Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Deleted
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Ruchel

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 12:23 pm
Alexandra Chava wrote:
MeThinks wrote:

Discuss it with your Rav.

Well, his first name is Paul ... Wink

mine is Olivier LOL

People would laugh at me if I went around saying stuff like that... even at the consistoire many go by secular names. The chief rabbi is Joseph. Before, it was René.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 12:34 pm
My name is Fagie. I was named for my maternal grandmother Fagie and am called that by my parents and family. My Hebrew name, which is my most commonly used name, was given to me in shul and it is Ziporah. That name will also be on my gravestone. My English name on the birth cert and for all business matters is Robin. These are all bird names and all common.

Purplehair

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 12:34 pm
Ruchel, I've always wondered how to properly pronounce the name Rene (I don't know how to type in the accent mark either Sad). Could you possibly transliterate it for me?
(Is it pronounced anything like the girl's name Renee? (Reh Nay)?
Just curious, and I've always liked that name (if I'm pronouncing it correctly!).

Ruchel

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 12:40 pm
René and Renée are ruh-neh Smile

Purplehair

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 1:03 pm
Ruchel wrote:
René and Renée are ruh-neh Smile

So, when said properly in French, it ends in "eh" as oppossed to "ay", right? (I think the English pronounciation of the female version ends in "ay")
Still a beautiful name, IMHO.
Thanks for the info Smile

Ruchel

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 1:09 pm
exactly. "ay" could be French, but with an English accent, a la Laurel and Hardy Twisted Evil

Purplehair

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 1:12 pm
Ruchel wrote:
exactly. "ay" could be French, but with an English accent, a la Laurel and Hardy Twisted Evil

OK, now you lost me! What does (Stan) Laurel and (Oliver) Hardy have to do with Rene (or Renee)?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 1:19 pm
they have a huge English accent when the movie is in French! LOL

Purplehair

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 4:58 pm
Ruchel wrote:
they have a huge English accent when the movie is in French! LOL

LOL
Yeah, I guess they would!
(That explains things, I really have no working knowledge of French, so I wouldn't be watching a movie in said language. Their accent would be the only thing that would seem familiar Very Happy )

Tzippora

Post Sat, Feb 16 2008, 7:05 pm
Just for the record, my name Tzippora (obviously) and my English name is Stefanie. I use it legally and at work, and I like it a lot. Maybe a German version of that, or a name that starts with S? That might be a little easier.

queen

Post Sat, Feb 16 2008, 8:01 pm
I have not been following this thread at all, so not sure if this name has been mentioned---- but Tzipporah is the female of bird. So how about YONA? (a kind of bird- dov)

I've heard of both boys and girls named Yona.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 8:47 am
I thought of something else too... is there a German version of Zipporah? how do they call her in the Bible in German?
In French, Tzipora is Séphora, just like Shimon is Simon, Rahel is Rachel, Moshe is Moise, Mordechai is Mardochée... what about Tzipora in German?

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 2:15 pm
Deleted

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jan 18 2018, 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

crbc

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 2:29 pm
Zlata Very Happy I actually have both, Zlata and Faigy Very Happy

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 18 2008, 2:17 am
Zlata I love, but Alexandra doesn't want Jewish names, right?

I like Linnet, but in France the association is "not so clever bird".
Philomel I like a lot!

Taube... I almost called dd Tauba but we simplified it to Toba. Not so problematic since it's her third name, but still.

Fanny/Feiga link: probably similar to Moshe/Maurice or Ber/bernard, no meaning link but sound/initial. It's a common thing at least in Europe...

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 18 2008, 6:23 am
hey ... nobody really wants to be called "Fanny" ... so ... run run run ... Twisted Evil

Purplehair

Post Mon, Feb 18 2008, 6:26 am
Alexandra Chava wrote:

I have now put together a list with 8 girl names meaning "bird" or a special type of bird:
Aderyn
Alouette
Avis
Linnet
Llinos
Mavis
Philomel
Robin

Of the names you've listed above, I happen to really like Alouette, Linnet, and Robin. Of course, since I am a native English speaker, I have no clue as to whether or not they have negative meanings in another language. I just think they sound pretty. The name Robin conjures up a beautiful girl with bright blue eyes (of course, my SIL who has that very name as a middle name happens to hate it. And she doesn't have blue eyes either LOL ). I still like Zoe an awful lot too.
BTW..what does Philomel mean? I've never heard of it before.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 18 2008, 6:42 am
http://www.behindthename.com/name/philomel

the mythology story, though, is nasty

PHILOMELA

Usage: Greek Mythology
From Greek Φιλομηλα (Philomela) which meant "friend of song" from φιλος (philos) "friend" and μελος (melos) "song". In Greek myth this was the name of the sister-in-law of Tereus, who raped her and cut out her tongue. Prokne avenged her sister by killing her son by Tereus, and then Tereus tried to kill Philomela, but she was transformed by the gods into a nightingale.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Feb 18 2008, 7:06 am
Deleted

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jan 18 2018, 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Feb 18 2008, 7:10 am
Deleted

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jan 18 2018, 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names