Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Help me come to terms with the name Tzirel
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 10:13 pm
A friend of mine also has this name in her husband’s family. I remember when she was pregnant she was saying how she really doesn’t want to give this name. She ended up naming her daughter Tzirel and calls her Tziry. She’s the cutest little thing who has a ton of personality! Her name suits her so well!!

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 10:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m definitely going to do it IYH, it’s just that I need some moral support at the moment.

Well, I hope I was a useful part of the pep talk that's this thread.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 10:22 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Well, I hope I was a useful part of the pep talk that's this thread.

Definitely. Everyone here was so helpful and supportive.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 10:25 pm
amother Stoneblue wrote:
what names do you prefer?

do you have any one you loved, even a rebetzin, relative, a woman u admire, who u also love the name?

Regardless the name would be a family name and it would be from his side. I gave the last two names, and I don’t have girls names anymore. We happen to have used most of my husband’s family names as well- even my mother in law laughed and said she had to think of more names for us. There are a few that I know of, one my husband strongly doesn’t want to give. I don’t have any strong reason not to give this name.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 10:31 pm
I’ll join in and say I gave my son a name I didn’t love. I didn’t hate it, but it was not one I would have ever chosen. But it was DH’s grandfather’s name so it was just a given. It’s the only name I’ve used that I felt so ambivalent about at the time.

It’s now a bunch of years later and the name is so HIM. I can’t imagine him as anyone else. Doesn’t bother me at all.

For the record, I think Tziri is a very sweet name.

amother
Sage

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 10:39 pm
My name is Tzirel. I do not love it! But I like the nickname Tziri. It's super cute.

I gave my daughter a name after my grandmother that was even more "unique" than Tzirel. After calling her if for three years so far, I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE it.

My sister named after 2 grandmothers with weird names. We are making them cool again. Once you start using the name, you will love it, especially since you don't hate it.

BTW, I asked another Tzirel...the hebrew equivalent is "Adi" meaning jewel. I then confirmed with others. The equivalent is not Sarah.

familyfirst

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 12:54 am
Tzirel is such a beautiful name!
Even better than tziri!

It’s elegant and unique and has its own flair!

Only nachas!

salt

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 1:06 am
My DH had wanted a name for his daughter since he was about 15 - he told me he used to say that be"H if and when he has a girl he wants to name her that - it was after a relative who he absolutely thought the world of.

I didn't like the name - I thought it was old fashioned and thought it would be mispronounced in Hebrew by our Anglo relatives. We agreed on a nickname that was easier to pronounce, even though DH doesn't really go for nicknames.

But by the time DD was about 3 and started gan, we were already using her real name, because the nickname was too Anglo for Israelis to use! Family members still call her by the nickname but out of the house she's always her real name, and it really grew one her and on me!

I also discovered that it was much more used than I thought it was.

Out of all the yiddish names you could have to use, Tzirel is a very pretty one IMHO Smile

strawberry cola

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 1:42 am
Would you feel better about the name if you spelled it Cyril or Cirel?

Reality

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 2:02 am
strawberry cola wrote:
Would you feel better about the name if you spelled it Cyril or Cirel?

Cyril is a boys name.

ShirahShiraleh

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 3:15 am
Tzirel is a beautiful name. I wanted to name a daughter Tzirel Tzipporah but DH wasn't keen!

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 3:22 am
I love some of my kids' names. love love love. and then I have two children whose names I was like ...meeeh... unhappy with in the beginning. I agreed to name them the names becuase I understood the importance etc. today I wouldnt want it any other way. being akinpeturim I asked our rebbe (10 hours after birth) telling him I dislike the name what tod do...he gave me a brocho and promissed the child will prosper with this name- needless to say iw ast hapy, hormonal...) the names grew on me (not in one night...it took several months), today (they are 2 and 5 years old) I dont think about this problem anymore, the names suit them perfetly and they are amazing kids ba'h.

amother
Anemone

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 6:02 am
Tzirel is such a pretty name. The Tzirels I know are all really happy and bubbly, the type that light up a room.

OP you're lucky to have family to name after! Dh and I can't name after our families because nobody's been frum for generations before us. We wish we had a nice big frum family ka"h like you do. Having to give a name you don't love might be the one down side to a big extended family...but in return you get a large network of people looking out for you, lots of cousins for your kids, a sense of stability and security, a recognized place in the community, you never have to make YT alone, you never have to make a simcha alone, you went to frum schools and didn't have to figure things out on your own, you never have to be ashamed of all the things you don't know and all the ways you'll never fit in....

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 7:37 am
I know a few adorable tziris so I always think of the name as an adorable one. I don’t usually like Yiddish names but I think this one is beautiful.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 8:47 am
Tzirel is a special name to me. My grandmother AH had a cousin Tzirel who was such a special woman. During WWII she traded places with her older sister, because she was physically stronger than her, and wanted her sister to survive. As such, she was sent out to the fields and she gave her sister her coveted place in the kitchens. She never had children (her sister BH had a beautiful family), but she was my parents' Shadchan, so she had so many merits, so many spiritual descendants. I would love if my family would perpetuate her name.

amother
Lotus

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 8:59 am
My name is Tzirel and even though I don't like yiddish names in general, I've always loved mine. My mother always told me that it means jewel and it also sort of rhymes with jewel. I used to think that if I had an English name, I would call myself Julia which is so pretty but I actually like Tzirel better.

metacognizant

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 9:08 am
I know you said your husband won’t add a name, BUT what if it was a name related to his Bubee? Like something from the parsha of her birthday or her yartzeit, or something that sounds like her English name (if she had one), etc? Like if her yahrtzeit was Parshas Shemos use the name “Tziril Miriam” (I just made that up but you get the point). That way if your daughter decides later in life that Tziril is too difficult to use outside of frum Jewish communities (where no one will recognize or be able to say the name) she will have a middle name to go by.

I grew up with a Chaya Tziril whom everyone called Tziri and she was a very happy, bubbly girl beloved by everyone. So I have very positive associations with the name. And I’m partial to names that are “hard” to say (Jewish pride!). But that’s my taste, not yours. This could be a compromise for you and your husband.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 10:28 am
Would you like it more if in English you spell it Tzirelle? Makes it look more feminine. Doesn't change the actual name at all, just Ann vs Anne.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 10:30 am
For English you can spell it Cyrille or Syrille.

Or maybe Cheryl.

amother
Banana

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 10:34 am
You will definitely get used to it and come to like it over time but maybe a creative nickname will help you ease into it.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names