Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Baby girl name Rivka
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Winterberry

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 5:04 am
My daughter is rivka, called Rikki. She is not all like that. She is. A sweetheart who wouldn't hurt a fly.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 5:20 am
If there is one thing we all can learn from this is..if you do not like a name for whatever reason, please do not tell the couple because they will take you seriously. when we had our first, a neighbor said to my DH, ''Dont name your baby ....... All The ...... I know have problems. I really loved that name and wanted to use it because it had to do with holiday. But I couldn't do it because of what he said. (I was 20 at the time).

amother
Banana

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 5:41 am
My daughter Rivka is a yummy, talented girl with a healthy personality.
Her sisters with other names have even stronger personalities..

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 6:29 am
This is so completely bizarre and I think that if anyone actually did an "authentic" survey there would be unpleasant personalties with every possible name.

It is the basis of superstition to ascribe ONE occurrence to being somehow "true" and not just a coincidence. Someone knew an unpleasant Rivka and therefore it was the name - and conveniently didn't remember the 50 wonderful Rivkas.

My mother was a Rivka and her English name was Regina - which is Latin for Queen and is part of the official title for English Queens - e.g. Elizabeth Regina was the official name for the late beloved Queen. A fitting name for a Jewish woman since we are all supposed to be Queens of our home.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 6:33 am
amother OP wrote:
I heard from someone to stay away from name since all Rivkas are very strong people not in a positive way. Did anyone ever hear this concept before about the name Rivka?

My grandmother is Rivka, although it’s not the name she goes by. She IS a very strong woman, and I would be proud to have a descendant named after her.
I’ve never heard this concept before. Was Rivka Imeinu also string in a bad way? I think not. What does that even mean?

amother
Firethorn

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 6:39 am
I never heard of it but now that I’m thinking of the Rivkas I know they are all ambitious go getters. Very kind. Givers more than takers. Chesed like the original Rivka. I wouldn’t be afraid of this beautiful name according to the ones I know with them.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 6:43 am
Okay this thread is ridiculous. I have an amazing sister Rivka. I know someone named Leah that's an impossible person... now you're gonna tell me that I shouldn't use that name?
If the OP had started this thread and said I heard that all Tovas are tough and difficult but I love that name would people also start responding oh yeah I know a few Tovas and they're hard to deal with now that I think about it...

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 6:49 am
My MIL is named Rivka, no middle name. She's an amazing MIL, BH, I feel very lucky to have her. She does have a bit of a strong mind/personality in certain ways, but honestly, not very dissimilar from my own.
What's wrong with a good strong name, anyway?
Rivka Imeinu needed to be strong to go against her mother and brother's wishes to leave right away with Eliezer.
She needed to be strong to go through the years of infertility, and then strong to carry 2 such different souls at the same time, and then raise them.
She needed to be strong to help Yaakov "steal" his (rightful) brachos.
She needed to be strong to send away her beloved son, for his safety.
What's wrong with being strong?

amother
Feverfew

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 6:53 am
Strong personality is NOT a disadvantage. It’s beautiful. Do you want a wishy washy child instead?
Anyway that’s not such a brilliant thing to say to someone. I would disregard it completely.
I have a rivka and she’s a beautiful soul. Does she know what she want and stand for her rights, sure! How is that a bad thing?

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 7:34 am
This is not my religion. Thank G-d.

amother
Phlox

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 7:36 am
Ema of 5 wrote:
My grandmother is Rivka, although it’s not the name she goes by. She IS a very strong woman, and I would be proud to have a descendant named after her.
I’ve never heard this concept before. Was Rivka Imeinu also string in a bad way? I think not. What does that even mean?

She was strong in what many people believe is a bad way for a woman, but it's a good thing really.

amother
Latte

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 7:51 am
amother Blueberry wrote:
One of the select woman whom I hold in the highest regard is named Rivkah. She is strong, a powerhouse. She is the author/editor of books which inspire in Torah and Mikvah, is a featured and renowned speaker and educator, a role model and maternal figure to many, and an advocate. I would love to be 1/2 the woman she is (and yet she would absolutely insist I am just as much as she is).
(Give a genuine hug if you know who this Chabad Rebbitzen is😉)

Your Rivka is awesome!

yes, strong can be a good attribute! I am another Rivka, I am a huge people pleaser but I am also strong (I hope). Not nearly as wonderful as your Rivka.

