Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Adding a Candle
Previous  1  2  3

technic

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 7:40 pm
freilich good 4 u...im so sorry abt ur loss, I read abt it on another thread and it was heartbreaking Crying

raizy

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 10:11 pm
sorry degoldy I also lit a candle every friday night. my aunt also lit and in my father family all the women or girls lit a candle in my chassidus girls and women lite. we also light one for every kid and I also light 2 oil .

supermom

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 5:31 am
Rochel Leah wrote:
I know someone who lights a candel for each of her grandchildren too. that could get a bit much and I think it is a personal "chumra"

there is a woman that a friend of mine knows that she does this also an she lights every shabbos 98 candles

sarahd

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 6:48 am
Her dining room must be an oven. How long does it take her to "tzind lecht"?

technic

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 7:02 am
prob starts straight after havdala Wink

Pearl

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 8:21 am
Quote:
supermom wrote:
there is a woman that a friend of mine knows that she does this also an she lights every shabbos 98 candles

for real???? shock

Chanie

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 10:23 am
my mother lights for her grandchildren... now she lights only23 candles.. but who knows what the future will be. My sister's MIL lights for her grandchildren too... she has 14 children and 9 years ago I remember her saying she had 30 grandchildren, I have no idea how many they are today. My sister said she has an entire table on the side for candles.

... and when we are all at my mother for shabbos... that another 28 with my siblings and their girls over 3....
thats 51 candle
When we are all there my mother spreads them out on small trays across the 2 tables and some on the kitchen table.

Last edited by Chanie on Thu, Apr 07 2005, 10:29 am; edited 2 times in total

daisy

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 10:25 am
edited.

Last edited by daisy on Wed, Aug 10 2005, 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pearl

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 11:11 am
chanie, wow.....bli ayin ra!!!

IndyMom

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 12:23 pm
I asked my rav one time about about adding a candle not lighting candles befoer shabbos and I think the situation was becuase I was supposed to be inthe hospital for that shabbos. He told me that you only add a candle because you forgot about shabbos. yuou don't add a candle if you are just not able to light but would have otherwise. Luckily I did not have to stay in the hospital for shabbos and we got home a couple minutes before shkiya so I had time to light.

stem

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 1:02 pm
Techinically, you can be yotzei lighting even if you use an electric "Sabbath lamp" which a lot of hospitals provide, or in really desparate situations, you can light a lightbulb in the room and have it in mind for shabbos. I'm not sure if you make a bracha with the electric lights, but at least you have some light in honor of shabbos.
Like Indymom said, only when you actually forget to light do you have to add another candle for the rest of your life.

proudmom

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 6:57 pm
Are you suppose to light for your grandchildren? I never heard of that before

Chanie

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 10:57 pm
it's not something you are supposed to do, it was just something my mother saw someone else do, and found it beautiful.

Sunshine

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 11:09 pm
Maybe that is why the lady lights 98 candles - for her children and grandchildren. Do those ppl also light for their sil and dil?

Tefila

Post Fri, Apr 08 2005, 12:00 am
Quote:
it was just something my mother saw someone else do, and found it beautiful.

Ia"h I should be zocheh to be able to do that too Smile

Chanie

Post Fri, Apr 08 2005, 11:08 am
Sunshine wrote:
Do those ppl also light for their sil and dil?

My mother wanted to... but my father put his foot down... although that would have only be 6 more (after we are all moarried off).

supermom

Post Sun, Apr 10 2005, 1:43 pm
yeah I wonder where people pick it up from lighting for their grandchildren?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note