w.jpg

ILGWU striking after the fire:

http://threadforthought.net/wp.....9.jpg

One of my favorite pictures of all time:

http://griid.files.wordpress.c.....9.jpg

Last edited by Clarissa on Fri, Feb 08 2013, 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Clarissa

Post Fri, Feb 08 2013, 8:32 am
This is not about this particular strike, but some of the comments here make me say this:

Thank God those brave women of the last century were not as selfish as the women of today.

4c

Post Fri, Feb 08 2013, 9:47 am
I live in the Midwest and if the public school bus system ever went on strike, it would cripple the entire city.

Momkan

Post Fri, Feb 08 2013, 9:55 am
yes-- in lots of other places there is no bus and ppl always do carpool and such.. However, in brooklyn.. it is insanely congested!!! it takes forever to get down one avenue. It does make a difference when you are doing carpool for one hour a day or two and half-- with all the traffic.. anyways--here's hoping it will end soon!!!!!!!

saw50st8

Post Fri, Feb 08 2013, 11:56 am
Clarissa wrote:
This is not about this particular strike, but some of the comments here make me say this:

Thank God those brave women of the last century were not as selfish as the women of today.

I agree wtih this. Many of the benfits we take for granted as employees (you know, like not being forced to work on Shabbos), are directly because of men and women who fought for our rights.

I work for a union company (I'm in management) and while there are problems with unions, there are a lot of benefits. Of course, that didn't help me in the summer when I had to work during a union lockout...

farm

Post Fri, Feb 08 2013, 12:46 pm
Clarissa wrote:

By the way, Octopus, I really liked your post. Even though we're not 100% in agreement, you have really thought about this, and I agree with much of what you said.

You are impressed that she formed her opinion based on a movie she watched that was omg sooooooo good?

Clarissa

Post Fri, Feb 08 2013, 1:05 pm
farm wrote:
Clarissa wrote:

You are impressed that she formed her opinion based on a movie she watched that was omg sooooooo good?
Whoa, that's pretty nasty. No, I'm impressed because SHE ACTUALLY TRIED TO FIND OUT WHAT'S GOING ON WITH THE STRIKE and yes, watched something that might help her learn something about the subject.

But I'm also impressed with you. I'm working on honing my snotty sarcastic tone, and you're my new idol. Salut

PinkandYellow

Post Fri, Feb 08 2013, 1:09 pm
farm wrote:
Clarissa wrote:

If she can write off a whole thread of women as selfish because we are against the strike because it's a huge pain, then I guess she can like Octopus for watching an omg soooooooo good movie.

bookie

Post Fri, Feb 08 2013, 1:14 pm
I heard on the news that a puppet show place is probably going to have to shut down. He gets a lot of income from field trips that are all being cancelled. He said what he makes on the weekend is not enough for him to stay open. There are plenty of people that are late to work and have very angry bosses. The strike is not only effecting the parents. Its effecting the economy in general.

QUEENY

Post Fri, Feb 08 2013, 1:15 pm
Momkan wrote:
yes-- in lots of other places there is no bus and ppl always do carpool and such.. However, in brooklyn.. it is insanely congested!!! it takes forever to get down one avenue. It does make a difference when you are doing carpool for one hour a day or two and half-- with all the traffic.. anyways--here's hoping it will end soon!!!!!!!

It is a nightmare..the schools my kids go to..pick up is a nightmare...I have to say a prayer of thanxs to hashem everytime I come home...especially on Fridays when alot more kids are being dismissed at the same time.

PinkandYellow

Post Fri, Feb 08 2013, 2:11 pm
I am so relieved that the snow storm is over the weekend. We will probably skip school Sunday and hopefully be back to 'normal' Monday.

smilingmom

Post Fri, Feb 08 2013, 3:08 pm
I think we have to separate the two views on this thread.
1 - unions. I belong to a union and am a strong supporter of unions. Unions protect their members and use striking as a leverage. The courts have ruled that certain unions cannot strike (the Taylor law) and that others could. I assume a sanitation department strike in a snowstorm would be much more debilitating.
For all those that are envious of the bus drivers, we can each make a career change and become a school bus driver.
2 - familial responsibilities. We each have to juggle our lives to meet our obligations and it is frustrating when we get sideswiped by a strike or other people caused obstacles. This exasperation gets worse as the strike goes on. I have full sympathy for all those parents trying to work while the strike seems to continually drag on with no end in sight.

Mentioning the heroes of the labor union and recognizing their heroism does not allay the hardships of those suffering from the lack of service.
We can empathize with our fellow imamothers, while not disgracing the memory of the founders of the union movement.

Clarissa

Post Fri, Feb 08 2013, 3:39 pm
PinkandYellow wrote:
farm wrote:
Clarissa wrote:

If she can write off a whole thread of women as selfish because we are against the strike because it's a huge pain, then I guess she can like Octopus for watching an omg soooooooo good movie.
Nobody was written off as selfish because of the strike. I said that people who bash organizing and protecting workers are selfish and ignorant about how life was for workers before they started organizing and standing up for themselves. I stand by that. People who would like to go back to life before unions, when people (including children) routinely died in on-the-job mishaps, had to work night and day, had no protection about salary or job security or respect, because they don't like the inconvenience of this particular strike, are selfish.
Page 3 of 12   Previous  1  2  3  4 10  11  12  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children