And every time I read about the orginal (kind but also strong) Rivka I admire her again. I literally just learned the passuk and Rashi with my son that Yaakov loved Esav and Rivka loved Yitzchak and my son was like, why couldn't Yitzchak see Esavs real personality? Rivka comes over as a really strong minded, but kind person.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 8:53 am
This is so ridiculous it doesn't even deserve a response, but that never stopped me.

What's next? Don't use the name Sarah or Hannah because both were infertile for many years. Don't use the name Leah because she was a less-favored wife, and her father had to use deception to get her a husband. Don't use the name Penina because she was mean to Hannah and was punished by having most of her children die. Don't use the name Rachel because not only was she infertile for a long time, but she died young. Don't use the name Esther because she was forced into marriage with a nonJew. Don't use the name Michal because she was forcibly removed from her husband and had either no children at all or no children after she dissed David, depending on which commentary you follow. Don't use the name Tamar because one was a victim of incestuous r@pe and the other was widowed at a young age and ultimately had to seduce her own father-in-law in order to conceive and perpetuate her late husband's name. Don't use the name Noah because he was a drunkard. Don't use the name Avraham or Yitzhak because each had a son who was OTD. Don't use the name Yaakov because he had a hard life. Don't use the name Dina because she was violated by a nonJew. Don't use the name Shimshon because he consorted with Philistines, had relations with a Philistine woman, and ultimately committed suicide. Don't use the name Saul because he was mentally ill, tried to murder his son-in-law, and through his own disobedience failed to establish a dynasty. Don't use the name Yehonatan because he died young. Don't use the name Shlomo because he disobeyed the three "lavim" of a king and was seduced by his many wives into tolerating idolatry.

Chuck it all and give your kids numerical names, like the Romans: Primus, Secundus, Tertius, Quartus, Quintus, Sextus, Septimus, Octavius, and so on.

amother
PlumPink

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 8:56 am
amother OP wrote:
I always loved the name and was looking forward to naming my daughter with this name and she came out so strongly against the name and basically told me good luck with naming my daughter with this name

Why would she know the name before you named it?
And if you did name it already- she should not be commenting negatively about it!

amother
Currant

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 8:58 am
There is a concept that names are links to personalities, that people with those names are likely to have those traits. But I don't know whether it holds true nowadays, and also every midda has its positive and negative sides.
Someone who is easygoing and laidback is great to get along with, things won't bother them and they will take life in their stride. The flip side is they may take their time over things, things may not get done etc.
I would speak to my rav with such questions and see what they say.

Busybee5

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 9:02 am
amother cornflower wrote:
My mother never heard it based on a gadol, but she hates the name Rivka and we (her daughters) all hate that name too.

She knew two Rivkys that were "strong" I.e. stubborn, selfish, narcissistic and just plain horrible people. They were part of her extended family (but not related by blood - married into) and I knew them too, so I agree. We absolutely hate that name.

Do I know lots of nice Rivkas and Rivkys? Of course.

But having known two horrible Rivkys, it's literally one of the last names I would want to name my child.

The irony, of course, is that my husband's recently deceased grandmother was named Rivka, so it may happen anyway...

(BTW I also heard "Chaya" is a bad name to give... mostly from this website.)

And I heard that Rochel's have a hard life!!
So what names does that leave us with?! Lol

WhatFor

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 9:07 am
amother Moccasin wrote:
My name is Rivka and I'm the world's biggest people pleaser. Please like my post 🫠

LOL LOL LOL Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

amother
Nasturtium

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 9:09 am
Busybee5 wrote:
And I heard that Rochel's have a hard life!!
So what names does that leave us with?! Lol

Thing 1 and Thing 2, of course!

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 9:10 am
amother Firethorn wrote:
I never heard of it but now that I’m thinking of the Rivkas I know they are all ambitious go getters. Very kind. Givers more than takers. Chesed like the original Rivka. I wouldn’t be afraid of this beautiful name according to the ones I know with them.

I am Rivka, my best friend is Rivka. All the Rivka’s I know including my namesake are strong doers who all excel in Chessed. My dh always says I need to stop letting people take advantage of me but I think I’m just by nature very giving an I strive for a balance.

cupcake123

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 9:20 am
Rivka is literally the most common name in my contacts. I must have like 15 Rivkas there and they are all different.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names