Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Nut-free classrooms (threads merged)
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

Raisin

Post Wed, Apr 25 2007, 4:40 pm
Gr, why don't you tell your kids teacher he (or she) is not allowed sugar. You could even say it makes him go hyper (2 of my neices had this) if you think they won't listen. I have a student this year who is not allowed any candy. Her mother lets her have chocolate, yogurt and ice cream. (I think she is worried about their teeth, but also health and you can't ban all sugar) They also only have brown bread, and no fruit juice, only water or milk. I would not dream of going against her wishes.

Maybe the teacher would stop bringing in so much candy if she knew one kid was not allowed.

BoomChickaPop

Post Wed, Apr 25 2007, 8:57 pm
I think that schools should be nut free.
It's very difficult to judge unless you are in that person's shoes. It's definitely tough if you have a child that really likes peanut butter sandwiches and can't have them because his/her school is nut free. But, imagine what it's like for the child that can have a reaction from nuts, that is far far worse. I can talk because I know people that are allergic, if having schools go nut free can prevent children from having terrible reactions requiring hospitilization, then I think it is a chessed for people to go along with the nut-free rules - you are helping others avoid a chas v'shalom bad situation.
You can say that kids should not share, but in reality...kids will be kids and there will be some sharing.

gryp

Post Wed, Apr 25 2007, 9:05 pm
btw, I spoke to the teacher today. Very Happy
she's great!!!

miri123

Post Wed, Apr 25 2007, 11:10 pm
GR are our sons in the same class at Lub Yesh on Crown? He is three yrs old B"H.
My son is allergic to all the nuts except PEANUTS and allergic to eggs and dairy as well. So his PB sandwich was his stapple in playgroup but now I'm not allowed to send that. I send ww pretzels, rice cakes, fruit and rarely hot dogs as well.
I understand the fear I had to call hatzala a few times when his face swelled up after eating cashews and another time was avocado, it was so scary. This dear child of mine knows ambulances very well and is not fond of the epipen.

Marion

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 3:28 am
I'm deathly (anaphylactic) allergic to peanuts. As a result I also don't eat tree nuts, and frequently have to avoid dried fruit as well, as it's all processed in the same machinery. My son tested positive for a peanut allergy before his first birthday...we don't know yet how severe because he's NEVER eaten it so we don't know how he would react. We'll have him tested again around his 2nd birthday, and then his 5th, to gage the "progress" of the allergy.

Motek

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 1:35 pm
southernbubby wrote:
What is to stop a passenger from munching on peanuts or candy bars with peanut butter or nuts in them? While the airlines are not at fault, I doubt that passengers consider the allergies of others before purchasing food for the trip.

Of course not. And should passengers not wear perfume because someone might be allergic? Don't see why it's the airlines problem and why they should fear being sued. Seems like another example of shifting blame/reponsibility to others.

shayna82

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 1:38 pm
so motek, u dont see a problem with a woman flying a day before her due date. you think that its not the arilines buisness to say no to her coming on the plane? if g-d forbid she would go in labor on the plane and everything that comes along with that, they arent alowed to protect themselves, AND your safety by instituting these laws???

miri123

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 1:40 pm
Motek a peanut allergy is very different from being allergic to perfumes. I never heard of ppl having anaphylactic reaction to fragances.

shayna82

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 1:43 pm
I just think that its very easy to judge when a person has not seen people having reactions. it is so common these days, that I find it hard to believe people questioning the rules that educators have institued. what happened to caring abut ur fellow jew, especially a tiny four year old that is just trying to eat what dosnt kill him??

gryp

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 2:44 pm
Quote:
How many of the people allergic to peanuts are deathly allergic?

quoting myself.
and how many of these people are on airplanes?

Motek

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 2:56 pm
shayna82 wrote:
so motek, u dont see a problem with a woman flying a day before her due date. you think that its not the arilines buisness to say no to her coming on the plane? if g-d forbid she would go in labor on the plane and everything that comes along with that, they arent alowed to protect themselves, AND your safety by instituting these laws???

