Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What school did you go to?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5 22  23  24  Next

anonymrs

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 12:00 pm
amother wrote:
Im not sure what you mean by representing a school. I am my own person and in no way did my school shape/form me. I am unique and would have been this way regardless of which school I went to. I do think its very much nature because I am very strong but have watched others be influenced by their school I.e. becoming all frum and yeshivish and they were weaker characters.
People conform when they are afraid to be themselves

I completely disagree with this. Everyone is influenced and shaped, to some degree, by their upbringing, environment, school experience, and family background.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 12:27 pm
Prospect elementry, Prospect HS, Brooklyn College. I would say I am a product of Prospect and pretty typical. I have heard things have changed towards the left, so I probably wouldn't send my kids their now.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 12:29 pm
Typical graduate of my elementary school, Bais Sarah in Bp, Brooklyn.
Not at all a poster student of my HS but not because I was a rebel, but more because I never fit in there in the first place.
ETA: would love to send my children to Bais Sarah.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 12:34 pm
Bais Yaakov Montreal, Michlalah, Stern College

I don't consider myself at all a typical BY Montreal girl which should be obvious by the fact that I went to Michlalah & then Stern which were both very much frowned upon by the administration.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 12:38 pm
Three different highschools in three different states, all far from NY. I gained from each of them, but am not typical of any of them. I'm within the range of typical from seminary, Afikei Torah.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 12:38 pm
amother wrote:
Bais Yaakov Montreal, Michlalah, Stern College

I don't consider myself at all a typical BY Montreal girl which should be obvious by the fact that I went to Michlalah & then Stern which were both very much frowned upon by the administration.

I went to Bais Yakkov Montreal too. I don't think they frowned upon michlalah and Stern. There was a pretty big range of types there.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 1:01 pm
amother wrote:
Bnos yisroel viznitz in monsey.
I do feel like I represent my school. (Except that I have Internet access Wink )

Hi there, Wave Wave me to! But I don't represent my school.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 1:05 pm
Am I the first from BYLA?

I can't say that there is a very specific "poster girl" but I probably was at some point. Maybe even still am to an extent.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 1:09 pm
amother wrote:
I went to BYA. I have no idea what I am Smile not stereotypical BYA anymore but I think they'd be proud of where I am. It shaped me in some ways. Taught me some things etc. but I'm more chassidish not litvish now.

My husband appreciates my upbringing and values that I learned in school, so yes in some ways I am a product of my school.
I also went to BYA. No clue if I'm a poster child for them but most likely not. I don't feel like there's a stereotypical graduate of bya. I mean no one would be surprised if I tell them where I want to school, it's not like I don't fit in there. What would a typical bya graduate appear like to you?

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 1:14 pm
I went to Lubavitch schools my whole life. I would say which one but it was small and in any case most Lubavitch schools have similar aims for their graduates.

I don't know if I am a poster child, maybe in some ways. I went on Shlichus so probably I am. I send my daughters to the same school.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 1:31 pm
anonymrs wrote:
I completely disagree with this. Everyone is influenced and shaped, to some degree, by their upbringing, environment, school experience, and family background.

You are entitled to disagree but to say 'Everyone' is influenced is completely untrue as I myself am living proof.
I have not been influenced or shaped by my school in any way and maybe because the school had many faults which is why I didnt put the name out there.
My dh and I are individuals who are very much on the same page and we choose a path for our children that we feel right about.
I have put my school very much out of my mind and would hate to represent it.
I think its nice when you feel like a product of your school and you follow a certain path because life is less complicated that way.
For us what we are doing is working well and we put our hearts and souls into our children by doing what we feel is best.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 1:45 pm
amother wrote:
Am I the first from BYLA?

I can't say that there is a very specific "poster girl" but I probably was at some point. Maybe even still am to an extent.

Im from BYLA...

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 1:52 pm
Any gerer graduates here? From 1995?

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 1:52 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
I'm a survivor of Yeshiva of Spring Valley and a graduate from Bruriah. I do not represent YSV at all, but I'm fairly typical of a Bruriah graduate. It's diverse somewhat, but it's diverse within MO...

I went to bruriah too, but we had bais yaacov to mo within our grade. What Would you say is a typical bruriah grad?

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 1:55 pm
amother wrote:
Im from BYLA...

Hi! Very Happy Wave What year? (Approximately if you don't want to give the exact...)

Ilovemaryland

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 2:03 pm
I went to Poly in Baltimore... http://www.bpi.edu/

You won't find a better school than that. I'm not representative of my school because I'm not an actuary or neurosurgeon with a genius-level IQ...

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 2:06 pm
satmar willi here!!! wud definetly send my kids there!

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 2:08 pm
A "typical" Bruriah grad really depends on your graduation year. It used to be the only all girls school in NJ north of Lakewood, so it really had all kinds. Since the departure of Mrs. Newman A"H from the school, and the opening of Mrs. Stern's school in Pasaaic, it has definitely veered to the left. Much fewer girls going to Michalah this year, with less than 1 handful going to Darchei Bina. The dress code is the same, but there is much less enforcement of the rules.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 2:10 pm
Satmar BP graduate. I do not represent it at all.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 2:17 pm
amother wrote:
A "typical" Bruriah grad really depends on your graduation year. It used to be the only all girls school in NJ north of Lakewood, so it really had all kinds. Since the departure of Mrs. Newman A"H from the school, and the opening of Mrs. Stern's school in Pasaaic, it has definitely veered to the left. Much fewer girls going to Michalah this year, with less than 1 handful going to Darchei Bina. The dress code is the same, but there is much less enforcement of the rules.

(Sorry for the tangent everyone) I didn't know mrs stern opened a school. So now the more Rw crowd goes to her school? Bergen county girls go to maayanot. So it's centrist central jersey girls now?
It's interesting because soon after I graduated mrs Newman left and the school had apparently moved more to the right.
Page 4 of 24   Previous  1  2  3  4  5 22  23  24  Next Recent Topics