I think the airlines could say: We will take no responsibility for pregnant women flying our airline. Consult with your doctor. Fly at your own risk.

I don't see the need for a law.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 3:11 pm
Perfume can cause wheezing and depending on how bad the wheezing is, is how dangerous the perfume is to an allergic person. I think that the point is that there are public places where the onus will be on the allergic person rather than the rest of society to stay safe.

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 10:18 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
Is the ban only against peanuts or all nut varieties?

The thing is, these kids won't always be protected from nuts, they're going to come in contact with these foods in other setting and will need to know what they shouldn't be eating.

You can't expect a 4-5-6-7-8-9- to A) not share and B) read ingredients.

For those who don't deal with anapylactic allergies--BH, for those of us that Have airborn allergies, we live with it everyday. I am an adult, I can remove myself from the room if I see my allergy triggers, Little kids do not have that control. Any parent who would willingly put someone elses child saftey as an afterthought, is wrong.

My kids go to a peanut free school and are in no way deprived.

Ima'la

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 1:05 am
Mommy3.5 wrote:

Um, no - you can and should. At least the sharing part. My 4 yr. old is very careful to ask before eating something and to make sure someone checks the ingredients. If s/o shares with him in cheder, he puts it in his knapsack and brings it home to ask me if he can eat it. You should teach and expect even a young child to be on top of his own allergies because his caregivers can make mistakes. Even as parents, we sometimes get mixed up and by accident pour cow's milk instead of soy milk into my son's cereal bowl - and immediately meet with protest from him.

OTOH, if a child will react to smelling the allergen or to touching a doorknob that s/o touched with "contaminated" hands, then it's not just a matter of him protecting himself. Also, if a child's allergy is life-threatening, it's not worth taking the chance by having it around.

Btw, Bamba is the worst - worse than a PB sandwich - b/c the crumbs get all over EVERYTHING and stick to hands and faces for HOURS!

gryp

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 9:28 am
Ima'la wrote:
Mommy3.5 wrote:

Um, no - you can and should. At least the sharing part. My 4 yr. old is very careful to ask before eating something and to make sure someone checks the ingredients. If s/o shares with him in cheder, he puts it in his knapsack and brings it home to ask me if he can eat it. You should teach and expect even a young child to be on top of his own allergies because his caregivers can make mistakes. Even as parents, we sometimes get mixed up and by accident pour cow's milk instead of soy milk into my son's cereal bowl - and immediately meet with protest from him.

OTOH, if a child will react to smelling the allergen or to touching a doorknob that s/o touched with "contaminated" hands, then it's not just a matter of him protecting himself. Also, if a child's allergy is life-threatening, it's not worth taking the chance by having it around.

Btw, Bamba is the worst - worse than a PB sandwich - b/c the crumbs get all over EVERYTHING and stick to hands and faces for HOURS!

Thumbs Up

Mishie

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 10:48 am
Ours does, because there is one kid in the school who is very deathly alergic to nuts.

I was just wondering if many schools have this policy also just to be on the safe side...

momo2boys

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 10:54 am
Yes I heard of it, allergy to nuts can be very dangerous, schools don't want any responsiblity on that, so they just make it nut free.

chen

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 11:56 am
Yep, anyone who shows the slightest sign of being even a little nutty is advised that "you would probably be happier somewhere else." LOL

But seriously, I think they banned only peanuts.

shopaholic

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 12:10 pm
I worked in a schoo, who has it & guess what, the kid was MY student!!!

mimivan

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 12:36 pm
chen wrote:
Yep, anyone who shows the slightest sign of being even a little nutty is advised that "you would probably be happier somewhere else." LOL

But seriously, I think they banned only peanuts.

under ds' gan's no nut policy, all first-time parents are banned.
Page 3 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics